Should Felons Vote For Obama Or McCain?

By JJ
@myklj999 (19743)
Which of them do you think would give a criminal a better deal? After all, if we don't give a felon a break after he has served his time, he won't have much choice but to go back to a life of crime, correct?
@soooobored (1187)
Increased funding for training and on the job training could benefit prisoners and ex-felons, if local agencies subsidize wages for these employees during the training period. Between the two candidates, it seems that Obama is looking more to enhance workforce development, and increase funding for these programs. So if I were an ex-offender I would prefer Obama!
@myklj999 (19743)
Thank you for an intelligent answer. I get so few of those most days here.
Thanks for an interesting discussion, those are even harder to find these days!
Thanks for the best response!
What exactly do you mean by "give them a break" if I may ask?
@myklj999 (19743)
In other words, if after a person has served their time and been released, if no one wants to hire him/her because of their past, what is the person supposed to do? Many people that are released each year wind up back in prison simply because no one will give them a chance to lead a normal life.
Of course felons should be allowed to work with certain restrictions. For example. A few years back we had a convicted rapist go to work as a janitor in a local high school. End result, a young woman was raped and murdered. we need to maintain some type of control even after felons have served their time. I wouldn't give a felon a job as an armed security guard. But as to work sure, everyone needs to eat.
As to who a felon should vote for, a democrat. Always. Democrats have long supported programs for convicted felons. Free education, free job training assisted living. All kinds of wonderful things law abiding working people have to pay for. Shoot, they even have nice things for them in prison. Job training , cable television ,conjugal visits even weekend passes. Remember Willie Horton? Oh thats right. It's racist to point out that giving someone serving a life sentence an outside work pass is a really really stupid idea. And you wonder why republicans keep winning?
Hi myklj999, I don't know much about the American Politics or the politians I cannot say which politian should the ex felons should vote for, so to me they should vote for whoever they want to or best for them. Tamara
"...if we don't give a felon a break...he won't have much choice but to go back to a life of crime correct?" Can you say "enabler"? That would be like saying a person gets drunk all the time to hide his problems. so if he can't solve his problems he has no choice but to keep drinking. You ALWAYS have more than one choice. Crime,Like violence,is the last resort of a limited mind. But to answer your question, The Democrats have always been the criminals best friend. And best enabler. Besides that, who elects more criminals to office than the Democrats?
@myklj999 (19743)
So if we don't , say, give a felon a job, how do you think he's going to support himself? You didn't think this one through very much, did you?
I can see people having an issue if it was handouts, i.e. giving an ex offender a job. But the majority of ex-offender employment programs are focused on training or bonding the felon, as an incentive to the employer or at least to alleviate some of the concerns. Even then it doesn't level the playing field, most employers would still prefer to hire someone with a clean record, it's just a way that the government can assist ex-offenders WITHOUT giving handouts. And a lot of them work. Having the ability to work does keep ex-offenders from committing crime.
That's funny. You say I didn't think it through, Yet I am not a felon am I? =D Maybe if more people saw that there were consequences to crime they would be less likely to commit them. What does the President have to do with a felon finding a job, anyway? It seems to me that would be a local problem. I don't have a problem with training programs for ex cons, But the real problem is that we have one of the highest high school dropout rates and one of the lowest literacy rates of any industrialized nation. That's a disgrace. Yet Democrats fight against school vouchers tooth and nail. Competition=incentive for improvement. But the Teachers union takes money from teachers and gives it the Democrats. Then the Democrats block vouchers, Keeping the unions in power. and the cycle repeats. It must be working because our schools are dropping in the ratings every year. Maybe they are NOT purposely trying to destroy education, But they couldn't do a better job of it if they were. Instead of actually making college more affordable, we just subsidize it. Which just makes it more Expensive. College tuition has risen faster than the price of Gas. And it takes graduates longer and longer to repay their loans. I agree that there is a problem,I'm not blind. I just don't think that midnight basketball and softer penalties is the answer. This is the Dems greatest trick,To appear to be helping out in a problem that they themselves created. The Democrat party cannot survive without victims. A few of my favorite quotes.... "Liberalism: the haunting fear that,somewhere, somehow, someone can help themselves." "You will receive an abundance of that which you tolerate." “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” (Ernest Benn)
@irishmist (3820)
Well at this point in time, I don't think they are thinking about this, they better be thinking about getting us out of the mess that Bush put us in, or else the quility of life will only get worse, and we will have more crime than we could ever imagine.Then what.. Do they allow Felons to vote?
@myklj999 (19743)
The majority of the states allow people who have been convicted of a felony and have served their time to vote. There are 11 states that a felon can lose their privilege to vote for life.
@irishmist (3820)
I think everyone should have the right to vote no matter what, we are supposed to be all united .
@wooitsmolly (3613)
Everyone should vote for me.
@myklj999 (19743)
Vote for you or for your cat that votes? God can't be elected; separation of church and state and all that, remember?
@kenzie45230 (3560)
Personally, I think that convicted felons should never vote again. Wasn't that one of the things that used to be? Even though you served your time, because of having been a convicted felon you lost your right to vote?
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
This is a hard one since i don't like either..sadly i'm not certain i will vote, but if any criminal were able to vote, i feel Obama would be the best cause i think McCain being Military would feel it would be best to give them no rights what so ever..
@Taskr36 (13924)
Obama without a doubt. Everyone knows democrats are soft on criminals.
Recidivism is a big problem, and the main reason for that is that once you have a record, be it felony or misdemeanor, it is hard to get a job. If you tell the truth on the application, it's "don't call us, we'll call you." This is from my personal experience with trying to help several of my friends get jobs when they got out. I had always heard that if you had a felony on your record you could never vote again. Of course, I guess you can still hold public office, at least some places. Look at Marion Barry.
Probably Obama would be the best choice as he has already shown he has not obeyed the law associated with the rules of the campaign by accepting foreign contributions and probably has other undiscovered crimes. He probably has feelings of brotherhood towards felons.