Why does a person you couldn't stand in high school still bother you so much as

@dizzblnd (3073)
20-30 years after you graduated? I am 36. There are a few people that I went to high school with that I "hated". Since I still live in the same town I grew up in, and so do they, there are occasions I will see these people. When I do, it brings up the same feelings that should be ancient. I should be all grown up now and able to get past the petty crap that I feel. But somehow it makes me feel 16 again. I want to just go up to them and punch them square in their face. Oh yes.. the feelings are mutual form the other person, I can tell from the stares and glares that come my way as they (seemingly) talk about me to their friends. Paranoia? Probably. Mind you these people never really did anything to me or vice versa.. it's just that we never clicked during that times in our "cliquesh" life. Are you all grown up? Or do the people from so far in your past bring ups the same angst as they did so long ago?
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey dizz! You are so not alone on this one! I am alot older than you are and I still want to kick the crap out of the people that I hated in high school! I don't think that feeling ever goes away! I can still remember those looks and how I felt and that was over 35 years ago! I still live in the same town but I don't see any of the people or if I did I wouldn't recognize them because they're freaken old farts! If I did recognize them and they had a walker I still would want to kick the crap out of them just for old times sake. So girlfriend you are not alone!
@dizzblnd (3073)
LOL! I could just see you knocking their walkers out from under them and taunting them with it! You are fortunate to not have to see those people anymore. I wish these people would move 'cause I'm not going anywhere!
Because our learning capability at school and getting the distinction also differs from one person to other so definetly it will be variation between each and every person.
@dizzblnd (3073)
That makes sense.. one just can't shake the past
@ZephyrSun (7385)
That's funny. I never see people I went to high school with except for my family. I had like 10 family members that went to high school with me. I live about 20 miles from the small town that I lived in while going to school but never see any of them.
@dizzblnd (3073)
Maybe I need to come live in your town then just so I don't have to see these people. How lucky you are to be able to avoid them if you can't stand the sight of them.
@msedge (4012)
I would think maybe theres a rivalry or jealousy going on with you and them.I would suggest ignore and stay away from them because they might be a threat to your life.Don't be bothered, just move on to your life.As long as you know you are not doing anything bad and you are not hurting anyone i know God will always guide you.
It's not just highschool, it's not just elementary school, it's not just school. When someone bugged you, and I mean really bugged you, years ago, that fact will haunt you until the issue is somehow resolved. My mother likes to say "ignore it, you shouldn't think of it all those years later" but because there was no closure on the issue, it'll always be there. I know this feeling very well.