Top Marks this Morning For My Teeth!

@gemini_rose (16193)
This morning I had a dentists appointment, so what ah? Well I have not been near a dentist for around 5 years I reckon, not since I saw the state of a friends mouth after the dentist had finished with her! Recently though I managed to get into another dentist, had to go private but it has a great reputation and so my first appointment in five years was this morning! I felt like a kid at school getting the only A on their work when he had finished, he could not praise my teeth enough, and not one filling did I need. He said to me "Have you never had any fillings at all?" I said "no, never, I have never needed to have any work done" He Said "well you dont need anything now either, your teeth are excellent" HA! Just a shame the price hurt me more than the actual poking he did at my teeth, ouch. Who else has perfect teeth here? Anyone else who has never had a filling? How many fillings do you have in your mouth?
@tessah (6621)
hrmm its been about 15 years since i had any work done.. and that time just added to my stress factors of the dentist to leave me with cold sweats just dialing a number to make an appt *shudders* i did scrounge up the courage a couple years ago to go in.. had an absess that had been occuring often and i wanted to know what the problem was.. so i dragged myself in to find out, cold sweat and terror in all. turns out the tooth that was bothering me.. it wasnt a problem with the tooth at all.. but underneath it. the jawbone has been shattered, and theres nothing actually holding the tooth in place other than my gums.. so food particles have a more likely chance of slipping into the space below, hitting a nerve and causing the swelling and infection. his advice, was to pull it.. on the off chance it might fall out sometime in the future o.O i told him no.. i didnt see any point to the pain and expense to yank a tooth on the off chance that in 20 years it might fall out painlessly on its own. while checking out the rest of my mouth however.. as hes plunking his metal gadgets against my teeth.. i was told there was no decay, no tartar.. nothing wrong with my teeth specific structurally at all.. much to his amazement when he found out when my last appt was. and same as you.. it made me feel awesome
@gemini_rose (16193)
Whoa, how on earth did your jawbone get shattered, did you not get any pain from it? I felt really chuft with myself, I keep thinking of people I can tell! Imagine what I will be like when I do a course and pass it!!
@gemini_rose (16193)
Of course you will be the first! xx
@cndn420 (2062)
oh man....theres a reason why i hate the dentist lol! ever since i was younger i have always had a least 1 cavity when i went to the dentist cause i have soft teeth... :( so needless to say i have a countless number of fillings in my mouth...and its funny, because your teeth usually end up hurting or bothering you more than they did before you got them fixed!
@gemini_rose (16193)
This is what bothered me about going, because my hubby always has more problems with his teeth when the dentist messes about with them. I have to have mine scaled and polished in a week or so and you know for a week after i know my teeth will go painful and really sensitive cos they did the last time I had it a few years ago.
@cndn420 (2062)
haha its so true!! and while they are poking your gums and scaling your teeth, if they see blood they write down on your sheet that your gums are bleeding in a certain spot...lol well obviously they are going to bleed when you poke them enough times! teeth have to heal after being fixed which really sucks and more pain!
@Munchkin547 (2778)
Well done you!! that really is wuite an achievement!! I have never had a filling either! I had the advantage of working as a dental nurse for several years which meant that i could have a scale and polish etc whenever i wanted, so i'm pretty happy with my teeth! I hope i never have to have a filling either, once you have one you tend to end up needing more, or at least replacements eventually!! xxx
@gemini_rose (16193)
A dental nurse ah? wow!! It is a good feeling not having a filling Imust admit!
It is a good feeling for sure, we can be all smug about it!! lol yup dental nursed for a few years before i had a career change!! xxx
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
Congrats on having such great teeth. You are lucky, continue to take good care of them! I am the opposite of you in the teeth department. I had great teeth until I was 16 and got pregnant for my first child. I ended up getting cavities in half the teeth in my mouth during the pregnancy. I let it go for awhile because my insurance was horrible at covering dentists. Then I finally got all the fillings I needed. It was a 3 day process. When I was pregnant for my twins I got even more cavities, then shortly there after some of my fillings began to fall out. I ended up losing all the fillings in my front teeth. When I was pregnant for my toddler I ended up breaking one of my front teeth that had lost it's filling, and had 2 teeth pulled, while pregnant, no novicaine!! My teeth were in such horrible condition, even before they broke I was afraid to smile, it looked so horrible. After I had the toddler I ended up having all my top front teeth pulled, a total of 7 including the 2 already pulled. I now have a partial plate there, so my teeth appear nice and I'm able to smile again, which is what was really important to me. I still have quite a few cavities I recieved during my last 2 pregnancies, but none of them are major enough to require the tooth to be pulled. I don't seem to make my teeth worse unless I am pregnant. With the cost of the work, even after insurance, I can't really afford to get to the dentist, so I've been letting these cavities go for a couple years now.
