Consumer Consumption.

@glords (2615)
I love to shop as much as the next girl, but do you sometimes feel guilty about consuming so much? As I march out to the garbage with Costco sized garbage bags I feel a little guilty. How many of you share this feeling? I try to recycle as much as possible and give things to charity instead of throwing them out, but I still feel like I could do a lot more. How do you feel about your family's consumption?
@Wordplay (239)
That's a very good question, especially in our "green", socially conscious society. For everything we purchase, we know that a certain amount of waste will be generated, whether it is from uneaten food, packaging or household items that are worn out and being replaced. I try to shop as carefully as possible in ways that will generate little waste. I often shop in thrift stores not just to save money but because I have managed to find some amazing bargains--stuff I could never afford at full price. Whenever I shop I refuse plastic bags whenever I can, and try to purchase items with as little packaging as possible. Recycling has become second nature to me. Any clothing or household items are donated if they are still usable. Clothes that are just too far beyond repair are often cut up for cleaning rags instead of just being thrown out right away. And if I ever throw out a piece of furniture, it's only because it has long passed its useful life.
@glords (2615)
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm glad that there are socially conscious people like you in our world. You have inspired me. I'm going to use my own sacks at the grocery store from now on. Thanks
@Tianna2 (1274)
I don't feel to bad as long as I use what I buy, as I dont buy things I cant use. Try to think of it this way, everything you buy goes towards helping the local economy so your actually helping everyone around by spending money, just dont spend so much that it hurts you financially. Hugs, Tianna
@glords (2615)
That's good advice. Thanks for posting.
@bowtieguy (5927)
I try not to think about it that much, As long as I am not wasting anything that I buy especially food items then I don't really feel bad about my consuming.
@glords (2615)
Thanks for the response. Happy Mylotting.
@mimico (3619)
I don't feel guilty about buying this I don't need and things I won't use for a long time. I guess I need a reality check. I know about the garbage situation but I don't know the gravity of the situation. Anyway I rationalize consuming a lot by recycling and trying to protect the environment as much as I can whenever I remember to. I know it's probably not good enough but at least I try. I think compared to big companies I'm a very good person. :)
@glords (2615)
I'm glad you don't feel guilt. I think sometimes I worry more about the worlds problems then I should. Thanks for recycling and for posting.