What age to fix a cat?

A kitty adopted us a couple weeks ago, and we have no idea how old he is; but we're thinking it may be time to get him neutered. How do you know when it's time for a kitty to be neutered?
@mcat19 (1358)
It depends on what your vet is comfortable with. Some vets neuter as young as 8 weeks. Most do it around 3 or 4 months. Check with your vet and do it as soon as your vet is willing to do it. Thank you for being a responsible cat owner and doing this for him.
OK, 3-4 months. I don't know how old he is, but I know he's at least 3 months. THANK YOU!
@owlwings (39229)
• Cambridge, England
I think that it is certainly before the cat is a year old. Ask your vet (who will also be able to tell you how old the cat is).
I have heard anywhere from 3 - 8 mos. It seems to vary with vet clinics. My vet does it as early as 5 mos. It is easiest and cheapest for a male cat.