Where do you stand on used gifts?

@wiccania (3360)
Christmas is going to be tight for everyone. My mom's stressing because she's got 4 children and 6 grandchildren to think of (not to mention in-laws and the like). She knows that I don't expect anything, and I told her recently that if she finds something at a garage sale or store that sells used items that she thinks my son would like, whether it be toys, books or clothes to feel free. He doesn't care if the gifts he receives are used, they're new to him and that's what matters. I know some people think that it's in poor taste. Personally I think that if he's going to wear it out, tear it up or break it (as kids are often prone to do), why spend a fortune on new? If it's something he truly loves, the used one will suffice until I can replace it with a new/newer one. Where do you stand on the subject?
@kedves (728)
i think you are absolutely correct and i admirer your thought. i wish more people would consider the excess they spend at Christmas. after all its a time for rejoicing and being with loved ones and yes the saying is true, its the THOUGHT that counts NOT the price tag. i commend you for being true to Christmas and fighting off materialistic tendencies. how many times do you see young kids playing with the empty box instead of the toy ? kids do not care the price of something all they are happy is that you gave them something.
I think that most kids are going to be thrilled to open their presents, regardless of whether their gifts are new or gently used. I know that when I was growing up, I wouldn't have cared one way or another. Even my sister, who can afford to buy all new toys, buys a lot of garage sale toys for my nephew. He's still young enough to not really know the difference, I think, but he's happy even when his toys are missing a piece or two. :) This year, I'm making the gifts for my niece, nephew, and my cousin's kids. I know that the young three (all under 4) will love what I've made them, and I'm hoping that the 8 year old will also appreciate his gift. I've made him Christmas presents before, but as he gets older I worry about that.
@applefreak (3131)
well i certainly wouldn't receiving a used gift. i buy second hand stuff all the time. in fact, there are things that i prefer used than new. some of the new things i've bought are still in it's original packaging because i couldn't bear to open it. so as long as the item is in good and usable condition, i'd love it. better that than get something that is new but not as useful to me. cheers
@thedaddym (1737)
With all of the struggling that everyone is having to do these days, I think it is fine as long as the person has stated it is fine with them to get something used. I know some people that would be offended by this, especially if they typically spend a lot of money on a gift for you, and you give them something used in return. I think it kind of has to be expected if it is going to be used. But if you discuss it ahead of time, I think it is fine. I told my family to shop at thrift stores for my kids last year, sayting they would not really care and neither would my kids.
@EAStanley (2689)
I think it's a great idea. I don't think it's in poor taste at all. With money tight for everybody, I think that it's probably a necessity. I like the idea a lot!
@jfeets726 (775)
I don't mind getting secondhand gifts, but I honestly do not know if I would give them. The only exception would be my 4 year old daughter. I have purhcased a number of Barbies and other similar dolls. I would like to buy her a doll house for either Christmas or her birthday (which is in Jan), but they are very costly for barbie sized dolls. It is almost $100 (which I just cannot afford right now). We are debating between buying used and having her father make her one that we could all decorate together.
@xParanoiax (6999)
Heck, it's a rare day that something we give to eachother is truly new. In fact, while we don't really fuss about who spends how much money on what (a gift's a gift!)...with certain members of my family, arguments will break out over spending TOO MUCH!
My children would almost rather have second hand stuff...lol. When we were experiencing real tough financial times a couple years back it was important to me to show my kids that there are still ways to buy things and have fun without spending lots of money. For a long time, we went to second hand stores every payday. Granted it to my oldest daughter a while to get used to the idea but now that money is not so tight she would still rather go to the second hand stores. There have been times when we have been at department stores and I would stumble upon a sweater or something that she would like and she would say I bet "Sally's" has one like it for less than half that price lol. For my two youngest children, holidays/birthdays are still very much about quantity rather than quality. Nothing is better to them than getting up on Christmas and seeing gifts packed under the tree and knowing it's for them. Just last night, I visited a huge discount store in our area. I got 4 educational computer games and 10 books for $16.84. You can't beat it!!
I would be just fine if people bought used things for my kids. But I wouldnt do it for someone elses kids. My inlaws think I am weird for buying a lot of our studd second hand. I think that it is the better thing to do all the way around, even if you dont take the savings into consideration. They think it is dirty and cheap. It is a tough call. If I am struggling to get a christmas gift I usualy make a gift instead. I wish I didnt care what my inlaws think about things.
@cher913 (25891)
i dont care to be honest. i buy stuff at garage sales and thrift stores and use it for christmas and sometimes i luck out and get stuff that is new and still in the package! it is a tough year for us financially so any little corner that i can cut will defintely help us in the long run!!!
@cutepenguin (6457)
I don't really have a stand on the subject. To be honest, a gift is a gift - there shouldn't really be requirements on it. And a child will enjoy a toy or a book regardless.
I don't have an issue with used gifts. I think as long as the gift looks new and it's not obviously that worn, what's the big deal. Objects don't have to be brand new or expensive to be new to someone else. Not to mention, you're doing good, you're not buying a new object, you're not feeding into global consumerism and you're helping recycle. There is nothing wrong with that.
@peavey (16600)
I don't see a thing wrong with giving used gifts. When my kids were young, we bought used gifts for them many times. My daughters even now wouldn't mind, but my son is kind of high and mighty sometimes, so I wouldn't do that for him any more! LOL As for myself, I wouldn't mind receiving a used gift if it was something I wanted or needed. I buy second hand for myself so why shouldn't someone else? It's a common sense way to save money. I hope your mom can find inexpensive gifts for all. Stressing about the cost is no way to celebrate a holiday for anyone.
@sunshine4 (8709)
I think that this is a great idea. Also if you have a freecycle in your area, you may be able to get some gifts that way. I just gave away a ton of stuff that was practically new. I put it all on freecycle in hopes that someone in my area could use it. I had people coming to my house all weekend. After all, it is the thought that counts. If your mom is stretched for gifts for the grandchildren, she can also go to the dollar store. They have tons of stuff there around Christmas. My daughter is thrilled with stuff from there. She even got a giftcard from there last year for $5 and thought it was the best gift ever!
@eaforeman6 (8983)
It sounds great. Theres still time to order freebies for kids. There are many activity books, coloring books, caps, t shirts, and books. If you order them now, they willlget there in time for Christmas! I am doing it because I have 5 grand children.