Do you think Economic Slowdown would cost the Republicans during the Elections?

@ram_cv (16516)
The recent Economic Slowdown of the US economy and the issues emerging out of it like the bankruptcy of major financial institutions like Merril Lynch. Would all this have an effect on the Republicans prospect in the upcoming elections? How do you expect John McCain and Barack Obama to address this topic? Cheers! Ram
Well if most people would really take a look at the situation, it has been going on for a long time. They show it coming and ignored it. Also BOTH SIDES are responsible for ignoring it and their failing to do anything now. Pointing fingers and back stabbing does not count as doing something about the situation. We are now paying the price for politicans who ignored the problem or were took stuck in party lines to do anything about it. I am personally fed up with both of major parties. Especially the "do nothing" congress.
Agreed.
@ram_cv (16516)
I absolutely agree on this. I think in this focus on war on terror, economics has taken a back seat and now that is emerging as a main pain point. In some sense, the terrorists by inflicting terror have achieved what they wanted, by causing this slowdown!! That to me is the sad part of all this. Cheers! Ram
Thanks for the best response!
@newtondak (3950)
First of all, I wouldn't call it "recent" - it has been on the downhill slide for a number of years, beginning before we had a Republican president. I also feel that our predominantly Democratic Congress has played a pretty good part in getting us where we are. Even our government officials have little control over many factors regarding our economy.
I disagree, during the Clinton administration our economy was in good shape.
@newtondak (3950)
Maybe in your part of the country - ask the farmers of the midwest about the economy during the 80's - when they experienced a 3-year drought and the Democratic administration did little to nothing help them.
@ram_cv (16516)
Actually, I do feel that things were slightly better under the democrats simply because of one reason. When the bests went on a over-leverage spree over the last 3-4 years, the Govt. did not see the warning signs and curb this tendency. Also, real estate crisis is something that should and could have been tackled better. But, I agree with on the fact that at least this crisis had it's roots from the Democrat days. Cheers! Ram
@cbreeze (1207)
I'm not so sure that the economic slowdown would make it a slam dunk for the Democrats. Many people made up their minds long before the recent economic news and aren't going to change. Others are polarized for different reasons. And then the undecided are still scutinizing their options.
@ram_cv (16516)
Thanks for your views. But, isn't economy the crux of all the matter. If there is an economic slowdown, everything else is in trouble. Jobs, inflation everything. Cheers! Ram
@cbreeze (1207)
I agree with you about the affects of economic slow down. I just think many people are ruled by emotion instead of rationalization. The condition of the economy will not necessarily cost the republicans the election.
I do not remember a new president having to face such a problem. Regardless of who wins they will have a very difficult job ahead of them. I do not think either of them will make any statements at this time addressing a fix for the problem because if the do the whole country will be watching and waiting to see if their promises come true.
@ram_cv (16516)
I think it was Clinton right who took over at around the time of IT Bubble burst of 2000-2001 or was he in the middle of his term at that time? Cheers! Ram
It will definitely hurt them. I don't think any party has won an election coming off an economic downturn before.
@ram_cv (16516)
Yes. And that is why the Fed inaction even at this time baffles me. Of course, they came out and bailed AIG yesterday, but still that is way too little too late. Cheers! Ram
@spalladino (17925)
This is an opportunity for either or both of the candidates to show some leadership if they have good enough counsel to enable them to address this problem with a *solution* and to inspire the confidence of the public. The only problem with doing that is that it's risky...the other side has 49 days to pick it apart. Which is why neither one will take a chance.
@ram_cv (16516)
I absolutely agree with you on this. Probably this is the reason why in at least on of the face-offs this topic has to be brought up so that at least the inclination is known to the public. Cheers! Ram