For the sake of your children and your animals as well as yourself and your

@writersedge (22579)
water supply, please do not use chemical weed killers and chemical insecticides. Too many people have had sick children and animals because of them. I know of one person who even had a goat who died from chemicals the neighbors put on their lawns. So please use natural insecticides and either pull the weeds out or learn to love them. But be careful, pulling out poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac is asking for trouble if you use your bare hands. So what do you use to get rid of insects and weeds in your garden or on your lawn that is natural? Grasshoppers, I caught a bunch of them. They hop right into bags, keeping them in is the problem, esp. if you open a bag with three in to let another one in, usually one jumps out. Slugs, egg shells surrounding my garden to keep slugs out didn't discourage the big ones, beer in a partially submerged can worked at first, but now I have tea-toatlers left, maybe kool-aid next time? Collected some when I saw them. Moles, showed my cat and he got most of them. Gypsy moth cocoons, I scrape off trees in February up here. The snow puts me up higher. They look like a metallic scab in winter. Either silvery or golden and I scrape them off. Lowered our gypsy moth population quite a bit. Have you known anyone whose children or animals have gotten sick from chemical weed killers or pesticides? Fjarel said I should start this discussion. It's a spin-off of his commercials that we hate. I hate the ones for weed killer. Especially since I eat weeds. You're killing a food source! Dandelions saved people during a drought when they couldn't grow anything else. They would have died if they had eliminated dandelions, but all the commercials start with people trying to eliminate dandelions from their lawn. There have been save the dandelion societies in the past to re-educate people. Dandelion flowers make fritters and wine (probably could make a good juice for those of us that don't drink alcohol, I do the fritters-just make sure you pick above the milky part or just take a few petals and throw them in pancake batter like I do.). Leaves, extremely young, like less than an inch are good to add in salads, bigger has to be emersed in boiling water and boiled three times to get a good cooked green (I don't eat cooked greens, but I do eat salads). Roots can be dried and roasted for a coffee or tealike drink. Seeds can be used to grow them indoors. Do you know that the U.S. has dandelion greens in many stores in the spring and that dandelion greens are inported and exported all over the world? Don't polute those pretty, but stinky flowers. You may need to eat them and the rest of the weeds on your lawn some day. Sorry to go on and on. But those hebicide commercials get me wired.
@carmelanirel (20979)
whew, letting off a little steam there are we?? I know what you mean, 3-4 times a year I sit here a cringe as my neighbor sprays who knows what all over their yard..Which is why when I gather, I go completely on the other side of the house. I even went over there one time to ask if this guy was doing any spraying towards the back because that is when I planted my hedges and I didn't want him killing them off..(as you can tell, the hedges are close enough to the property line, hence I want to "cover" and hide from this neighbor)
@writersedge (22579)
Sorry, when I get on a roll, I get on a roll. What are the laws in your area? Some places the neighbors must give everyone within a certain radious of their property notice, 24 hours, 48 or whatever before they spray and give a list of ingredients as to what is being sprayed. In other places they don't. I was telling Fjarel that a woman was really upset. She was at PetSmart. Her neighbor had a company come and spray all over. She didn't know (she was at work when the woman did this and so was her husband). Her dog and cat were very ill and the vet said tox tests came back chemical herbicide toxins. She contacted her neighbors and the one who wouldn't answer her had the company come. Another neighbor told her about it. So she called the company. They were angry. They had made her sign a contract saying that all neighbors were to be warned in advance and not to be outdoors for 72 hours after the spray and to give the breakdown of ingredients to the neighbors. She was in violation of the contract with them. She wouldn't talk to them or pay for the vet bills that were over a thousand dollars either. What if she had had children that went out to play in the back yard?
I don't know the laws in this area, I guess I should check that out, I didn't know that sometimes people have to give notice first.. Though my son never goes over there to play and my dog, I am trying to train her not to go over there, but their dog barks at mine and I don't know if it is for mine to come and play or if their dog just likes to bark at anything that moves..(Before we got our dog, their dog would bark at us whenever we went outside, and she still crosses our yard to go into the neighbors yard on the other side)
Oh, and no need to apologize, you are correct in telling people they should be careful what they put down..
@whittby (3073)
Although I don't approve of insecticides, I do have a company come over here every other month and spray. They use a "natural" spray that supposedly is safe around us and our dog. It's one of those long term acting ones that kills the bugs gradually, not on contact. Since we have a mega roach problem in this city, I don't see an alternative at this point. Between having bark scorpions, roaches and brown recluse and black widows around here, I just don't want to be around those little buggers. Don't think I haven't tried boric acid and some other natural remedies first though.
@writersedge (22579)
The brown recluse, I've heard their bite is like flesh eating disease. Bark scorpions I known nothing about. Roaches, I've heard of. Black widows, a nice California Grape company sent some up here in our grapes. So saw one up close and personal in my grapes once. When I was in Arkansas, I saw chiggers and torantulas. They taught us about the second one, but didn't say much about the first one. If it's supposed to be natural and supposed to be safe, then I guess that's ok, I get more upset with herbicides anyway. This everyone has to have a grass lawn brainwashing, crazy. Thanks and take care.