Delicacy or Cruelty?

@zandi458 (27952)
Malaysia
Dog meat is a delicacy in some parts of the world. In korea, for instance, dog meat dishes are relished as much as chicken or lamb. Do you consider dog meat a delicacy or cruelty?
@Galena (9123)
I could never ever eat dog meat. dogs are too special to me to be considered food. but. it doesn't become cruel just because it's a dog, and not a cow or chicken. what makes it cruel are the horrific conditions the animals are kept under, and the barbaric methods of slaughter. some people beleive that fear and pain make the meat taste better (while good butchers will tell you that the adrenaline produced by a stressed animal will make the meat taste bad) and because of this misguided beleif, the animals are often put through a great deal of pain and fear in being slaughtered. some are skinned alive. this is cruel. not the fact that it's a dog being eaten instead of a more widely accepted meat animal, but the horrific processes associated with the eating of dog meat. if it was raised and slaughtered humanely, I'd still feel bad about it, as I adore dogs, but it's no more intrinsically cruel than eating chicken or beef. but how anyone could kill an animal so full of love, loyalty and forgiveness as a dog, is beyond me. let alone to make it suffer first.
@zandi458 (27952)
There is one chinese guy in my hometown who goes around at night and hunt for stray dogs, he will trap the dog, quarantine it to fattened it up and when he sees that the dog is fit for slaughtering he will immediately finish it up in the pot. Dogs are smart animals and they knew that this man is their enemy who has killed many of their comrades as where ever he goes the dogs will incessantly barked at him.
@Vladilyich1 (1453)
I don't look at it as either, it's just not something I'd cross the street to buy.
@zandi458 (27952)
I have seen the prepared dog's meat, though the aroma from the dish is nice but I can't bring myself to eat it. In my country the the price of one bowl of dog's meat cost heavenly. The chinese believe it has healing properties and that's the reason it is highly sought after.
A good answer, Vlad. But what if they were selling it on the side of the street where you were standing, and you would not have to cross the street?
@jesus777 (664)
• Bermuda
i didn't know this but i like the fluffy little creatures so i wll have to say cruelty because animals have feelings too
@zandi458 (27952)
Of course it is cruel to eat dog meat. Dogs are pets and should be loved and well taken care of. They are smart, responsible and constantly do humans good.
@bombshell (11266)
yikessssss.its a cruelty.i even seen in tv the chinise ating fried scorpion and some other wild animal.
@zandi458 (27952)
Some people really have adventurous tastebud. I have a customer who come to my pub and asked me to reheat a barbecued mouse meat she brought from home. I surrendered and refused to do it. She wasn't happy but consented to do it herself in my kitchen and the worse part is she forced me to eat a piece of the mouse meat. yak...I did but threw up later on.
@bombshell (11266)
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh My God! yikesssssssssss hehehehe awful.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Dont hink I could eat it if I knew what it was. adn I couldnt ever think of eatting my pets. I know some countries do eat dog. and Native Americans used to eat them way back when in the 1800 and earlier dont know if they still do or not.
@zandi458 (27952)
I really don't think I can eat dog's meat as I love dogs.
@Lakota12 (42684)
am sure I cant either as I love dogs too,
@lazeebee (5468)
Hi Zandi, I'm not a vegetarian, but I would draw the line at any meat that's not meant for food. That includes dog, rabbits, cats, monkeys, so forth. People in certain Asian countries consider dog meat a delicacy, but it gives me the shudders! It's cruel to kill the poor dog!
@eden32 (3976)
Who decided which was meant for food & which isn't? There are specific breeds of rabbit raised for meat. How would hunting monkeys in Africa (assuming the monkey in question isn't an endangered animal) be any different than deer hunting in the US?
@zandi458 (27952)
I agree with you. Dogs are living things; they are man's best friend and should never be treated with such malice.
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
In my culture it would most likely be considered a cruelty as dogs are considered a friend and a family member rather than an animal. In principle I see no difference in eating a dog, a horse, a lion or a pig. But then again I do not eat much meat. Partly because I find it a bit cruel.
@zandi458 (27952)
It's cruelty. Dogs are smart animals and they can obey orders. I'm a dog lover, hence I would never agree to people eating dogs.
@Galena (9123)
so are pigs. pigs are at least as intelligent as dogs, if not more so, and can form great bonds of loyalty, and be taught commands and tricks. so those are not reasons enough to consider eating something cruel.
@Dday50627 (359)
well I see it this way. There are many cultures that feel the fact that we eat cows or chickens or pig is disgusting. To some it is a religion thing and to others, it is just something not done. Some cultures raise their cattle or other creatures as their pets. So I say that if in their own culture it is as accepted to eat dog as it is for me to eat a steak, then it is not cruelty. At least no more cruel than us killing a cow for food. Darrel
@zandi458 (27952)
It depends on culture. I guess it's okay to eat meat. Chinese too eat shark's fins, which are derived from an endangered species.
