Sick Leaves - do you take them?

Most employers these days allow employees to monetize (i.e. convert to cash) their unused sick/vacation leaves at the end of the year, aiming to encourage employees to come to work more often while giving them such privileges. I think I'm nearing this year's quota of the number of sick leaves I'm allowed to take. The past few months have been so demanding and the work load so stressful that if I wanted to take a break, I had to have some good excuse not to show up for work - thus, filing sick leaves was the only way to go. Conversely, I know of a few people who actually try not to expend all their leave credits during the year, just because of the option to convert such to cash. So, my question is... do you take sick leaves? How often do you can in "sick"? Are you the type who tries to have a perfect attendance just to avail of the option to monetize your leave credits? I'd love to hear from you all.
@jackgym (276)
Luckily I don't have to worry about that because I work at home, but it wasn't always like that. I think now you need to supply a doctor's certificate.
Really? I'm glad there's no such policy in my company. Seems that they are lenient with us when it comes to work hours since, when we do work overtime (which we do a lot), there are times when we don't get paid for it so maybe it's a way of compensating for those times. *lol*
@jackgym (276)
That's how it should be, a bit of give and take :)
@Samanthavv (1383)
I don't have a job currently. I'm enrolled in the community college, but if I were genuinely sick, I would definitely take sick leave. It's irresponsible not to, because you could get everyone else sick!
Hi. That's very considerate of you. Also, I think it would be irresponsible too if one doesn't take care of him/herself.
No I don't take sickies very often I usually work sick ,maybe thats why it takes longer for me to get better from whatever ails me. In the eight years I've worked for my boss I have taken sick leave two times ,once when I had a head cold and my eye closed up I was so swollen in the face and I rang him from work,and another when I had a molar and eye tooth out and the dentist said it was best to have the day of ,so I did .I am not getting any younger lol and might need them down the track.
Ouch, the thing with teeth must have hurt. It's good to know you you could accumulate sick leaves. Just don't work yourself too hard.
@shell94 (990)
I have only taken an actual sick leave from work once. This ws when I had my hysterectomy. Other then that I rarely call in sick unless I am. I feel its abusing a system and makes things a lot harder on your fellow co-workers.
Wow. Your dedication to your work is really admirable.
@oyenkai (4397)
Unfortunately on our case, we can only convert our vacation leaves to cash but not our sick leaves. I got my vacation leave bonus just in time for the big expenses that I had to face at that same month - plane tickets for a trip with friends to Cagayan de Oro and a new pair of rubber shoes (because the old one got worn out, and it was already more than three years old so I do believe it served me well). The sick leaves, we'll have to take them if we need them. Or else you'd be wasting a good number of vacation days when you should be resting when unwell. Thanks for the response on my discussion :)