What does everyone think about shopping at Walmart?

I have been a walmart shopper for since my mom took me and yes they have low prices for the most reasons others like to shop. But, there are some things that are flaw about Walmart when I came across a video about them placing themselves into small communities so that they will not be competitive with others. Also, another thing is the employee treatment. How they treat their employees, having them work all night when they are to get off a certain time. I know this may not be to all Walmarts but this is what I have hear recently. Then they want to put up some store to hide their faces called Marketside. Then, they have been sued for environmental issues like chemical wastes and things like that. That is soo crazy. One thing is the fact that the owners who own walmart are kinda sitting on money, putting their money into estates and still want to ask for donations. Then, another was their security and another about the workers in china working all day sweat just to make toys that are more than their pay. There's so much to say about Walmart so I will leave it all to you by responding on what you think. I do believe Wal-mart can be a good store and so far their prices have gotten up a little bit. I was hoping will there ever be a store to take over it their matters get worse?
@bowtieguy (5931)
I like the prices they have and the versatility in what they carry. I do hate the customer service and how it is always so crowded no matter what time I go there the lines are always 4 or 5 people deep.
walmart is good shopping place because it have a lot of categories, unlike many others, which only sells one kind of item. i dont like to shop there, because some food are too expensive, and im not really rich. if they built one with a no-frills inside it that would be great.
@TessWhite (3147)
I worked for WalMart for a number of years, and know from experience that they treat their employees really well. The pay is decent for the areas, the benefits even better. If they work night hours, they are paid and hired to do so. Chemical waste isn't good with any company, but I doubt WalMart is exclusive of that problem. As for placing themselves in communities so that there is no competition, isn't that what good marketing strategy is all about to make money? I know for a fact that Walgreens does the same thing. Security is better than you think - at least it was at the two stores I worked for. Oh, and the toys at China story - Walmart doesn't own those companies, they just purchase from them - as do many other stores. How those toy companies choose to treat their employess (which I admit isn't always good) can't be blamed on those companies here in the U.S. if they aren't owned by us.
@sid556 (31018)
I have read books on the history of Walmart. It started out honest enough, I think but I believe it has veered from it's original integrity. I see walmart as a very greedy company. They move into an area and offer prices way lower than any smaller business could possibly offer. People flock to Walmart and soon smaller businesses fail. They have succeeded in ridding the competition. At that point, their prices begin to rise. I try to avoid Walmart. In our town, their biggest competition is target. Even when I have resorted to walmart out of convience, I use my target card.
@annjilena (5621)
walmart is somthing else my girlfriend boy friend was killed about 2 years ago a tractor trailer truck ran him over here in south carolina. i really don,t like there clothes they don,t have very large bras there i have to go to mall to shop for bras when they use to have them its like they are not making clothes for the usa no more their clothes are for short people and i have heard a lot tells about walmart on how they treat there worker if you have a religion and have to go worship they will not hire you i don,t know how true this is but a lot people says its true.a lot people have started going to the mall to shop to long of line and they only have 2 people working.
There's a Wal-Mart just three blocks from my house, and I haven't been there in years! I stopped going there because the store is filthy. Then I read about their lies about carrying items made in the USA, when most of them are made in China and other sweat-shop countries. Then I read about their mistreatment of employees. Then I read about their political shenanigans to allow their stores where they aren't wanted. I could have been a great customer for them, because I get up at 3:30 every morning to go to work, and I could make time to shop early (the one near here is open 24/7). I'm insistent upon shopping for bargains, but that couldn't include Wal-Mart unless they made a major change!
@hellcowboy (7383)
I have always been a Wal Mart shopper and I personally love Wal Mart because they always have everything that you could ever need or want,and they are always at rock bottom prices which is good for the wallet,my fiance also loves shopping at Wal Mart and we both like to shop form WalMart.com because it is cheaper and easier than going to our local Wal Mart,my mother often buys most of her groceries from Wal Mart to save her money,as for the way Wal Mart treats its employees I have a brother who works at one,and he works third shift maintenance there are only a couple people on third shift maintenance so he seems to always have to do most of the work himself because some of the people just loaf around and I am surprised that they have not gotten fired yet,even though he is a hard worker,they have been significantly decreasing is hours,which decreases his pay checks which sucks because he has to drive between thirty minutes and an hour to get to work,so I feel sorry for him and wish they would give him more hours.
I just got off from work an hour ago, from Walmart hahaha. I will be honest, I don't like Walmart as a company, not so much for the reasons you stated, but it is not good for our economy, giving us the worst trade deficits ever with China. You should watch the movie, "The high cost of low prices" it explains it all SO very well. You are correct though about the competition thing, Walmart edges out locals businesses and puts so many under, though that is capitalism, it seems a little dirty if you'd ask me. I guess I can tell you how they treat employees, since I am one, at my store we are pretty appreciated, or at least they suck up to us. They buy us burgers, hotdogs, cookies, ice cream, pizza, and all sorts of things, and we have had all of these things in just the past month! For the past three days they have had a huge table of cookies in the break room (constantly being replenished), and tomorrow is the company picnic (though I will be working). They haven't made anyone stay after their hours as far as I know. If someone stops and asks you where something is when you are off the clock you MUST get paid for, or else you can actually get in trouble because it is against company policy haha. I don't think so much as, "oh the poor Chinese people are sweating away," they need more jobs so it benefits them more than anything, but having them work for us is making it hard for Americans, since our jobs are going overseas, so we contribute to their economy, not ours . Ah well, we're just going to have to wait it out and see what happens to our economy in the coming years.
@Barb42 (4225)
I do shop at WalMart lots, but that doesn't stop me from being critical of them. I wonder how Sam Walton would feel if he could see his company now that he had started out selling only merchandise made in the US. There's hardly anything in there made in the US anymore. Lots of it is shoddy merchandise, worse than KMart! I do get upset,too, when they have merchandise one day, and then later, you find they no later carry that particular thing. I also get upset that the can't keep a good stock of my hose! Had one woman who was over the department once to tell me they could only order 3 pairs of each of the ones I was hunting (they had NONE in stock!). I also have a friend, a single Mom, who works for the WalMart closest to us. She works without complaining on the job, but she has a manager that is very hard on the employees under her. It is as though this particular manager loves to gloat over her position and make life miserable for the people working there. If I lived closer to other stores for groceries, I would surely make it a habit of buying lots in other stores. Thank goodness, there are malls moving out in our direction in one town near the WalMart I frequent. If groceries would become more competitive in the other grocery stores, I would go back to buying from them.