Breaking Company Rules on Dress Code

Hong Kong
Most of the time, I don’t understand why company have such straight rule on dress code, even when those staff don’t have to meet clients (and pretend to be professional) at all. My company is in business causal dress code, it basically allows decent outfit, except jeans. However, I got too bored today wearing my work black pants all the time, I opted for a total black jeans this morning. A couple of colleagues do that too and I feel so much like me today! Fantastic. Think I will do this time to time since I find the dress code confining my creativity (what an excuse!) *laughs*. Have you ever broken any rule on dress code?
@shonali (1286)
yeah ...there are many fabrics in denim now a days which dont even look like denim but look like cotton formal wear... i hated it too when my company went all formals suddenly and i went helter skelter to buy formals as i never ever wore formals..... again now i have been called for an interview in a firm and after all these years again im going to so many different shops to look for formals but not finding one good formal trouser though there are so many formal ladies shirts everywhere..... i wish it would go back to the old days where jeans and a decent top would be enough .... thats what even i used to think that we arent the ones who would be meeting clients so why do we have to wear formals all the time? but anyways.... company rules and rules and if we got to work there then we got to abide by the rules i guess :(
@aseretdd (13736)
If one is working in a school environment... then i would understand the strict dress code... but for an office... then the top boss must be very conservative... there should always be a day when employees can dress up the way they want to... just to break the monotony... I am glad that i do not have to go through those strict dress code... since i am the only one in the office... so no one would reprimand me...
@drannhh (15241)
Yes, once I went to an office job with my hair in braids, that is one braid on each side just behind each ear and they were close to waist length. Well, the boss was a long-haired woman too, and she also wore a braid, but just one down the center of her back. I had worn my hair up for the interview and for the first few weeks at the job, but seeing that she wore her hair down, that one day so did I. She called me in a started some rant about braids not being appropriate. I said what do you mean, YOU are wearing your hair braided even as you say this. She said one was ok but not two. I told her she could chose whether she wanted me to leave right then or leave at the end of the day. She said she wanted me to stay but to wear my hair differently the next day. I worked the rest of the day but never went back there. I can understand companies wanting people to cover up if you know what I mean, but some of the dress codes are ridiculous. Your creativity is exactly what they were designed to confine. Oh, yes, I have broken quite a few of those rules.
As I asnwered before, I work for myself, so if I want to show up for work naked, I can. LOL I have always wondered about one thing, though. Howcome black jeans, and even red or green jeans are somewhat OK, but blue jeans are deemed unprofessional? It's the same material, just a different colour. I don't get it.
@writersedge (22579)
Yup, sneakers instead of dress shoes on cement floors. Do it all the time, not enough cushioning in my dress shoes for the floors. Either break the dress code or I wouldn't be walking.
@SViswan (12071)
I work at a school and we have a dress code that says no denims...so jeans is out. But since we handle very young children, we felt jeans was one of the most comfortable things we could wear and spoke to the Principal about it. And we are now allowed to wear jeans. The dress code also says no sleeveless. I understand why....but I find that my colleagues wear them all the time. Though most of my outfits are sleeveless, I refrain from wearing them to work (except once and I made sure I was clean unlike some of the others who wear them to work). Unreasonable work related dress codes I do not understand....for us, a sari is actually allowed while jeans weren't. And not only is working in a sari uncomfortable, it also exposes some parts of your body. I understand wearing a sari when we have a meeting with parents and we aren't moving around much but not when I am with the kids.