@gemini_rose (16193)
Gosh your babies sure took it out on your teeth! I have had four babies so I am lucky really that I never suffered more with my teeth. It is dear, I mean my hubby says that he is going to need some fillings and so that is going to be dear, we have so much insurance but we can only claim once a year so I dont know. He will have to try and push the work as far forward as he can, as we will struggle to pay for it.
Yeah, dental coverage really stinks... vision too. Actually we don't have any vision coverage right now. Nuts!! I've never been really big on calcium rich foods, so that's probably where my problem is. The little bit of calcium I take in is enough for me, but while pregnant the baby robs all that calcium and I'm left with none. The only time I didn't have a huge problem was with the youngest, because I actually ate a TON of ice cream during the beginning of that pregnancy.
Oh this question is certainly not meant for me! I have had countless number of cavities, both on y milk and new teeth. And they were painful to say the least. The worst part, is the sharp sting the doctor causes, in advance cases, by injecting the anesthesia, using a syringe and needle. I hated that part. After that, there was once that my milk tooth, was not coming out! I slept in pain for the whole night, in the morning missed school and went to the dentist, she couldn't remove it with ease either, or maybe that how she removed it, but she used a tool which causes so much pain, and blood, that I was on the verge of kicking the leg rest at times. Now my teeth are fine (at least externally!). They are white. Although I don't take care of them much. brush One a day, in the morning, and eat like an elephant. Lets save some toothpaste!
@gemini_rose (16193)
My eldest son had to have fillings on his milk teeth from the age of 5, and although he has looked after his teeth at 16 now his gnashers are in a real mess. My second son who is 8, had his first filling at 7, and again I have always ensured that they take care of their teeth. But reading what you have to say then I am really glad I have never had to have a filling, here is hoping it stays that way.
I don't say fillings are always painful, but in advance cases like mine, they sometimes are. Also tooth removal, that one is always very painful. Good Luck with your teeth though!
@lingli_78 (12845)
congratulations on your excellent teeth... i don't have such a good teeth as yours... in fact, i always have problem with my teeth since i am a child... i have so many fillings on my teeth that i can't count how many i have... but i try to take care of my teeth better as i grow older... but still, i always have at least 2 fillings whenever i visit the dentist and as you say, the bill really hurts... can you please tell me your secret for having such a good teeth??? i really envy you... take care and have a nice day...
@gemini_rose (16193)
If I knew the secret I would gladly tell you I would tell my kids too, cos they do not have teeth like mine and yet they eat far healthier than I do.
@ronaldinu (12445)
• Malta
I have one teeth with a cap. Since I was doing some building work and one of the slabs hit me on my teeth, it broke one of my front teeth. I don't have any feelings yet!
@quinnkl (1668)
Good for you!! Unfortunately, I am the same way. I only go to dentist when I have to get my teeth cleaned, etc. instead of every year as they say you should. But I have NEVER had a cavity or any dental work that needed to be done! I really think it is inherited because I didn't ever pay attention to how well I took care of my teeth except to brush them every day! Who knows. I do drink a lot of caffeine, so need to get them cleaned, and should do that more often than I do too! Congrats on your great appointment!
@ruby222 (4848)
Well done Rose,a good set of gnashers old girl !I have to admit that there is some amalgam lurking within my mouth,but lol im slightly older than you ,so maybe im allowed to have some fillings.But private dental work is very costly,its expensive even when you use the NHS !
@checapricorn (16066)
H[i]I gemini, wow..Congratulations for that! I have 4 and I feel bad about it but things out of control since when I was younger, i also didn't take care of it so this is what I gain! [/i]hahahha!