BUILT on a BOMB, who's responsible???

@redkathy (3375)
I was checking out fox news this morning and came across this headline ORLANDO, Fla. — When residents of several neighborhoods near Orlando International Airport go to bed, they wonder what most homeowners don't: Is there a bomb under my house? Here's the opening to the article from Fox- [i]"They recently learned their 8-year-old developments were built on a World War II bombing range that wasn't thoroughly cleared. Now they're scared for their lives and investments and angry with developers and local government officials who residents claim shouldn't have allowed the homes in the first place. There are hundreds of former bombing and artillery training ranges across the U.S., but few have 2,000 homes sitting on top of them."[/i] http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424243,00.html Hubby and I are in the construction business. We are subcontractors in SW Florida since 1990. While we don't work for the developer/contractor who built many of these homes, we have heard much about them. It seems that they are passing the buck, typical of their reputation around here. [i] "The developers, homebuilders, Army Corps and local government officials who zoned the land all blame each other. Corps officials say they long ago told local governments about the bombs, but current officials say their records were stripped of the information. The homebuilders say no one told them."[/i] I could not imagine loosing so much of my hard earned money to something like this. Moreover I can't even fathom living in a home where bombs may exist! I feel really sorry for these people. Who do you think should be responsible to fix this?
@savypat (20246)
What they need is a class action suit, then they sue everybody, I'm sure some hot shot lawyer would be happy to take up the cause. The only thing wrong with this is it takes a long time and in the end very little money arrives at the doorstep of those who have been damaged. LOL
@redkathy (3375)
It just makes me really mad that these big developers can do what they do. We've worked for quite a few! I hope those people get paid for this some way.
@savypat (20246)
Easy Kathy, the developers may have been fooled also, who was the governing body that allowed the permits?
@redkathy (3375)
the developer and the powers that be go way back!
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
well, not the home owners that's for sure. people will do anything for a buck. that's a ridiculous situation that should never have occured.
@redkathy (3375)
Yep I wish I could be there when they have to answer for their actions, and I don't mean the here and now either.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
thanks for the best response.