are we filipinos by nature --- copycats?

@kens425 (436)
Spain
I can't help but notice tv game shows and reality shows (not all) that are totally imitated or franchised from games abroad, or soap operas that are translated to filipino, and they sell well, but if it is an original filipino concept(not all) it takes time or it might not even get the attention of most viewers. Does this mean that we are "second rate trying hard copy cats". (Except of course the original concept of Singing Bee- i like its unique concept
@owelm0408 (1012)
Not only Filipinos made franchised of some foreign shows, even other countries as well.But then i noticed that too.So, we are not alone to be "copy cats".But for whatever reason, it's still copied.heheehe I love watching "Singing bee".I didn't know that it is not copied from somewhere.I'm happy and proud to hear that.That means we still have our originality.Isn't it??
@ayenacsi (911)
Sorry to disappoint... but Singing Bee is not an original Filipino production. It is a franchise from an original show from NBC with Joey Fatone as host. It aired on July-December 2007. Australia also has its own version.
@kens425 (436)
• Spain
oh i stand corrected, i did'nt know that, but i do love the concept
@owelm0408 (1012)
wooohh?we are indeed to be a bunch of copycats
@mjmlagat (3171)
Well, I just hate to agree with you but I do. I just can't comprehend why are they doing it when it has been known that Filipinos are extremely talented individuals?! They should've innovatged something more unique than being copycats.
@kens425 (436)
• Spain
amen to that mjmlagat
@super_jj (1417)
Well, i dont really watch showas in local channels. But i'd have to agree with you on that. I hear about certain shows on abs-cbn or gma that are franchises of foreign shows. Maybe instead of focusing their energy on acquiring rights for foreign shows, these channels could try to make something original. Cant blame them, though. There are hundreds of channels on cable and most of them have numerous shows. You name it, they've got a show for that. Sheesh. People's appetite for entertainment is very hard to satisfy.
Not in general i guess, maybe in some areas, but in entertainment i can say yes, i don't know if this is their strategy to gain high ratings, or they just run out of new concepts and ideas. This is not good, its seems that were losing our identity as a Pilipino.
@kissie34 (2296)
Yes, your right! It seems that we don't have originality.. Many of our products and most especially TV shows are coming from other country.. We are getting their ideas and then we just make some paraphrase or add/delete something then that is.. I sometimes thinking that Filipinos don't have originality.. Don't appreciate on their own creativity or works, they just keep on copying from others... Filipinos never learn even though there so many comments given by the other country (bad comments) still they show that they love copying ideas or wants to imitated the ideas of others..And it is very shameful for us.. I just hope the movie industry and the government do something about it for the pride of our country and not just by earning money and popularity..
Filipinos are generally not copycats! In the first place, we have produced a great deal of movies which are considered to be world class. The like of the masterpiece of Lino Brocka and even FPJ movies are doing some great quality which is only inherent to a Filipino movie. Now going back to the question of whether Filipinos are copycats, perhaps, it is not so. The thing is we need to market a certain show immediately and capture the masses. In order to do that, we must first make it to the point that this is world class. there is no other way of doing so than to get the franchise of those syndicated game shows (Big Brother of Endemol, American Idol, Survivor, etc.) in order to capture the masses immediately. The masses also have that craving of quality show and watching so considering that this kind of format is also watched in some other countries, they are elevating themselves. For this reason, it is always the market that has been considered. Their needs and wants are always on the agenda of show conceptualizers. Even their opinions matter especially witht those who will win. WHile it would be a herculean task to make an original concept, getting franchise is better and not only that with its name wildly circulated, it can always get the attention of the viewers.
@kens425 (436)
• Spain
Very technical and well said, thats very true too, i believe you belong to the broadcasting business hence you know very well your market, (clap clap) its good to learn from you.. as a viewer who wants the filipino race to make more marks in the world i prefer it to be original concept, but of course people in the business would prefer more money.. it would be very hard to bridge our differences.. i do appreciate you expressing your side. i do understand how you feel also but thats the way it is, we can't please everybody you know and certainly nobodys perfect. have a nice day
Thanks for appreciating my reply. But I am still very optimistic that those home grown creativity will find its way on our boob tubes.
@ayenacsi (911)
Original concepts are a big gamble, maybe that's why there seems to be an increase in these shows. It can also be noted that these are the shows that sell. There also seems to be a trending in the local tv scene, now I guess is the trend of reality shows, game shows from among a few. Have sent a friend invite... hope you'll accept !
@xtedaxcvg (3191)
Now that you mentioned it, it does seem like we copy almost all things we see. TV shows, music, literary pieces, you name it we have a copy of it. I really don't have any idea why this is happening but I do know that we still have a tinge of originality in our system. It's just that we're better copycats than anyone else.. :D
@kens425 (436)
• Spain
Well we have our own originality in many ways, i do acknowledge that, i am a filipino too and i'm proud of that, i only want to wake things up, maybe-just maybe it could help in the development of our race and country. Japan for example is a very small but wealthy country. They have originality and not to mention their stand on promoting nationalism, and they make a big mark to the world, we can too if we start our own mark too, good day :)