Understanding the US Constitution

@bobmnu (8160)
It seems that Gov. Palin knows the US Constitution better than Senator Biden when she had to explain that the duties of the VP were in Article I of the Constitution and not Article II. Now we see that Senator McCain having to explain to Senator Obama that the role of the President is to appoint Federal Judges including Supreme Court Justices and the role of the Senate is to make sure they are qualified for the position and not to approve or deny based upon their Judaical philosophy. The President appoints so that the will of the people is represented on the court. Senator Obama seemed to feel that it was his duty to only approve judges who believed in what he believed in. Do we want to elect people who do not understand the the very principals of our country and the document that our laws are based on.
@ClarusVisum (2163)
Biden mixed up two of the articles, but he got the details right. On the other hand, Palin, just a month before being chosen as McCain's VP pick, was asking in an interview "what exactly is it that a VP does every day?" There's really no comparison on this front. You'd have to be extremely gullible or dishonest to claim Palin is more knowledgable than Biden on this front. "Senator Obama seemed to feel that it was his duty to only approve judges who believed in what he believed in." Really? I quote from McCain during the final debate: "I believe strongly that we should have nominees to the United States Supreme Court based on their qualifications rather than any litmus test." Just a few minutes later: "I do not believe that someone who has supported Roe v. Wade -- that would be a part of those qualifications." In other words, McCain says: no litmus test based on Roe vs. Wade, just based on qualifications...oh, by the way, if you support Roe v. Wade, you don't meet the qualifications. Perhaps a bit (read: a LOT) of projection on your part? "Do we want to elect people who do not understand the the very principals of our country and the document that our laws are based on." Of course not. That's why I'm voting for Barack Obama.
@bobmnu (8160)
Senator Biden stated in the debate that the only time the VP can oversee the Senate is when there is a tie vote the Constitution simply states that "The Vice President of the United States shall be president of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided." This does not sound like he can only be there in a tie vote. In your other comment about Senator McCain I saw it as he would appoint strict constitutional judges and that anyone who was an activist judge, making new law with their decisions, would not be considered. Roe vs Wade was an example of judicial activism.
"Roe vs Wade was an example of judicial activism." Okay, now I know you're too kooky to reason with. Good night, and good luck.
Clivus, McCain said that he thought Roe v Wade was bad law. Why would he appoint a Judge that supports bad law? And Roe v wade IS bad law. But you will go Absolutely NoWheRe in the Democrat party if you don't support it.
@spalladino (17925)
No, bob, I'd much rather elect the unethical power abusing tag team of SarahTodd Palin ("we're very close") so we can listen to hockey mom and Joe Six Pack comments for the next four years while Todd chairs cabinet meetings and we watch teenage girls get pregnant.
@piasabird (1737)
You want to watch teenage girls get pregnant? That is disturbing.
It's called sarcasm, piasabird.
@spalladino (17925)
LMAO Piasabird!! Guess I could have worded that line differently...but then I wouldn't have had such a great laugh as the end of a really boring workday draws to a close.
I only wish that McCain had told the American People that there are 38 qualified Federal Judges right now that the Democrats refuse to give an up or down vote. Because you know that Katie Couric isn't going to tell them.
@Destiny007 (5820)
No we don't... that is the reason we now have socialism in our country. It isn't just the president... it should be for every elected official. They do after all, swear to uphold the Constitution.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
As long as people aren't being taught the constitution and proper function of state and federal governments, we will continue to elect leaders with equal lack of understanding. this is far more frightening to me than most issues surrounding this election. We are about 50 years away from living in a western image of Europe.