cats doing things in inappropriate places - a solution that worked for me

@dawnald (84146)
Shingle Springs, California
I don't think I wrote about this here on MyLot before, but I have elsewhere. If I did here already, sorry, the memory isn't what it used to be and I don't have the patience to go back through all my old discussions and see. But I digress.... We had a peeing problem. We moved and maybe a year afterward one of the cats started peeing on the leather loveseat. No idea why there or why at that time, it just started. We didn't know which cat it was. We tried everything. Ultimately we covered the two remaining pieces (chair and sofa) with heavy duty plastic covers, tossed the loveseat and put another litter box down in the laundry area. We thought we had licked the problem. About a year later we introduced another cat into the house, an unneutered male. Until we got him fixed there was male cat smell in the house and our other two cats got stressed. Whichever cat it was went back to the same place, now it was the chair, and started peeing. Fortunately we had the plastic covers so the chair wasn't ruined, but still we had the smell and the problem to deal with. The pet store recommended pheromones. Actually we tried several things: 1. to clean up thoroughly 2. to use pheromones to calm the cat down 3. to use 'keep off' type chemicals 4. to put down yet another litter box Darn stubborn cat kept coming back. So I did some online checking on the website where I had gotten the stuff that I used to remove the smell. Bingo, an electronic device that produces a high pitched sound that cats don't like. So I ordered one along with an adaptor (so that I wouldn't have to be constantly changing batteries). Problem solved, finally. Hooray. Not sure which cat was the culprit to this day but I do know that the problem hasn't recurred. The cat didn't like the sound and the cat didn't go back. If you have a problem like this and you are at your wits end, check out a website called planeturine (www.planeturine.com).
@sudalunts (5526)
Thanks for the information. I have a female cat who was introduced to our male kitten when she was four years old. They have never gotten along, but basically tolerate each other. My male cat has a great personality, my female cat is very moody. We moved to a new apartment about six years ago, and my female cat started peeing on the rug in the living room. My husband eventually took the rug up and we replaced it and she stopped. Now she is doing number two on the rug. I have done everything to alter the scent, we have scrubbed and scrubbed, I have tried putting down baking soda, and she still does it at times. We have changed the liter box, and my husband cleans it everyday, but if my male cat has used it, she will not go. I will definitely check out planeturine, thanks again.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
You're welcome and I really hope that it helps!
@Loverbear (4928)
I don't know if you've tried Nature's Miracle on the areas that the cat has pooped, but the stuff does a wonderful job! I had the problem with spraying until I got the two new little boys neutered and I used the stuff and I don't have the house smelling like a litter box. It comes in several sizes and until you get the gadget from planeturine it will help cut the smell.
@Loverbear (4928)
I forgot to add that you may have to have a his and hers litter box for the pair. It does sometimes happen when cats don't get along. Of course I have had cats that don't get along pee on each other so it made the second litter box moot! (LOL)
@sedel1027 (17854)
Could you use that device with other animals in the home? I would think that it would be pure torture to the animals since the sound would probably go much further than just a small area.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
They have to actually cross an infrared beam to trigger the sound so they only hear it if they go into that room and trigger the beam. We actually have a cat, Oreo, who isn't bothered by it (he's the new cat we introduced). He'll walk right in there and get up on the sofa or whatever and not even notice it. But then the vacuum cleaner doesn't bother him either.