A Tisket, a Tasket ...

Shirley in the Basket - 
Shirley decided to take over one of the baskets that I had beans growing in. Silly kitty.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
... a kitty in a basket. A lot of you know that I grew some vegetables this summer in just about any container that I could find. I had a few wicker baskets that weren't being used for anything else, so I planted some beans in them. Most of them did quite well, until Shirley found them, that is. I had a lot of my containers sitting on top of a trailer in the driveway, some of them up high enough that the bunnies and such couldn't get to them, where I could easily move them around into the sun, etc. I came out one morning to water and saw that Shirley had decided that this particular basket was perfect for her to take a nice nap in. It apparently didn't matter to her that it was packed with hard dirt and had beans growing in it, oh no, it was just Goldilocks perfect for her. After the first time I noticed her in it, I was able to bend the beans back up and they survived for a while, but she continued to sleep there until finally there was no saving that particular basket of beans. Cats sure do some silly things - what do your kitties do?
@onlydia (2808)
Well, before I had to get rid of my cat she used to crawl under the covers on my bed and sleep. And I could sit on my bed. But if my son tried she would try to bite him lol. or she would sllep in my closet in a plasic bag that I had clothes in for the Sal.Army. LOL. I tried tokeep her out of it but no. So had to take in right away. Your friend onlydia. I miss my cat. as she used to try to trip the guy's and chase them.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh my, my daughters cat is everywhere..Since my drawer broke where I was keeping my dish and hand towels, they are now on a table in a crate and this cat thought it would be cool to sleep there, but unfortunately she also leaves her hair on my clean towels..so I put tape all across it, sticky side up and showed her the tape, she then stopped going there..Weeks later, I got sick of reachign in around the tape to get my towels, so I took off just one piece and then I place this board halfway across it so she wouldn't notice the missing tape..Guess what?? After a few days, she found out that she can get into my towels without touching the sticky tape again.. so the board I put there is now covering the whole crate.. So, now she is finding new place to go..Like for instance, I had started to packed away some sheets in a box for my daughters bed and it was closed, not with tape but where you fold the ends into each other..So this cat, just a few minutes ago, put her paw, (I watched her do this too..), into the hole in the middle and made it big enough for her to squeeze into..She is such a crazy cat..
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Shirley Disturbed From Her Nap - Shirley found a way into the nice soft bed of my kitchen towels in a drawer.
Oh yes, they're definitely little investigators. I have my dishtowels in a kitchen drawer too and got the scare of my life when I opened it one day and reached my hand into both of them, Laverne and Shirley. I wasn't quick enough to get a picture that time, but I did get one later of just Shirley after I woke her up. Here is is ...
Oh yeah, I remember you sharing that picture before..So how did they get in? And did you have to rewash all the towels? The first time my daughters cat was in there, I had to rewash about three towels, this last time only one..
Thanks for the BR..Did you know since I replied to this, that my daughters cat found another hiding spot, except I don't know where..?? Because she was missing most of the day and when she finally appeared, she jumped down behind me, where that crate is with the towels..But she couldn't have been there with this board, so she either found another one on this table or she was on the refrigerator..
@stephcjh (32327)
I don't have any cats. I just have a dog and a hamster for now. They keep me busy too LOL. We planted a small garden this year and just had some green onions, leaf lettuce and some tomato plants. We just recently cleaned the garden out.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
My tomato plants are still FLOWERING, can you believe that?
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
hope u got a picture of her in the basket. i don't have any cats but know they are fun. my mother hated cats so we were never allowed to have a cat when i was growing up. i have a dog now so don't need anything else that has to be fed.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Yes, the picture is attached. Come to the site and check it out. She's quite cute laying there all curled up.
@Chevee (5915)
I don't have any cats, but you come up with some brilliant ideas. I have things like that around the house and next spring I am going to try that, it is better than trying to get outside and dig up the ground. Shirley is big, she fills the whole basket, those beans did not stand a chance. She is a beautiful cat, and she looks real comfortable and relax, smashing your beans down. Happy relaxing Shirley !!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Check out the gardening forum for some of my discussions about my container gardening, or go to my profile and look for some of the earlier discussions about that subject. I started seeds in everything I could find. The best bean plants I had were planted in a large KFC chicken bucket!
@Chevee (5915)
You go girl, I bet you don't have a bored bone in your body. I hear people always saying I am bored. I bet you never get bored with ideas like that you can always find something to do.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Oh, don't believe that. I'm often bored to tears.
@ElicBxn (60884)
"Shirley" she could've found a better bed - but I guess not in her opinion.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
LOL. There is nothing 'shir' about my Shirley.
@ElicBxn (60884)
LOL but she's a beautifully colored girl, I'm "shir" she knows she's a beauty
@fifileigh (3619)
my cat likes to go on high places and sit, like the refrigerator, my dresser, my bookshelf, as well as the steps, his bed with blanket if it is cold, by the window, climbing the blinds and furniture, etc.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I'm sure it is something that goes back to their ancestors, like climbing in trees.
@fifileigh (3619)
yeah...cats r hunters...like to sit on high places to check out their prey, and suddenly and slowly sneak up on them and attack. Gumby is very sneaky and sly.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I know exactly how you feel but my kitten decided it was my tire of flowers he wanted play in and take a nap in. Poor flowers didn't stand a chance no matter how many times we would get him out he'd wait for our backs to be turned and he would be right back in. He is a very stubborn kitty. He also plays with the vines of my flowers I have on my porch that are trailing long over the sides of the pots he thinks of it as his own personal toy. He will bat at the vines for 45 minutes or so before moving off to see what else he can get onto he also ruined my Gladiolas because they moved with the breeze he would attack them and broke them. I am hoping he will grow out of it by next year. He is only a four months old and I guess I should have named him Spunky instead of Hercules.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Good luck! I don't think cats every fully grow up.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Yeah I agree but we love them regardless of the annoying things they do..lol I guess acting like they do sometimes brings a smile to my face and heart. So I figure they are heart healthy animals..lol
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I had this cat named Jinx who used to sleep in boxes, the bathroom sink, with his face in somebody's shoe. I have some pretty neat photos of him doing all kinds of goofy things!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I think you shared the one with the shoe here before, didn't you? They are so silly!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep I think so!
