At what age did you learn to read?

My mom taught me to read when I was 4 Years old. I turned 4 in August and started Kindergarten in Sept of the same year. In sixth grade I was tested at a 12th grade reading level. I am not bragging since I really can't take credit for this. In fact my reading level probably isn't as high today as it was then.(TV) But I Taught 4 Y.O.'s in Sunday School for about 7 years and I was rather surprised that most of the kids could not read yet. How old were you when you learned to read?
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
I'm told by my mom that I taught myself to read when I was 4.
@bunnybon7 (31651)
• Holiday, Florida
gee. i was 7yrs and i thought that was something to brag about. no i dont mean the "see the dog run" kind of thing either. i could read that a 4yrs, but i mean detective books and romance stuff. my mom used to read so much. these mags were all over the house. but she had told me they were for adults and i didnt need to be looking at them and that just made me be reading them when i could sneak and do it. think its the best way to get a kid to do anything is tell them they cant
@cripfemme (7719)
I learned to read at about 4, too. I memorized entire kids books before then. I didn't love reading until I was in the 4th grade. I had a wonderful teacher then and have been an avid reader since.
@k4karthik (439)
I learned to read when i was five years old. I directly joined first standard. I mean to say i haven't gone to lkg classes. I joined regional school. In the school i started learning to read. I think i started reading properly when i was 14. Because till that time i was not able to read difficult words.
My parents have always told me that when I was two years old, I noticed a stop sign and said, "S-T-O-P, Stop!" My mom's friends thought I was some sort of genius after that.
@balasri (26577)
I was taught the alphabets by my mother when I was four years old.I think that I was able to read after I started going to school at the age of five.It would have taken another couple of years after that to become fluent in reading naturally.
@greenline (14865)
Yes, same as you. I started reading at the age of 4. That was when I got into kindergarten. I still remember my teacher so kind and patient teaching me the alphabets. But I don't think I did very well till after about another year !
@buenavida (7521)
• Sweden
It must have been when I started school at age 7. Until that I had a grandmother who read to me - fairy tales that sometimes took hours - and I am grateful for that. I might have learned to read earlier but I guess nobody thought of teaching me, they probably left the job to the school..
@jonesy123 (3950)
Due to that I was born after the cut off for school, I didn't start school until I was seven (where I come from we started with First Grade, not Kindergarten). So I was seven. I probably would have been good at it earlier but had nobody to really teach me. Since then I have always been an avid reader and it does rub off on the kids. My girls learned when they were five, in Kindergarten. Some parents push it and there is a move to bring reading basics into pre-school. That would make it age 4. But most really can't read that much at that age. My second girl is in Kindergarten right now and it was only two months ago that it started to make sense to her. It's still really slow though but by now she is reading at mid first grade level. My oldest is in second grade and reads at fifth grade level, but there are also kids in her class who barely make the cut for second grade. I think it's partly the parents fault. If reading isn't stressed at home, kids won't necessarily do it. They rather watch TV and play on the computer, Wii, whatever rather than read a good book. However, I have hardly seen a four year old who can really read yet. It's just not taught here. My kids could recognize a few words at that age, that's it.
@don_naces (464)
Wow! That's amazing! I cannot remember the age when I knew how to read. Perhaps when I was on my first grade. My exposure to reading materials is very poor and no one taught me how to read before grade one.
@arkaf61 (10891)
I kind of thaught myself to read at around the same age as you because I found out my mom was cheating when reading my books LOL She tended to skip whole paragraphs! I started with a wonderful book : Alice in wonderland. My edition was perfect for learning because it had two pages of writing and then one with the comic strip summarizing those two pages, the whole book was like that and it helped me learn. Of course when mom realized I was doing it, she helped too and I was reading simple things in no time:) From them on I developed this love for reading and today it's still one of my favorite things to do.