Mitsie

@Margajoe (4721)
Germany
Hi! I just was minding my own business, having a bier. And this guy comes up to me, that I have only met twice. And does not ask me if I want a bier, he asks me if I want a Kitten! YESYES!!! Only one week before I told my BF, I need a cat in the house. I am at home so often, I need some company. So, I have my company, he is 4 months old and very active. He has made me so happy. Laughing so much my jaws are hurting me. I am coming back to life.LOL. Question, how do I get him to stop scratching on my couch??? Thanks, Margajoe.
@oyenkai (4399)
Get a scratch pole :D you can buy it. Or give it a toy rug and make sure you train it to stay there so that it will like it more than your couch. Also, you might want to get a litter box. I'm so happy for you! I love cats! However, I'm allergic to them haha However, most of the time I risk it and play with our really fat cat :D Then I sleep off my allergies.
@Margajoe (4721)
Thanks for your advice. I have a little rug. I could try that, put him on there every time he tries the couch. I used to have cats in the farm we used to live in when I was young. In Canada the farms can be very big. The animals only come in when they want too. Here in Germany, things are not so big. I have to keep him inside, or he will be run over by a car ect. Having a cat around the house is totally different then when you have one that goes outside. So, I have a lot to learn, lol!
@oyenkai (4399)
If your cat is a girl, it's a bit tougher to make sure it doesn't try to run away to "get it on". If your cat is male, you may want to have it neutered. Our cat was neutered and it goes out less (even though it can, here in the Philippines) because it lost its interest with finding lady friends for lack of testosterone. Also it's much more lazy (which is a good point for us because we like them like they're moving stuffed toys). They'll grow bigger and fatter :D and a lot LOT sweeter.
@Margajoe (4721)
Hi! What is the best age to have them neutered? Mitsie is a boy. And he is very active. I don't know if I want him to get all lazy on me right yet. I kind of like it this way,LOL! This morning I was trying to teach him to scratch the kitty rug. The guy who gave me Mitsie, also gave me the rug. That was great! Seemed like I was doing most of the scratching though,LOL! Take care, happy my lotting!
@owlwings (38062)
• Cambridge, England
He will always love to scratch so you must provide him with a scratching post. You can buy these at pet shops but they are not hard to make. A square of wood (maybe 30 cms square), a length of broom handle or a piece of wood 3cm square standing upright in the middle of it and a piece of carpet wrapped round the upright. If you can get cat-mint or cat-mint oil (Nepeta - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepeta), you can rub the plant on the piece of carpet or put a few drops of oil on it. You will have to show him that it is OK to scratch his scratching post but NOT your couch. Usually, just a firm NO and a light tap on the nose every time he scratches the couch will teach him in a week or so.
@owlwings (38062)
• Cambridge, England
There's a page here which says more or less what I have outlined above. http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-discourage-a-cat-from-scratching-my-furniture.htm I have never tried pennies in a coffee can as a deterrent! Both cats and dogs dislike having their noses tapped. It doesn't hurt them (their mums do it to them when they are kittens or puppies) and when it's accompanied by a "No" they soon learn to associate "No" with something that's not allowed.
@owlwings (38062)
• Cambridge, England
I forgot the other thing - REWARD, when he does it right! Very important! Just a pleased tone of voice is all you need ("Gooood Kitty!" ).
@owlwings (38062)
• Cambridge, England
PLEASE! Whatever you do, DON'T have him de-clawed! It is painful and demoralising for a cat. In human terms it is like having the tips of all your fingers cut off at the first joint.
@raclie (1734)
wow!!! your so lucky to have a kitten!!! mistie is it? hey mistie!!! cute name!!! well... i dont have a cat, so i cant help you there... maybe you can check on websites? hope you get the problem solved soon!!! enjoy your pet!!! "meow!!!"
@Margajoe (4721)
Thanks, I am enjoying him. He is sleeping on my lap while I am typing in My Lot.LOL! He is so sweet. Take care, happy mylotting.
@raclie (1734)
lol.... awwww... thats so sweet!!!!
@mcat19 (1358)
Concatulations on your new kitty. Please have him neutered as soon as you can. It will keep him healthier and keep him closer to home and less tempted to run away. It will also keep unwanted kittens from overpopulating. Get him a scratching post and show him how to scratch on it. Take his paws and move them on the post. You can put double sided sticky tape on the couch where he scratches to discourage him. You can put a soda can half full of coins balanced on the couch arm so that it falls off and makes a big noise when he scratches there. If it just happens and he doesn't associate it with you, it will more likely change his mind about scratching the couch. If you don't have a litter box, you should get one for him. Just put him in it and he will know what to do. I'm so glad you won't ever have him declawed. It is amputation of the first joint and can cause life-long pain for your kitty. It is against the law in many countries. I hope you have a wonderful time with your kitty. I think the best thing in the world is a purring cat in your lap.
@Margajoe (4721)
Thank-you so much. Yes he is sleeping on my lap right know. He is not purring at the moment. He has these little shocks, I take it that is growing shocks. Double sided sticky tape, that is a good one. I will do that. This morning I was teaching him (trying)to scratch the kitten carpet. I will get a scratching pool as soon as I have a little more money. Hopefully it won't be to late for my couch, lol! Take care, happy mylotting!