Do you honestly think she COULD have said no?

@jerzgirl (8054)
Gloucester City, New Jersey
Seriously. She's in front of a camera, in thousands of homes at the same time. She has to come back the next day. Do you think she could have said 'no'? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7663350.stm I think this was pretty slick. They had his set up, the cameras ready, everyone knew their places....except her! I like it, but still have to wonder. Could she have said "no" if she wasn't ready? Or is that why he did it (and other men like him)? Might they be trying to keep from hearing the answer they don't want? Men - feel free to chime in here. I'm curious.
@myklj999 (20055)
Shneaky...veeeery shneaky. Myself, I would never do something like that; I would propose in private, just the two of us. I imagine he was pretty sure of himself or I don't think he would have done it, but I could be wrong. It would be kind of hard for her to say no under those circumstances unless she was the type that won't be pushed in to something "just because", if you know what I mean...and that is the type of girl I like, the kind that knows what she wants and won't let herself be cornered into saying "yes" when she really doesn't want to, or is not yet sure.
@jerzgirl (8054)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
That's good. I was one of those ones who didn't want to hurt feelings by saying "no". The first one worked out - he ended up going after the girl he'd "prayed about" before asking me. Worked out just fine! In fact, he went and got the deposit back on the ring BEFORE telling me. Yeah - I'm real glad that worked like that. Never married her either. The other one I alluded to in one of my responses to one of your discussions about felons and voting rights. So, you kind of know a little about that environment. But, you don't know the whole story and I did, and I still went with it. Big time error on my part. Other than I have my two kids and would have only had one if I'd backed out, I wish I'd never gone through with it. But, the stigma at that time of no marriage and a baby were just enough to keep me under those crepe paper wedding bells. We all play the fool at times and I am the Queen of Fools. But, yes - if the girl were like me in any way, that kind of situation would be VERY hard to back out of and save face. I admire those who can stand and say, "I'm really sorry, but I just am not ready." And, I know myself well enough now to say, even 28 years after the first time, "I'm sorry, but I'm STILL not ready."
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
So romantic. HHehhehe hmmm Best wishes to the couple involved. I think it is a bit extravagant to propose infront of everybody else. I would find it hard to do that.
@jerzgirl (8054)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I would be so embarrassed with such a public display. I never even wanted a big wedding because of having to walk down in front of so many people watching me. But, you could see it on her face, she had no clue what was happening. And, I do believe she was happy and very much wanted to marry him. Even though I had the thought that I had, it's still pretty cool that a guy goes to such lengths to pop the question.
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
I think the guy was just trying to be romantic, and wasn't doing it only because he thought she couldn't say no. I agree that she probably couldn't have said no like that in front of the whole world, but if she truly isn't ready, she can tell him that later off camera.
@jerzgirl (8054)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I think he was pretty sure of her answer, and apparently, so were her coworkers, but I guess it's just that I'm not very demonstrative and wouldn't want it to be that publicly done. Yet, in some cases, I do wonder why they do it that way. Is it a guy thing?
@Sheepie (3118)
Aww. That was so nice. I think I've seen a time where the woman said no on television, it was on a football field or something like that. I think it's nice he had the courage to do that when she in fact could have said no, and it would have been a huge embarrassment for both of them and everyone watching.
@jerzgirl (8054)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I remember that one on the football field. She was tricked into thinking she could kick the football or something like that for a prize. He proposed. She said no. But, did she NOT want to marry him or was it that it was so public? I wouldn't want it that public. I'd like to see a follow-up on that couple to see if they ended up engaged AFTER the game.
@tyc415 (5706)
I caught a little of that on the news last night but didn't see it all so thank you for the link. I think if she really was not ready for marriage she could have and would have told him no.
@jerzgirl (8054)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Oh, absolutely, she could have. And, from all appearances, this is what she really wanted. But, I do wonder sometimes. And, it's awfully public for such an intimate moment. Yet, it's cool that he wanted to make it the ultimate surprise.