Would you let your kids play violent videogames

@arcidy (5017)
This is a popular question because of games like gta. I personally wouldnt let my kids play these type of games till they reach a certin age and if he can prove to me that he is mature enough to be able to play those types of games.
I really try not to. I think the driving games and fantasy games are ok. Not the maturely rated ones. The ones rated for everyone. I think aggression begets aggression. I notice it when my boys have watched the Power Rangers. They have a more aggressive demeanor. I try to stick with fun adventure and driving.
yeah but they are really wild after watching Power Rangers. There isn't anything wrong with play fighting, it just seems to get out of hand after they have watched something with a lot of fighting.
@Canellita (12059)
Dee you have the right idea. Keep on doing what you're doing with your boys. Not all male children are necessarily aggressive. I'm for any activity that helps kids become better at any good skill. Violent games don't encourage anything positive.
No, I would not. Don't get me wrong, I love video games and I play them myself. My daughter is grown and grew up in the Atari age; I don't really remember any kind of violent games from back then. There are plenty of games out there that are appropriate for children. The games that are glorifying violence and illegal acts are not for children. I have heard parents actually say that they didn't know what those games were about. Why? I always knew what my daughter was listening to, reading and watching. I just don't get it when parents don't even bother to know!
@Canellita (12059)
The only video games I think young kids need to play are ones that help them learn such as word and puzzle games or maybe chess and some strategy games.
@Canellita (12059)
Wow, that's a tough situation. Maybe you and your DH can find a way to compromise? Maybe he can agree to play those games when your son is asleep or away from the house. As for the early morning weekend gaming, I think if it were me there'd be a few colorful discussions. Perhaps you could get him some headphones so he doesn't disturb you?
@mscott (1925)
I won't buy my kids violent video games but I think in the big picture of things they are going to be exposed to them anyway. They see them on television, at school on kids game systems, and at other kid's houses. While I won't buy them I still need to talk with them about how these are games and why this stuff isn't real and shouldn't be done by anyone.