Do You Find It Hard Seeing People With Mental Problems That Refuse Help?

i dont know if its because i have bipolar and various other issues or if its because im a psychology junkie but i can pick up quickly on any one that shows signs of any kind of mental issues and i find it frustrating when they dont seek help.. especially when they know they have problems but for some reason either have a hang up on being diagnosed or have family that doesnt support their decision to get help.. i hate seeing other people in pain or turmoil (however you want to put it based upon the severity) im always right on with knowing what is wrong with anyone whether it be ANY kind of medical problem so its not like im just pulling the idea out of thin air (ask ANYONE that knows me.. i always know what people are going to be diagnosed with before they do and even with health problems i do not have so its not just seeing something similar in the other person) i dont want to be perceived as mettlesome but unfortunately i was born with empathic abilities and an annoying habit of caring about people and worry about their well being anyone else get frustrated on seeing people deal with mental problems but refuse to get help??
@sedel1027 (17868)
I have known quite a few people that need help and won't - or can't get to. The thing is though you can't make people get help, you can try to get them to see the light.
its just so sad.. i just remember how miserable and out of control before meds i was and i hate to see them feel out of control
sorry so late to reply but i am just now getting around to re-checking lol.. anyways i cant believe the military doessnt believe in ptsd since they caused most of the cases you hear about!! jeeze!!
@Dday50627 (362)
I do know people that have disorders and refuse ANY help. Many bipolar and Turrets patients like myself have terrible issues with medication for the disorders. Not an uncommon thing at all. But I do agree that there so many other options like support teams and family and therapy. I see a phsychotherapist 2 times a month. She does help me in some of my issues. Issues that I discussed on another talk site and well, was told not to talk about them again or I would be asked to leave. So I think the fear of the same here keeps me from going much deeper into what other things can become a part of your life when you have disorders such as these. Perhaps one day I will take a chance. The key issue here is that like "Moon", I too am empathic. I feel people and tell them to see a doctor for things they don't even know exist yet. Sometimes even before symptoms so I fully trust in what she says here being true. My desire, perhaps even "Need" to reach out to people, to love them, to make them feel as if they really are special takes me so many places. Some good and some, well... People that refuse Any type of help or refused to find ways to cope a bit with the issues do bother me. I don't care if it is reading a book or inging or writing. Any thing that helps you deal and gives you a safe place to be is seeking help. If you don't try at least to find a way to live with this, it will devoure you. It IS a part of your world and pretending it doesn't exist until something terrible happens is without reason and foolish. There are too many people more than willing to listen to you for you to ignore it or let it destroy you. You have at least two... Right Here.
i dont think you have to worry at all about talking too much about it here.. mylot is great about allowing a lot of things to be discussed unlike a lot of sites.. whats the worst thing is when they admit that they have problems but think they dont need meds and you see them freaking out all the time but they perceive everyone else as crazy and not them (no offense in using the word crazy to anyone in this.. just how i talk lol) and im so sick of the stigma for the people that do seek help.. i know my dad had been told almost 40 years ago that he was bipolar but he was so worried about the stigma that he waited over 30 to get help.. mean while every one else suffered since he was out of control.. its not like anyone wants this so its hard to figure out why they wouldnt be running to help it
@Ravenladyj (22992)
LOL you and I are quite alike it would seem....I too can read ppl like that and I upset when ppl who need help dont get it...SOMETIMES it frustrates me (like they SAY they know they need it but then make up every excuse in the book to NOT go forward and get it..that annoys the hell out of me) but sometimes I just get so sad over it becuase they need help desperately but are so afraid and tangled up inside and have zero support it just breaks my heart..I'm a very empathetic person though and always have been so maybe thats why I react the way I do ya know compared to some ppl if that makes sense..
its like watching some one self destruct or seeing them not realize that their quality of life could be so much better.. i just wanna see every one happy but some people i guess dont want to be being empathic and caring/worrying about people sucks sometimes especially in these situations
@Porcospino (16444)
• Denmark
I used to be one of those people who didn't get help. I waited far too long and I regret that now. It was very important to me that people didn't notice my problems, and I tried very hard to hide them. When I think about it now I almost wish that someone would have "forced" me to get help. Then again it wouldn't have been very useful if I wasn't ready to receive help at that time. The wish to get help has to come from the inside. Getting help and getting a diagnosis turned my life around and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. When I meet others who refuse to get help, I sometimes tell my own story, because I wish to prevent other people from making the same mistake, but at the same time I know that I can't make decisions for other people, and they have to do things, when the time is right for them.
yeah i have known several people that were in denial and then later when they got help they regretted they put it off so long and the people that had gotten hurt around them because of it etc.. which is why i hate it when i see people that way because i know their life could be better and im afraid if/when they do get help it will have been too late for some things in their lives