What have I learned about Quince?

@writersedge (22579)
I cooked the Japanese Quince and Peppermint jelly. The peppermint overpowered it which really surprised the heck out of me. So that experiment didn't work very well. The Quince and water prepared like stewed rhubarb didn't get like apples turn to apple sauce or like rhubarb that turns to smush. It maintained it's texture and shape. I tried Cooking it with sugar and leaving it over night. Made like the candied fruits in fruit cake, it was like the citron. I made a cake with it and it held up like it, too. I've now found the ingredients to invisible ink! I chopped quince and walnuts. The quince were green or yellow. The juice was clear. I rinsed my hands and went to bed. Just used cool water because that's what quickly came out of the tap. The next day, as I was getting ready for an interview, I took a shower, my hands turned purple. For blackberries or grapes, blueberries, lots of things, I can see purple, when the quince made jelly, before I added peppermint tea, it was reddish. Maybe the reaction from the oils in the nuts made it purple. All I know is that before I used hot water, my hands were white and pinkish, then they turned purple with the hot water running over them. Soap didn't take it off. My whitening toothpaste helped bleach it a little bit, but it made my purple fingernails look worse. The chopped quince and sugar were orangish to reddish. Have you ever made anything with quince? Have you ever had anything turn your hands colors? Do you wear plastic gloves when you prepare some things? Has anything you cooked had properties that you found that surprised you?
@PearlGrace (3172)
Hello writersedge. Your quince jelly sounds interesting. But, oh, the purple hands! That is funny! Well, except for having to go to a job interview. Guess it made for some interesting conversation. I've never made anything with quince and I don't remember ever tasting any. I don't even know what it looks like. I can't think of anything I've ever cooked with that changed the color of my hands. I bought some plastic gloves to wear when I chop jalapenos because I kept burning my eyes and skin, even the next day after showering and bathing twice! I am to the point where, if I need a jalapeno chopped for a recipe, I call my husband to come and do it (even though I have the gloves).
@writersedge (22579)
It looks like small green or yellow apples. Very sour. Jalapenos, I've heard all the hot peppers are hard on the hands. Has your husband got lots of calouses on his hands are something?
Well, he does have a few callouses on his hands because he loves to work out in our gardens everyday. He types alot on the computer for his full time position, so maybe that has something to do with it. If he has callouses, does that make a difference, in terms of the hot pepper stuff staying on his hands?
@writersedge (22579)
No, but callouses are like mounds of skin without a lot of nerves, so maybe it would be less painful for him.
@ElicBxn (60883)
YIKES!! No, never had anything like that happen, but then again - we know I'm not much of a cook!
@writersedge (22579)
So you must have found lots of surprising qualities of food!
@ElicBxn (60883)
not me - I don't try weird things - like quinces - my momma didn't use them...
@writersedge (22579)
I mean regular food, since they didn't work out.
@carolbee (16241)
I've never heard of quince. Thought at first you were talking about a character in a television program. Now you know in the future to wear rubber gloves when cooking with quince so you won't be purple in the morning. You must be an amazing cook which is something I never bothered to master.
@writersedge (22579)
No, that would be Quincy and we are both showing our ages. In my family, cooking was extremely important, My Mom and Dad had high blood pressure and diabetes. Two of my brothers were weight lifters and foot ball players. My only chance at food was to cook it and eat it before giving them any! When you have a brother that weights 180 and another 275 lbs in high school, you have to really get to food first. The third brother hit 200 lbs and he was not a weight lifter or a foot ball player, but he hit 14 and grew an inch a month for 10 months. My Mother bought 10 quarts of milk at a time, and they lasted a family of 6 just 3 days. Each of my brothers could drink a gallon of milk a day. The 10 quart container was called a cow and is used in restaurants. The milkman gave us the restaurant container with a bag and spout. He got sick of trying to bring so many quart bottles to our house. That's just milk, you should have seen the meat, the bags of veggies, etc. that they could put away. We grew cows and pigs so we would have enough food as well as a garden. I'm not a great cook, but no one goes away from my house hungry unless they're too stubborn to eat!
@xtedaxcvg (3191)
I don't even know what it is but from the looks of it I'd say you may have had a breakthrough with that invisible, near-permanent ink. Lol!
@writersedge (22579)
Quince look like little green or yellow apples. They are hard and extremely sour. They grown, in my area, on little bushes, but someone who grows them where they live, they have trees. Yeah, purple ink from a green or yellow and brown substance. I handled walnuts before and the outter coating turned me black and then purple. I didn't even know some nuts had an outter coating, I thought they only had a shell. But apparently walnuts and pecans have an outter layer, too. But the other day, I had the actual nuts, no shells or coating that I was cutting up. Strange. Thanks and take care.
@xtedaxcvg (3191)
Interesting. I don't think we have it here in Manila.. Not sure though..
I've never worked with quince. I believe that I have eaten it before, however.
@writersedge (22579)
Those of us quince eaters are in the minority. So did you eat it cooked? Do you remember much about it? Thanks and take care.