Dollar going on, travel to the States or no

@suspenseful (40326)
We were shocked when we saw, oh I was shocked hat the Canadian dollar was now down. I thought "all right I will have to have Clix-Sense open all the time and get as many links as possible because it will cost me more to exchange my Canadian dollar for US in case we go to the States later on." My husband said that the Americans will be coming up here to Canada to spend their money, but I also thought that it would not happen not with the foreclosures and job losses down there. But I was wondering with the Canadian dollar down so low, if anyone plans to go to the States or ordering from the State, will you still go ahead or will you change your mind and stay home?
@chrislotz (8207)
I am a Canadian and I love that the dollar has gone down. I get paid mostly in American dollars, on most of the sites I work on, so now when I cash it out from paypal I get more money. The last time I cashed out, I cashed out $100 American and I got $106.00 and change Canadian. Right now I have $62.00 American in my paypal account and that is worth almost $65.00 in Canadian money. So I don't really mind it, and since I am not planning to go travelling in the States any time soon, I don;t have to exchange any dollars so it doesn't affect me that way.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I am Canadian. I have US dollars in paypal. I was waiting for the Canadian dollar to drop to convert my money and make more. However, last time I checked, Paypal already shows the conversion. Are they converting it as they are getting the money? Or are they just showing what it would be if you withdrew now? I'm a little confused because I feel I'm losing instead of gaining. I would rather gain through conversion than make a trip to the States. Besides, I think I would have to go through the whole thing of getting a passport now, and for my kids. What a drag!
@suspenseful (40326)
From what I know about paypal, they make the conversion as soon as you withdraw. We already got our passports, so we have no worry in case we have to go there. I usually transfer my money into my high interest savings account as soon as I get it in the bank so I would lose if I kept it in Paypal anyway. And I do have a US bank account that I transfer money into each month. I guess when I do at the end of this month, it will not be as much as I thought.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Yes, I checked my paypal account and the total has increased since the Canadian dollar has decreased. I'll probably withdraw it soon.
@Lakota12 (42794)
never know I remember when we came to Canada we got 15 cents back on our Dollar was very surpirized for we hadnt thought of the money exchange!
@suspenseful (40326)
It is like that now. Our dollar is low, so if anyone wants to visit the States, this is a good time. The trouble is with the economy being bad down there, I doubt many will come up here. So all those businessmen here who are rubbing their hands in glee with anticipation will become sorely disappointed.
@Lakota12 (42794)
yup for really the only ones to come up there will be BIG business men on business and may not spend all that much as if it were a big family outting!
@lingli_78 (12852)
i never been to america before and i'm not planning to go in a near future as well because i just don't have the money yet to do that... i plan to travel the whole australia first as i also haven't done that either... so far, i have only been to melbourne, sydney, gold coast and brisbane... next year, i am planning to go to perth... may be when the economy is getting better and i have enough savings, then i will go to america... take care and have a nice day...
@suspenseful (40326)
We have friends who moved to Australia from Canada and I always thought of going to Australia in the terms of a luxury cruise and we could just drop over the border to the States any weekend now. It is not much of a drive to the border from Winnipeg. But now with our dollar being low, and the almost recession being down there, I will not be able to order from the States without losing money, let alone go there if I can. And they will not come up here, so everyone loses.
@LittleMel (14059)
travel, no. we have been trying to save every dime since 2006 for our anniversary and pay our loans. if I remember correctly, loonie is about the same now as last year and before that. it was always 87 - 90 US cents for a loonie. since I am selling on Ebay and mylot pays in US $ I don't mind the change. but if I am buyer I guess it's not the same feeling.
@suspenseful (40326)
We were unable to go to the States again (we went to the States when we were first married though) until we got the house paid for and that was after my husband retired. I did order stuff from Amazon.com when our dollar was high, but now I guess I will not. But I was upset when we went through the States because our dollar was high, but I did not have enough money to buy anything down there.
@dragon54u (31298)
I would spend my money here in the States, as this is my home and we need to support our businesses. This whole situation is horrible, this greed that got us here has got to stop, not only on Wall Street's part but on the people who sucked up credit to get more and more luxuries that they couldn't really afford.
@suspenseful (40326)
That is the best idea. I am Canadian but would like to buy some things from the States as with dvds, if they have a different cover here in Canada from the States, I suspect that they may have altered it for Canadian because we are supposed to not blend in not like Americans.I do not know if it is true, but it does make me suspicious. But with the dollar here being low, I am more or less stuck buying here in Canada because then with the shipping and charging, it would cost more to order from Amazon.com. I do not like the idea of the dollars going up and down, and would rather have them close to par. I was lucky that I did get the dvds before our dollar went down.
@mipen2006 (5528)
I doubt that the average American will be taking many vacations this year. I'm going to Australia for Christmas, and the Aussie dollar has suffered the same fate as the Canadian. But since I'll be trading Thai Baht, which for some strange reason has kept up with the US dollar, my position is good. Currencies that have got good resources are faring badly now because the demand has shrunk, similar to the demand and price of oil. I find it difficult to understand why the US dollar is so high. The same as the Thai Baht which is going through yet another period of political upheaval. Years ago the market wes reasonably simple and easy to follow, but now, well I for can't follow what's happening. Good luck suspensful.
@suspenseful (40326)
I liked it when the Canadian and American dollar were almost at par. Then I might lose a few cents or gain a few, but it worked well at the end. But now that with the bailout, was it so that our dollar become low. And it does no good if there is no advantage, like Americans traveling up north. At least with being near par, we all win. This way, with the economy on the slide down there, we will not get those Americans the businesses up here want.
I'm a lucky Canadian. My husband's an American, and just wrapped up a job in Arizona. As soon as he gets his money, he's on his way up here. I spent most of last year and the beginning of this year in the USA and the dollars were almost at par. Now my husband will be moving up here, and bringing his American money with him, so for us the timing is absolutely great. I have spent enough time in the USa in the past year, and I'll be happy to be at home.
@suspenseful (40326)
We cannot go because of my husband's stroke and now I discover I am pre=diabetic and I have a lump in my br*st. I sure hope it is not because my husband had a stroke, might die soon, and i could not survive after he is gone. That would be terrible! But I always wanted to see New York City, go to the Empire States Building just like in An Affair to Remember and Sleeping in Seattle. I sure hope the dollar comes to par. It is too cold in winter here in Winnipeg for my liking. I mean going south for the winter seems a good idea.