Parent/Teacher conferences

@mommyboo (13198)
This seems to be the week for them - at least out here! Do you have one scheduled and are they a yearly source of concern or a reason to brag on your kids? I'm for the most part 'inbetween' dealing with these, although I do have to email and/or call my son's teachers occasionally. It's not an annual requirement (or even common) to make conferences with 6 high school teachers. For elementary, it's a given, the kids even have minimum days to allow the teachers the week to schedule with parents in the afternoons.
@lilybug (21148)
My son's school is doing parent teacher conferences next week on Thursday. We do not make appointments at his school. Conferences are from 2 pm to 7 pm. You just show up when you want to show up.
@mommyboo (13198)
What if you have too many people arrive at the same time?
@lilybug (21148)
Then you have to wait in line. Silly huh?
@ronaldinu (12445)
• Malta
If I could make a decision i would remove parent/teachers annual conferences. I would only retain a conference at the initial of the scholastic year and than I am in favour of an open door policy which means as a teacher I can contact parents by phone or by email when the need arises.
@mommyboo (13198)
Are you meaning more like an open house for parents? They hold those at the high school but you never get an opportunity to actually sit and discuss any educational progress, problems, or anything like that. I am always in favor of an open door policy, I like knowing that as a parent, I can email, phone, or come by to talk to a teacher, or even visit the classroom if necessary. Since teachers are expecting parents to be part of educating their children, they need to be available to us or let us see the curriculum/class from time to time when we see fit. I would have a problem if I could not see how a class went if I felt it was necessary.