What makes you stay with your Job?

I have been with my current company for seven years now. I have always wanted to try to work for a different company since this is my first job. I have been so comfortable and so secure with my job. But sometimes I wonder If a different work place or interacting with different peolple would benefit me. I am tired of the crab mentality, gossip mongers and power tripers but I know it's hard to start all over again. Sometimes I ask myself which is more important. Money over happiness? Off course happiness is more important. But i need the money. When I was younger I was more willing to take risk. What do you think?
@aseretdd (13709)
I had the same experience with my previous jobs... the first one i stayed there for seven years... i wanted to quit earlier but i always said to myself that it is difficult not to have a job... and i left because i had the opportunity to work abroad... but when my contract expired... i opted not to renew it because i wanted to have a baby... Right now... i have been in my job for almost 16 months... and i kinda like it... since my boss is in Manila... and i am the only one in the office... well someone is here with me but he is more of the maintenance guy... i have flexible hours... and the office is very near my apartment... There are time when i wanted to quit because i feel so stagnant here... but there is a promise coming from the niece of my boss that thing will change in the future... and i just need to be patient... so that is what i am doing now...
Sometimes stagnant and stable is good. Sometimes the only biggest problem that you have is to face is boredom. thanks for the response
Seven years? Wow! That's amazing! Anyway, I've been employed by the firm for a little less than a year (November 5th will mark my first anniversary with the firm) and I'd say that, though I don't have well thought-out plans of leaving, I think I very much understand the feeling of wanting to explore new horizons. I wouldn't really mind staying with my job as it is relatively well-paying, in spite of unpaid over times and other demands on my personal time but, well, if I'd find a job that's less demanding, I'd seriously consider living. Like you, it's a choice between happiness (in my case, finding time for myself) and money and, well, I think that I could manage with a lower salary minus the stress.
Thanks for the response. I never thought that I would last this long. Always told myself that after next year i'll try to find a new job. Before I know it, I have already been in service with the company this long. A good pay is a big factor in deciding to stay.
@subha12 (18453)
i am with my current job for 2.5 year. I have many times thought I will change it. there had been many reason. it is in my hometown where i live with parents. in this city there is very less better jobs. so i have to shift to different city.
@lingli_78 (12845)
i think the fact that i have a nice working environment, a nice manager, a nice co-workers and everybody here is very helpful with one another... i think i already too comfortable here... many times i am thinking of leaving this company and look for other job... but i just don't dare to take the risk because i am already very comfortable with my current job at the moment... take care and have a nice day...
@tammytwo (4304)
Most people stay with their jobs because they feel trapped but that shouldn't be the case. They should be there because they love the job. I was in a job just recently that I loved but when we got a new boss she did everything she could to make my life miserable. Although I did my job very well eventually she fired me because she wasn't able to work with me. This is what she told me when she fired me. I had no write ups, missed no work and was always working extra hours (on salary). But because she couldn't work with me I was fired. I honestly believe it was because she felt threatened by me and was worried I could do her job and would probably be able to replace her eventually. But anyway when she fired me she actually did me a huge favor. Now I work in a place that has half the stress and the boss is wonderful.
That's not right. I think it was unfair that you got fired because your boss was insecure and felt threatened. We did you have to suffer because you were good at your job? Thanks for the response
Similar situation as you are in…this August I completed 10 years in this place. This was not a first job for me, but my first stable job, to be sure. And then I did not even notice when the years rolled by and I fell into a cycle…I am so used to this cycle now that I would not really like taking any risks. And to be sure, I am past 35 and so at this age, I don’t want to run around trying to please people all over again and learning newer tricks. And this job pays me well too, so that’s always there.
I think I am afraid of having regrets after leaving the company. I think it is pretty petty to leave beacuse I am beacause I am bored or because I hate the people I am working with. There is a high posibility that I would be in the same situtation or meet the same type of people while working for a different company. Thanks for the response
@zhaychel (610)
• United Arab Emirates
I love my work. I enjoy it a lot. There are numerous times where I wanted to quit but my mom would always tell me that for me to grow and to learn I should embrace these challenges wholeheartedly because in the future I will be rewarded by my efforts. I have these passion of helping other people that's why no wonder I lasted long in this industry. I've been in the hotel front office department for almost 2 years now and i will be staying here for another 2 years because of my contract..^^,
@tryxiness (4548)
I think you have grown complacent with your job right now, this probably has to be in relation with the job security you get in the process. Anyways, once you feel like you need distortion in work life, that is when you know that the time has come for you to need to look for a new job.
@nengs10 (3188)
I love my job. I always wanted to be a teacher. I find my job very relaxing in the sense that I have a lot of free time. I can do whatever I like such as mylotting, blogging, chatting, surfing sites, etc. It's just very rewarding on my part to be here.