Is It Illegal To . . . ?

@gtargirl (5385)
There's a beeping in our house and it won't go away. We know it's the smoke alarm but there's just one problem. We've already taken the battery out but it keeps on going. LOL. It has the pink bunny syndrome. Then we got a drill and took the rest of the thing off. It still beeps. The house still has eight more smoke alarms attached but I heard it was illegal to remove them. Is it? Does anyone know? Granted I heard this from an episode of "Friends." Hehehehe. I think we wrote that episode. In any case, does anyone know for reals? Oh, and by the way how do we stop the beeping? LOL.
Honestly, it use to not be, but now it is and they also require you to clean them every 12 months I believe, and replace the battery.
@gtargirl (5385)
Well, we're replacing batteries . . . again. Maybe we should use a different brand of battery. Who knows? I wonder if we might have to clean them more than once a year? It is pretty dusty out here in the desert. Thanks, my friend. Hope you're having an awesome evening or morning.
@jenboops (96)
I really don't think it is illegal. I believe that the rule in general is one per floor, but not a law. I do know that you can call your local fire department and they can check out the one your having a problem with. They'll probably even give you a new one.
@gtargirl (5385)
There's a two-man fire department down the street. It would be fun visiting. Makes sense to ask them for advice.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
To stop the beeping I would have hid it under something or put it out side because it would surely had drove me nuts. Maybe it just needs to be replaced some have a warranty of only 2-5 years and need to be replaced. We have one that is electric it is wired right into the house and has saved the house from burning down once n the 12 years we lived here. It does take batteries also that need to be replaced every so often for when the electric goes out. So how did you solve the problem and did you get the beeping stopped?
@carolbee (16241)
Are you the homeowner? Am only asking because if you don't own the house, the owner placed the smoke detectors in the house and you remove them, then there could be a problem. Sorry, I don't mean to be nosey. If you own the home, it's your choice whether you want to buy and install them. We have a gas/carbon monoxide monitor and smoke detector that is battery operated. This also happened to us so I opened the back of the detector and tucked inside is a plug in cord. I replaced the battery and plugged the detector in the wall and the beeping stopped. This beeping went on for hours until I finally put the thing outside in the garage where I couldn't hear it and then found the instruction booklet. Talk about feeling like a dork!
@Lakota12 (42681)
usually when ours beep we change the battery make sure its the right one! ours takes a 9 volt akaline one. taking tiit out should have stopped it if it is the right one! Dont know if illegale or not but dont know if I would like to go with out ours. Do you also have a security system in your house I found out that the beeping in ours came from there and had to change the battery.
@stephcjh (32327)
I'm not positive, but I do not think it is illegal to remove them as long as you have other ones in the house that are working. That beeping would drive me crazy.