Frying pan on fire!!!

So this is the situation, I am cooking dinner, have my 5 year old chatting to me and the phone rings, I answer the phone nly to find its someone after money for charity (they must have heard the cooking in the background, I had all 4 hobs on!) Anyway they continue to talk to me and eventually I get rid of them, my son then starts asking about a dvd or video and with that there were flames coming out of the pan, I moved the pan away from the heat and my son said 'mummy I think you'd better sort that out first, I'll come back later!' He was so sensible, probably shocked but hey thats the way it goes. Anyway all is now fine! happy cooking :-)
@deebomb (15322)
I have gotten to the point that when even charities call I just hang up because they are so pushy and will keep after you even when you say you don't have the money. A lot of kids would get hysterical if they saw a fire. He has a pretty cool head on his shoulders to say sort this out and comes back later.
Yes bless him, I think it helped as I didn't 'freak out'! He only left me for 5 mins at the most, I did speak to him about it after and he said he was ust a little shocked and surprised. I wish I was more like you and could just hang up on people lol! Thanks for your response
@deebomb (15322)
After telling them I don't have any extra money to send them and them just keep on telling me I can give just $10.00 I have come to lose patiences with all of them. It really irritates me when they won't listen. So hanging up is the only thing left.
@dvschic (1796)
keep a box of baking SODA not powder by the stove just for this reason, its the best thing to put out grease fires.. from arm and hammer Did you know that ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda can help in the initial handling of minor grease or electrical kitchen fires? That’s because when ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda is heated, it gives off carbon dioxide, which helps to smother the flames. For small cooking fires (frying pans, broilers, ovens, grills), turn off the gas or electricity if you can safely do so. Stand back and throw handfuls of ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda at the base of the flame to help put out the fire -- and call the Fire Department just to be safe! To avoid re-ignition, do not attempt to move the item until thoroughly cooled. (Don’t use ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda in deep fat fryers; it may splatter). For small electrical fires (small appliances, heaters, outlets), unplug appliances if you can safely do so. Stand back and toss handfuls of ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda at the base of the flames to help put out the fire -- and call the Fire Department to be sure the fire’s completely out! (Here’s a hot tip! Remember never use water on an electrical fire, as shock or electrocution could result!) Make sure safety is within reach! Make your own Fire Safety Soda Box using our 1 lb. box of ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda and our specially designed Fire Safety Soda label featuring important fire safety facts.
@deebomb (15322)
since the fire was in the pan just put the lid on it to smoother it. The baking soda is good if the fire is not in a pan.
I never realised you could use baking soda to stop it, it was ok though as I just moved the pan away from the stove, thanks for your response
mychattime just grab a lid and douse the flames in the frying pan, its just that simple. just whack that lid down ontop the flames, no air, the fire goes out. dont toss baking soda or water on it as they will pop up and burn you. just put a lid down hard and the fire is out at once.
Thanks, I would never put water onto it as I know that would make it worse. Thanks for you advice :-)