@laydee (12814)
Though I don't eat dog meat, nor have a curiosity about it. We should always remember that these are all animals and it's part of the circle that animals eat or be eaten. Yes, we may consider a dog as man's best friend, but the title doesn't only belong to the dog. There are others as well, like rabbits, they are good pets but they can be eaten too, etc. So if it is a delicacy for a country or place, then it's actually normal and isn't cruelty at all. I think cruelty only happens when they torture these animals in the process of killing for their meat. Otherwise, if it's done properly and hygienically then it is ok.
@zandi458 (27952)
It is cruelty! If the animals were, say chickens, ducks or swine, then it would be alright to consume them. But it's abnormal to eat dogs.
@laydee (12814)
Well, maybe in your place or area of origin it is abnormal, but obviously it isn't in their area. So who are we to judge which is abnormal and normal right? Like in India, it is considered a sin to eat cow's meat, but in other parts of the world, beef is a usual food, are we to say that they're abnormal for not eating cow? No, since it's their country and it's their belief so let it be. Same with the dogs, it may be abnormal for you but it isn't for them. So let them be.
I've never eaten dog meat, and I probably never will, but how is eating a dog, more cruel than eating a chicken? Muslims think it's dirty to eat a pig, and Hindus hold cows in high esteem as part of their religion, so probably feel as badly about eating a big juicy cheeseburger or a steeak, as we would about eating a puppy. People do differentthings in different countries.
@zandi458 (27952)
Dog meat can be a delicacy in some countries but how could we bring ourselves eating the pet that we adore. I agree with you people do weird things in different countries.
@cripfemme (7718)
I don't judge other people for what they eat. Every culture is different. Personally, though, I wouldn't eat fog no matter where I was. They are pets in America.
@zandi458 (27952)
You're right every culture is different and who are we judge. But I couldn't figure out why pets, those adorable dog ends up in someones stomach!
@Erssyl (617)
When I was child I thought it was a delicacy.I'm fond of eating dog's meat because my relatives cooked it deliciously.But now I don't eat dog's meat because I pity them when I see them killed.
@zandi458 (27952)
To some people dog's meat is a delicacy.
Well, as they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Who are we to judge the practices of another culture? I am sure somewhere in the world a Hindu is asking the same question about eating beef, since to them cows are sacred. I'm sitting here eating a big roast beef sandwich. Last night I had ham for dinner. What would Jews and Muslims think of that?
@zandi458 (27952)
You're right. It's their culture. So who are we to point fingers?
I think that some of us out there might think of it as being cruel only because that is something that we are not used to. Just like there are exotic meats that you can buy. While some of us look at those meats and think what is so exotic about that, others might think that they would have never thought those kind of animials shoudl or could be eaten. I think that it is only cruel depending on how you kill the animal. Worse case senario, if you were caught somewhere and there were only dogs to eat, and if you grew up around that you wouldn't think that is anything out of the ordinary. It's all a matter of how we were brought up and what we are around. The norm to our society is not always the norm in other societies around the world. I think to get a better understanding of others is key in order to understand how we are as people.
@zandi458 (27952)
Though I have not be exposed to dog eating culture from young, I respect those who eat dog's meat as it is part and parcel of their culture.
@eden32 (3976)
I think many animals raised for consumption are raised & slaughtered in less than humane ways. There was just an expose of a pork factory here in the US were workers were doing horrendous things to the pigs before they were slaughtered. I think all living things should be handled with respect. Which isn't to say that I don't think people should eat meat- but rather that the managing of the animal before and the slaughter itself should be as humane & quick as possible. I see no difference in raising chickens for meat than raising dogs for the same.
@zandi458 (27952)
I don't enjoy eating weird stuff.
@lilaclady (28240)
I think any sort of meat is cruel in some way, to inflict pain on anything that has feelings is cruel, just to say it is meat to eat doesn't make it not to be cruel...i prefer not to eat any meat as IO just hate the thought of any animal being slaughtered...
@zandi458 (27952)
If we don't put the animal in the picture we don't feel any cruelty. We only purchase the meat and have not seen the butchering of the animal then it is ok.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I consider it an absolute cruelty. There's nothing that would change my mind over that and I'll tell you why. About 25 years ago, I got this notice asking for donations to help stop places like Korea from eating dogs. The notice included pictures of dogs in terrible conditions including with their front legs tied behind their backs. It's something I'll never ever forget and it upset me to no end in which I had horrible nightmares afterwards. I finally had to write a letter to the company telling them to never ever send such things to me because of what it did, it darn near drove me insane! But if they needed donations, I'd be glad to be of help but pictures are just too much for me and I can take their word for it. So knowing what I know, it's cruelty at it's worst.
that's nasty! for me that;s cruelty and its against animal rights...animals do have feelings as well and i love dogs like how much i love my terrier...i treat him as my own son and knowing this kind of cruelty makes my temper boil...