Cooking with kids .... Safety tips

mom and girl - mom and daughter cooking in cartoon format
@ebsharer (5518)
I came across this artical and thought I should share it. A lot of it is obvious things but at the same time some times we lax what should be done because we have that "oh she/he can do it" when really they can't or shouldn't. Anyway here is the link ... http://www.responsivehealth.com/Children-Nutrition/Safety-Tips-for-Cooking-with-Children.aspx Heres what it says ... [i]Prevent food poisoning by: always washing hands before cooking. not eating raw eggs or raw meats. waiting until the food is cooked before sampling it. Do not sample uncooked foods. Have children stand at the level of the activity. Use a stool if necessary. Use cooking supplies that will not break (such as plastic measuring cups and stainless-steel bowls). Use plastic knives or butter knives for cutting. Provide constant supervision. Always watch children when they use knives, mixers, or the stove. Supervise the use of ovens, stoves, and other kitchen appliances. Remind children that stoves, ovens, pans, and dishes can be very hot.[/i] Do you follow all these rules??? Do you even cook with your child??? My daughter is still too young to really cook with me but I do let her pour stuff into bolws for me or she gets things for me. She loves to bring mommmy stuff. She knows what each of the spices are (by lid color) they are at her eye level in the pantry. I will say get mommy the garlic powder with the green lid. I purposaly keep certain spices in front so she can easy acess them. What about you how does your child help and are you really safe about it?!
@redkathy (3375)
Great parenting ideas! These are things that kids never forget, trust me. You can ask my boys the fun we used to have in the kitchen. More cleaning than cooking, bubbles in the sink on the counter and in the hair sort of fun LOL, but none the less fun.
@ebsharer (5518)
I remember oh SOOO well! If it wasn't for you and Gammy I wouldn't know how to cook because well we know my mom doesn't - she can she just doesn't. I loved all the talks we had sitting at the kitchen counter while dinner was cooking. I know I didn't show it then but later I realized how much they ment - thank you.
@redkathy (3375)
No thanks required, it was well worth it! ♥
@jands1 (835)
When my son was little, we cooked. My kitchen was open to him to "help" at any time a responsible adult was in there. Because he actually listened and enjoyed it so much, he was even able to "help" me with my fruit preserve making. He started cooking with me when he was, well, let me see...nearly two. Started him off with pretty much what you do with your daughter. I think children cooking with an adult is a no definite age rule area, just more of knowing your child and figuring their capacity to understand, listen and follow instructions. My son is fifteen now. Nearly a man. Taller than most men. I miss the little rubber footed step stool in front of me, as I embraced him from behind, "helping" him stir something or check something via scent first. I don't begrudge him growing up. This means I have done my job. But just once in awhile, perhaps a Yule Wish, he was a wee one again, and we were snuggled close stirring my latest creation.
@ebsharer (5518)
He can still help you cook!
My 8 year old daughter LOVES to help me cook and has been helping for as long as I remember. Yes, we follow all of the safety tips and are always very careful when using food processors, mixers, sharp tools, etc. She does not feel comfortable puttin things into or taking them out of he oven as yet, but she can do most of the prep work herself. Last year I got a pair of very good knives for my birthday. Of course, she wanted to use one. I was very wary at first, but she handles it like a pro. She will cut celery, carrots, peppers, but doesn't like to chop onions. We've discussed things like e-coli and salmonella so I make sure she washes up properly. She also knows not to taste foods such as cake batter or cookie dough due to the raw eggs in the recipes. Have you ever watched a show called "Good Eats" on the Food Channel? The topic of last night's show was cooking with children. There was a cooking with kids expert on and then the show's star cooked a few dishes with his nephew. It was very informative and went over many of the safety tips you listed. It sounds like you have a little chef on your hands and you've found some great ways to teach and reinforce things like colors. We have been working on measurements in the kitchen which will help my daughter with her math. Enjoy these special times with your little girl. They are so precious!!
@ebsharer (5518)
There are so many ways to teach you child things. I wish more parents were like us and took the time to do it! This world would be a better place.