gender equality

@raclie (1732)
Singapore
is there such a thing as gender equality? why do most people, females especially, think that gender equality is such a desired state? how do you defind gender equality? if we DO have gender equality, do you think women will still expect men to open doors for them? and bar fights, are women spared from them if we do acheive gender equality? and if we dont acheive gender equality, will it be a good or bad thing?
If a man and woman do the same job, it would make sense to me that that they get paid the same amount of money. That would be one form of gender equality. Do we have that now? In some places, yes. In others, no. Women want gender equality because they do not feel they should be treated as less. We are not the same. We are different, but that does not mean we are not of equal value. I don't think it needs to be defended. I makes sense that we are all of equal value...at least in the American civilization. I think men should open door for women as a courtesy. I do it for both genders. I am woman. Women are not spared violence in any fight just because she is a woman. Women are killed in bars, homes, parks---everywhere, by men. I don't think we will ever have true gender equality in all areas of life, and that is not good.
Why is it a courtesy for men to open doors for women? I find that incredibly patronizing. Same goes for pulling my chair out, and calling me thinks like dear, darling, honey, whatever.
I did not say anything about being called honey or dear by men other than my husband. Nor did I say anything about a man pulling out my chair. However, holding doors is different. For example, the opposite is to have it slammed in your face. I have it held open for me, and I have slammed in my face. Having it held open for me just feels better. If you prefer the opposite, go for it! :)
@Mitraa (3188)
In my opinion it is not equality, rather rationality. We can never make two inequal things equal. There may be equality in some aspect of performances but the inequality factor in two genders is designed by Nature and we all must have to admit it! Thanks for this nice discussion!
To me I don't want equality in all aspects, but the most important thing is that I want male to respect female. Nowadays even though it is modern and all but I can still see everywhere that male are not respecting female as they should be. Their mother, sister and grandmother are female so why must they disrespect them? For example when a man sees a pregnant woman in the train and the man is sitting. Here in my country it is rare that the man will get up and give the seat to the woman. And about the issue of involving women in a bar fight, I don't agree at all because the men are supposed to protect the women and not to expose them into danger like bar fights and all. So as a conclusion, in my opinion gender equality does not mean the women must carry all the burden that men carry but men must start to learn to respect women because women are weak and should be protected and loved, not to be hurt and bullied.
I don't like men holding doors open for me even now. Why should someone treat me differently just because I'm a woman? Were I to get into a fight I would know how to defend myself. It's happened, and I've won. I think that people need to just be people, and quit worrying about gender so much. It's not a big deal at all.