Photography from the disabled person's point of view...

@capirani (1841)
I have been thinking about doing a photojournal of some kind specifically geared to life from the viewpoint of someone who is disabled. This would mean from the eye level of a wheelchair for example. I have thought about sneaking photos in the local area department stores I shop in frequently...which is basically only one because of the limitations of not having motorozed scooters in the other stores readily available to the disabled customers. Many times I have used my cane to reach items from shelves too high up for me to reach from the scooter level. I think it would be interesting to photograph these attempts to reach items, knock them off the shelf and catch them, etc. I would also like to continue the project in other areas of life, but am not sure how to go about it. I don't go out much because I don't have my own scooter or wheel chair as yet and cannot walk very far. So I haven't had a lot of experience with that side of life. I know there area lot of things I used to do that I don't do now because of my limitations. Summer concerts in our local park is one of them. There are only a few limited handicapped parking spaces while the park generally contains hundreds of people coming to enjoy the concerts. I have no way to get to the concert area. Now they even block off the street that would be easiest for me to get there so even having a friend drop me off close would not work. I am thinking of photojouraling this kind of thing as well, but not sure how t approach it properly and in way that would get the point across. Any ideas?
@lilaclady (28240)
Maybe you should think about starting your own blog or webpage on your experiences, maybe what you have experienced in your life might help or even inspire someone else that just hasn't had the courage to get out there and try...I think there would be many people out there you could help...
@capirani (1841)
I already have several blogs going. A couple of them have posts about things going on in my life and how I deal with them. If you would like to, you can see them all from http://capirani.blogspot.com .
@trickiwoo (2702)
I think that is a great idea! Though I'm sure it would be easier to do once you had your own wheelchair or scooter. Then you could just go about normal day to day activities: shopping, going out to eat, going to the movies, visiting friends and family, etc. and bring a camera with you everywhere you go to shoot. Maybe you could talk to some sort of disabled advocacy group? Explain the photo project you'd like to work on, and see if they could help you out! They may even want to help you get your photos published in a book or something.