Stereotype and social life

@klaudine (3652)
Indonesia
I believe you have lived in a place where society has a big influence to your view towards another people. I do. In the place I live now, society has the biggest influence of what people do and what people say, because it is there in our culture. The society makes some stereotype and taught you to believe the same thing about those stereotype and without you ever realize you started to make stereotype of people around you, other than generalize some people. I learned so much and I think this is bad. Thinking about people who makes stereotyping are probably know nothing about those people. They see people who works at night as a juvenile (what about night shift working people?). They see girls who are smoking as a h00k3r (how about the celebrity who also smokes?). They see people who have tattoos as a criminal (what about the tattoo artisan?). Without knowing the people deeper, they generalize people based on the stereotype and limit the social life with them. Not only in my society, to be honest I see it in myLot that some people still have some stereotype about some other people. They judge people based on their unreasonable prejudice about someone hobby and habit (hobby+habit = hobbit?) And I think that it is not fair. It is bad not only for the people that has been judge by their hobby, habit or their occupation. It is one of the reason why people still there in their own zone making limitation in relationship with people outside their social life. They make prejudice about people with different life style. what do you think about it?
@navas4u (185)
True! I am also living in such a society.I think the society's control over a person is good to an extent.But it will be bad when it come to an extreme level.Every human being living in a community do consider our fellow being upto an extent.There are many pros and cons for that. Anyway I accept the control of the socity upto an extent.And if I am hundred percent sure that I am right in doing something, i don't care what society says about that. And klaudine, to be frank I myself don't agree to the idea of smoking.Whether it is celebrities or common people, it is good for the rest of us.And about tattoo is does not affect others.In our place government has banned smoking in public place. thanks
@klaudine (3652)
Well... I think people are allowed to have their opinion towards something, and I appreciate your thoughts on smoking and tattoos. I think it is nice to know that you are not giving prejudice on smoking people even you don't like them. I don't think it would be so much a problem
@klaudine (3652)
Thank you, I think you have implied your points really clearly. You didn't judge the smokers but you cared about the effects of the irresponsible smokers. I agree with you in this. There are rooms for smokers, which they are allowed to smoke as much as they wanted, but there are non smoking area, which is a smoke free zone for the non smoker to be able to breathe. The separation of the area, I think is the best fair idea which helps the smokers and non smokers find peace in the social relationship. Well... someone's appearance might deceive you if you're not careful enough. Stereotyping people with tattoos is something unfair. I think you're being wise not to do that :) Thanks for your very considerate comments.
@soulist (2986)
I try not to follow the stereotypes i see. I try to view everyone as a single person sure they can be a certain culture, a certain religion, gender, etc that doesn't mean they follow the stereotypes that some places put on them. I mean I know places that say blondes are stupid but there are plenty of smart ones.
@klaudine (3652)
I think it is good that you can stay that way. People made stereotypes and they made accusation based one those stereotypes. Looking every person as a single individual is a good thing because you would be able to be more objective at making judgment towards people. Good answer soulist. Thanks for replying. I thought no one is interested on this discussion :)