Tinker's Barn in Vermont, what a fun place to stop and shop.

@writersedge (22579)
I was really surprised, after getting my picture ID, my husband wanted to go straight home. But I told him we don't go to Vermont any more and I'd like to stop to some place fun. He usually will only go one place fun so I looked and looked along route 2. Suddenly, I saw a place that looked like it had all kinds of stuff and it did. My husband did stop. The stuff in the antique and necessities shop: tools, housewares, kitchen implements, glassware, books, knicknacks, jewelry, hats, fishing gear, hunting gear, period clothing and glasses, buttons, furniture, buttons, books, magazines, collectable papers and documents, toys, farm items I picked a good one for one stop. They've been in business for 30 years, so she and her husband know what people want, need, and like. My husband bought a pair of clip on sunglasses for $4 and I got a scoup of buttons for $1. He really needed the sunglasses and I have ideas for the buttons. A couple looked like chandeliers when hung upside down and some looked like eyes. Others will look like whatever I paint them or add polymer clay to them to look like. That's all we could afford to spend. She said she had over 400 hats, she rotates them because she can't put more than so many out at a time. Things ranged from $1 to hundreds of dollars. Is there a place with all kinds of things for sale second hand where you live? Do you have fun when you go there? How often do you go? Do you have a place like this where you live?
@carolbee (16241)
I really like the name of the store where you shopped. I think the name alone would pull me in there to look around. I've been in the dollar store here and it was a neat experience. Although the items aren't used, there were some good bargains. All kinds of little things to buy and use for craft projects. I love to get lost in Michael's and look around. Also Walmart in the craft section.
@writersedge (22579)
Yeah, the name is cool, isn't it? It had to be for me to remember it and so did my husband. We never remember names. I like all those places, too, but there is something special about a place with all kinds of old things just waiting for someone to use or love them again. Thanks and take care.
Where in Vermont is this place? I would love to visit it.
@writersedge (22579)
Route 2, Northern VT. I'll have to aske my husband if he can be more specific. Maybe he remembers the towns it is between or the one it is in.
@PearlGrace (3172)
Your trip to Tinker's Barn in Vermont sounds like a lot of fun! We have some antique shops here, but they are pretty small, hole-in-the-wall sorts of places. We used to have an antique mall but it gone completely blown away in the hurricane in 2004. I miss that place! Your buttons sound pretty cool and $4 is such a deal for decent sunglasses. I haven't been antiquing in quite some time. Since we downsized our home 5 years ago, I don't really have any spare room for extra "stuff". It's fun to pick up a few little trinkets here and there.
@writersedge (22579)
That is so sad about the antique mall. Wow! This is actually about the third place I've been to that has a bunch of rooms and a second floor. There is also one place that used to be a really, really long horse barn and it has stall after stall of stuff from vendor after vendor. Plus it has a second floor with furniture. My question is, whose bright idea is it to have furniture on the second floor of these places? But I liked this place best because most of the places have nothing for less than $30. My hubbie and I both found something we could afford and Tinker's Barn tries to have something for everyone. Thanks and take care.
Sounds like a nice shop. I may have to stop by there the next time I'm in Vermont. There aren't any shops like that right around here, but there are some cool shops farther out-- within an hour or two of here.
@writersedge (22579)
So what do the cool shops have? What are they like? Do they have names that you can remember? Thanks and take care.
@carmelanirel (20979)
No, I don't get out as much as I like, but I remember going to places like that and hope to go again soon..I love visiting different places and places of business, it is fun..
@writersedge (22579)
The period clothing was so great and so were the cameos. I hope when my husband and I retire we can be reinactors. But who knows what the future will hold. I really think we would have fun in our retirement that way.