The first gentleman would like to schedule a meeting with her boss?

@spalladino (17929)
Would this be a tag team Vice Presidency with a built in lobbyist? According to the article below, which I've only included part of here, Todd Palin was more involved in state business than perhaps he should have been. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-todd12-2008oct12,0,1274033.story Barely two weeks after Sarah Palin had been sworn in as Alaska's governor, in December 2006, then-Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's executive secretary got a confusing phone call from Palin's office: The first gentleman would like to schedule a meeting with her boss. "I was not familiar with the term 'first gentleman,' or didn't hear her correctly, so I kept asking her, 'Who?' " the secretary, Cassandra Byrne, testified recently. "And she eventually said, 'Todd Palin.' " The appointment was fixed, and Monegan arrived in the governor's office to find himself alone with the brawny, popular fisherman and snowmobile champion, who was sitting at a 12-foot-long conference table, surrounded by stacks of documents. One of the documents had the logo and letterhead of Monegan's own Department of Public Safety. The subject, it turned out, was Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a messy divorce with the governor's sister. The Palins, Todd made clear, wanted Wooten fired for a long record of behavior they saw as inappropriate for a police officer. "He kept using the term 'we.' 'We went to go talk to, we, we.' And so I assumed it was he and Sarah, of course," Monegan testified. The meeting "made me a little uncomfortable," he said. "We're having it in the governor's office, and he's not the governor. I think he was trying to use state trappings to handle a personal issue." Todd Palin would become a familiar voice for the Palin administration. Independent legislative investigator Stephen Branchflower's report on Monegan's subsequent firing -- in part, the investigation found, because he wouldn't fire Wooten -- contains an exhaustive record of Todd Palin's frequent and intimate presence in the day-to-day workings of his wife's administration. Testimony compiled as part of the inquiry, and The Times' own review of e-mail logs from the administration, show that Todd Palin was a fixture in the governor's office, spending about half of his time there. He attended Cabinet meetings that are supposed to be closed to the public, and was copied on a wide variety of high-level government correspondence on issues such as contract negotiations with the police officers union, Alaska Native issues and the privatization of a dairy near the Palins' hometown of Wasilla.
I read the full Branchflower report and two things struck me strongly - one was a staffer commenting that Todd Palin spent more than 50% of his time in the governor's office. The other was a comment from another staffer that whenever he needed to speak to the governor, he called Todd because she was never available.
@ZephyrSun (7399)
I am actually really surprised that everyone is trying to compare this to the Clintons. I don't remember Hillary every harassing the cabinet members and trying to fire people. I could be wrong because I was in my late teens when Clinton was elected the first time but, if she was why wasn't it brought up in the primaries?
@twoey68 (13662)
Actually, this doesn't surprise me...what surprises me is that their making a big deal out of it. As I recall, and as it's mentioned in the article, Hillary was deeply involved in alot of the Presidential buisness when Clinton was in office...in fact there was alot of times that it seemed more like she was in charge than he was. It stands to reason that when a person, man or woman, is in office their spouse is going to have some involvement...after all they'd have to be deaf and blind not to see or hear things. Also most every married couple regardless of their occupation, tend to share information about their work. I don't think that spouses should be in on making important decisions since that is the job of the one that is actually elected into that position. As for him being involved in the VP business if McCain/Palin get in...I think there will be alot more restrictions on what he will be included in on...afterall there is a big difference between Governor and Vice President. [b]~~IN SEARCH OF PEACE WITHIN~~ **AGAINST THE STORMS, I WILL STAND STRONG** [/b]