Nature or Nurture?

Yes, it is true. Even today, the age old question of whether people are born a certain way or do they learn to become as they are, has not been completely answered. Today, we wonder, is the body language of despots and dictator thugs learned or in their genes? Click the photo. I say that either Obama is a student of history and this pose which I've seen many times is not accidental. Or Obama naturally tilts back his head and juts his chin. If Obama is consciously emitting this gesture we probably have a serious problem with a delusional disturbed person. Who else would mimick one of the worst dictators to have ever lived? If Obama is not aware he is doing this, it is just the sad gesture of a pathetic wannabe. What do you say?
@Barb42 (4225)
Where is the picture? But, like you, I've seen some poses of Obama, even during the last debate, that bothered me. I have no idea what your photo showed about him, but he has a way of throwing his head back, setting those eyes stern, throwing that chin out and those teeth are set so hard, he has impressions in his jaw! He gives the impression that he is the authority and we are little peons, and it doesn't matter to whom he is speaking. He bothers me! I believe he has been guided by others to be the way he is right now. I don't believe he was brought up this way by his grandparents, because we never hear about them. I believe he is a product of his learning through college and of those he's had contact with in his years right afterwards.
@Barb42 (4225)
Oops! Blame this second one on the Internet!!
Obama compared to historical despot - Obama strikes a classic pose from history.
Okay, if you blame the photo not orginally posting on the internet, too!
"He has a way of throwing his head back, setting those eyes stern, throwing that chin out and those teeth are set so hard, he has impressions in his jaw! He gives the impression that he is the authority and we are little peons." Wow, did you ever nail it! I could not find it, but there exists somewhere an old newsreel of Mussollinni doing exactly as you describe, repeatedly. 0bama is an educated person. I think this is on purpose.
@speakeasy (4215)
Actualy, I believe that his "posture" and "attitude" are a combination of both nature AND nurture. He is intelligent and he is well aware of that fact - that is nature. However, his experiences in school, college, and work (nurture) have reinforced the fact that he is smarter than many of the people surrounding him. His family was probably very proud of his performance in all of these areas and made sure he was aware of it. This has resulted in this defiant, superior attitude that he portrays. It is an air of "I AM better than you and if you can't see that it just proves how stupid YOU are." Obama is well on his way to a full blown case of meglomania unless someone stops him. If he wins this election, he will feel that it simply proves that he was right about his own superiority. If he loses the election, he will not admit that someone else was better than him; it must be caused by all those "stupid people" out there who are too stupid to recognize his greatness.
I think there is a lot in what you say. 0bama could use a serious sized extra large portion of humble pie. I would add that many high IQ people get intellectually lazy. They learn they are smart and get use to being right a lot. After time, they just get to assuming they are right, even when they have not done the proper work and analysis to justify their confidence in themselves. I really believe 0bama has become one of those people.
@speakeasy (4215)
Exactly; and, when you combine intellectual laziness with blind ambition and a sense of entitlement - you end up with Obama.
@soooobored (1187)
You had me all revved up, a discussion from you not about Obama!! About a topic that is close to my heart, no less... (I looked for a "wistful" face, but this was the best I could do) As for the picture, eh. When the election is over, I look forward to discussions from you about other topics! I enjoy you and would be interested in what you have to say about other things!
The picture is in response #2. I had trouble getting it posted. Internet trouble. The nut behind the keyboard was loose. Actually, now that you mention it, it will be fun to get back to fun things. I'll keep an eye out for something.
LOL, I saw the picture, I'm just not impressed. But the funny thing is when I was logging onto my computer just now, my home page is msn.com and front and center was a picture of McCain in almost exactly the same pose! I would upload it here, but I have no clue how to do comment pictures, I don't think I'm allowed to yet!
@Barb42 (4225)
You have described the photo. I put one of 0bama next to Mussollini. I am still trying to get it posted. I don't know what the problem is yet.
PHOTO IN RESPONSE #2
I see it. You see it. Some people who are voting for McCain see it. However, a whole lot of people voting for Obama do not see it. They don't get it. Most of them are so filled with anger toward Bush that they cannot see just how bad it will be if they elect Obama. If Obama looks like a control freak, no problem for them. They want someone to shake things up. They have the idea that things could not get worse. I have tried to reason why some well-educated people would actually vote for him. A formal education does not insure that a person will have morals and decent values. If someone is voting for Obama, they need to see what he is all about. If they are doing the research, and they still want to vote for him, they are ignorant. There education means nothing. I am not impressed.
I say you are right.
@Destiny007 (5820)
I read a very long article the other day about this very thing... in fact it was another member who posted about it. In my personal opinion, 0bama is extremely delusional and believes himself to be "chosen". I think a whole lot of people are going to be disappointed and worse if he is elected.
I like that others are seeing it. Then there is the photog who took the picture and the editor who used it. They had to chose this picture for a reason. Yes, I still maintain 0bama could do for the USA what Mugabee did for Zimbabwee.
@clrumfelt (5426)
I think Obama's poses are a hoot! I could care less if he wants to pose for the camera, for his own egotism or for lack of mental balance, I am not voting for him because he is the least experienced candidate, he has shady business dealings and personal associations that cast doubt on his honesty and because he has no workable proposals to help the USA with the serious problems we have right now. I laughed at some of his poses during the debate in Nashville because he looked very much like he was "sitting pretty" for the camera. Some reporters contrasted his poses to McCain's, saying McCain sat uneasily on his stool. I think if I had undergone the torturous injuries McCain suffered during his POW days, I probably wouldn't be able to sit on a stool and look pretty, either.
Yes, McCain, has suffered for his country. To me it looks like 0bama is going to make his country suffer. Imagine it, 0bama, friend to terrorists like Ayers will have access to nuclear weapons and command of the US military and all that destructive power. Will the terrorist, Ayers, have access to 0bama while 0bama is President? Will 0bama seek his friend's advice? Trust me, I won't be voting for 0bama, either.
@clrumfelt (5426)
I still stand with my conviction that Obama will NEVER wield such power because I think deep down the American people have more sense than to elect him. They are not that gullible, in spite of what the MSM would have us to believe. Obama's supporters are in the limelight presenting this fantasy because they are more vocal and have the funds to stay there. Most people know not to believe everthing they see on TV and they will put an end to Obama's soap opera soon enough.
I pray you are right, but the fact the American public elected Bill Clinton twice to be President does not comfort me as to getting my hopes up for 0bama not being able to fool them, too.