@Loverbear (4928)
Two of my semi feral cats are great at finding strange places to sleep. Last summer they decided to sleep in the catnip planter...behind a sign that read "dog crossing". I thought that was sooo funny. I got pix of it and will post them somewhere along the line. They also have a favorite spot on top of my home, on top of the swamp cooler! It's so funny to see Groucho and Harpo on top of the cooler cuddled up together catching a cat nap! Murphy hated the litter I used when she was a kitten, so she pooped in my Mom's potted plants. For two years a battle raged between them, and the mornings mantra was "YOUR CAT POOPED IN MY POTTED PLANTS". It got to the point of being awfully funny, but then I discovered her distaste for the litter and changed brands. It cured the poop problem. She now will snooze in the bathroom sink. I sometimes think it would be great to have one of the auto on faucets in the bathroom, but then have to realize that it wouldn't work because Murphy would get a "shower" every time she got in the sink!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Oh, that's funny about sleeping near the sign. I'd love to see that picture. And yes, I've seen many cats that like to nap in the sink. I guess the shape of the bowl is nice and cozy for them.
I don't have cats or dogs at home. But your story is so cute, and funny. I think I want to hear more of Shirley. She must be your angel. In as much as I wanted to have pets at home, I have toddlers I refrain from playing them with. Maybe when they grew a little older. Happy myLotting!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I've posted other silly things about Shirley, so I'm sure there will be more. She's out there stalking this morning, chasing all sorts of prey (dried leaves, the broom, etc).
@aseretdd (13736)
My daugter would love this picture... she loves looking at cat images in the computer... we do not have any pets at home because of lack of space... but i know she loves love them... especially cats... i think the basket is perfect for her... the color suits her well... and i feel sorry for your beans... i hope you can plant some where she will not eventually invade their space...
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Believe it or not, the first few times she did it I was able to straighten up the stalk and even got a few beans from it. As she continued to do it every day, it didn't take long for them to finally meet their demise, so I gave up. Yes, I still had other bean plants in containers that she couldn't get into.
@dragon54u (31615)
She probably like the warmth of the dirt. I planted some flower along my garage and they're very pretty. My dogs paid no attention to that area before I put in the flowers but now they walk through it and pee all over the flowers! Animals seem to have a fascination with whatever places we want to put to good use.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
The basket was the purr-fect size for her to curl up in, as you can see. I just don't understand why she would think that the beans growing straight up out of it were a good bed partner.
@gemini_rose (16193)
What a lovely looking cat! I no longer have any cats but I used to have a blue persian called Blue. He was a real character, I think he modelled himself on garfield because that is who he always reminded me of. Anyway, he used to like to sleep in the tumble dryer, and he could even open the door I remember the first time I found him in it, about a minute after I had switched it on. I did not know he was in there, I heard this THUMP THUMP and I quickly switched it off, opened the door and out miaowed Blue with so much static in his fur that when I touched him I got a shock! He was very lucky that day, and from then on I had to check every time I wanted to use it.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Ouch! I've heard of other cats doing that too, though. I'm sure it's because it's dark and warm, just like curling up under the hood of a car.
@fasttalker (2797)
Cat sleeping - Natural enemies? Don't think so.
I think they just like being adventurous or something. Mine likes sleeping with the dogs. He thinks he is a dog! LOL Yours looks so comfortable! Check this one out!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Those are your critters? Too funny!
• Lubbock, Texas
cat nap - My cat, Gracie enjoying the freshly laundered couch cover.
How adorable. . .and irritating! Look at the picture attached. This is cute when Gracie's on the couch, but when she gets up on the coffee table or the end table where I have potted plants or what nots and she keeps wiggling and squirming until she's made a spot big enough to stretch out on it isn't. Usually something ends up in the floor.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
They do want things their way, don't they?
@cortney09 (1346)
I don't have any cats. I think that is pretty funny that your kitty decided that was the perfect spot. My little dog does some weird thing though. I am beginning to think that she is a cat trapped in a dogs body.
@shana123 (2096)
That picture is really nice , so you dint get angry on her? lol i would have done something if the cat is spoiling something which i do it with passion , yea gardening and seeing the small saplings to grow is something bring joy to our heart, green joy :) anyways you like the cat more than that so , you dint worry for anything i guess.So your going to give that bag like thing to your kitty itself? i dont have kitty at home , surely i cant bear such things lol, but my friend has many kittens at home , i enjoy playing with those little ones..
@bellis716 (4806)
Cats love any kind of container, just so long as it was their idea to get into it. Our cat has a chair of his own, a straight back chair with a cushion. One day a neighbor came to visit and sat in "his" chair. He just sat in front of her and gave her the evil eye until she asked what he wanted. I told her that she was sitting in his chair. She laughed and moved to another chair. He jumped up into his chair, curled up and went to sleep. She's careful not to sit in the cat's chair now when she comes to visit.
Awwwww. Shirley is so cute. The picture is just adorable. I wish I had a cat. When I had cats, they would crawl into boxes and onto things to sleep. Their favorite spot was in my lap though. I miss having a cat.