Someone where I work today said she got an offer to stay at someone's house if

@writersedge (22579)
the weather turned bad on a certain route. She said she probably would never take up that offer. I told her, you can't drive 25 miles in a white-out. That route has them in the winter time. I was caught in one before and 8 miles was almost more than I could take and I went off the road a few times. Luckily there wasn't much snow or accumulation. "So oh yes you will take her up on it." I really wish I had had that offer on that route. Then she said, "Wow, maybe I really should take her up on it if the weather is bad. I didn't think it would be any worse than the routes I drive." The routes she drives are city, houses, trees, lots of stuff blocking the wind and the snow. The routes out there have acres and acres of nothing but fields that the wind can send blankets of snow and whirling snow. It's an entirely different world on some of the farmland, field routes up here in the winter time. Nothing to stop the snow for blowing for miles up here. Used to be snow fense, farmers were paid to put it up, but the 60mph winds that come sometimes or even 10 to 20 with heavy or wet snow, just knocks them down so the farmers quit putting them up. I told her to put a shovel in her car. Get a sleeping bag. Some food. Candles and cans, but make sure they don't have any soldier (saudder) on the cans. Do a pretend try in her own driveway and see if she can actually shovel and how much snow (she's 62, looks 45, I kid you not, I thought she was 5 years younger than me). See what else you need. I told her some dry food. She had thought of flares. Now I'm wishing I had said extra mittens and socks. She should figure that out if she tries after a storm in her driveway. I was stuck in snow one time and had to shovel my way out. No one else on the route to help me. I had a small shovel in the trunk of my car. Thank goodness I had it. Have you ever had to talk to someone until they understood how serious something is in your area? Have you ever explained what to do or provided a list of things the person would need? Different places have different dangers, even 25 to 30 miles away that people may not have been exposed to or understand.
@PearlGrace (3172)
It sounds like you live either in the mountains or way out in the country somewhere. I have driven a little in a white out, but mostly it was intown when we lived up north. Still, that is horribly scary and I hope to never drive, or ride through a white-out again. The only time I've ever tried to explain something that serious was when we had hurricane watches and warnings up a few years ago. People would say, "I can't evacuate because I have to go to work" and that would make me crazy. I mean, after all, if you get maimed or killed in a hurricane, it's not gonna be possible to go to work. So what if a person misses one day of work if it's going to save his/her own life? I just don't get that mentality. I am a VERY responsible person, but I do have my priorities, my life, being at the top of the list.
@writersedge (22579)
The area has large farms, 100 acres is probably average. So miles and miles of nothing but fields dotted with some farmhouses on that route. I don't live on that route, but I've had to travel it and it is a doozie! I think some people don't understand how bad something is unless they experience it themselves. Also the news reports always play up the ones that stay behind, every notice that? Thanks and take care.
One nursing home that I worked in told us to come prepared to stay, because if it was so bad people could not come in and relieve us we would need to stay, we could shower and sleep in spare rooms or chapel or quiet room. Most people said they would not stay, regardless. We never needed to try it out while I worked there.
@writersedge (22579)
Same thing in a prison I worked in. They made up many beds for officers and others who stayed during the ice storm. I was trapped at home. If I had been there, I would have rather used my sleeping bag than blankets washed by prisoners and probably previously used by them, too. Always pays to be prepared.
My aunt once told me she was nervous about traveling with my elderly grandmother at Thanksgiving time. I told her about all those precautions. She laughed at me, and said "You probably do all that, don't you?" and I told her yes. Come on people, you say something makes you nervous, then you better do something to better your odds.
It was my aunt that laughed at me. Mom thought I was pretty smart. I am a belt and suspenders type of gal. I tried to get a California college kid out of a ditch here. He had never seen snow, was looking off into a field and drove into a ditch and got stuck. Could not do it, and he needed to get back to college. It was not serious or life threatening. I had tools in my little Datsun stationwagon, a hoe, because I often got high centered, but I was not able to get him out. I gave him and his girlfriend a ride back to class. I suggested he use emergency road service and get pulled out. He said his dad did not have that insurance on his little white sporty vehicle, it cost too much. I found that unacceptable, as that is the only insurance my kid ever had to use. It was an expensive car, and should have been insured. He got a bunch of soccer players together and just lifted it out of the ditch.
@writersedge (22579)
I have triple A and we have used it a lot. I can't imagine sending a kid to college without some type of help if they need it. But then I couldn't afford the time or money for kids, so didn't adopt any. Sounds like your Mom is cool, but your other relative needs a little work. I'm very practical, too. We get told over and over up here, every year what to do on the radio, tv, and in the newspaper. People don't get the newspaper and change the channel on the radio and tv when the news comes on. Then they ask how they were supposed to know? How about the survival in a car kits at Gander Mountain? They shop there sometimes? It's just amazing to me that people can live here and not have what they need in their car. Oh well, got to call and have my oil changed. Did I ever tell you about the neighbor who drove her car without changing the oil until it was burnt toast? I rest my case.