Sarah and the First Amendment

@anniepa (27240)
"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations, then I don’t know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media." Those were the exact words of Governor Sarah Palin. Does she actually believe the First Amendment's purpose is to protect HER and other politicians from the media? http://donklephant.com/2008/10/31/is-palin-this-clueless-about-first-amendment-rights/ Seriously, does she have a clue at all about anything??? Annie
Well I must admit that although I'm not all that familiar with your First Amendment, I thought it defended freedom of speech (including that of the media), and wasn't actually about freedom from attack by journalists. That is covered, when approapriate, by the slander and libel laws, so why doesn't she try sueing them lol? It sounds like whingeing to me, but hey, what does it matter now? Polls have never been proven wrong when they are so dominantly for one party/candidate, so Ms Palin can go home and get on with her self-appointed tasks of ridding the Alaskan wastes of wolves and selling off the oil resources to the highest bidder. Lash
@anniepa (27240)
I have to say I can't wait until she heads back to Alaska but I sure do wish I could do something to help the poor baby wolves. Annie
@ZephyrSun (7385)
Well you know what my answer is lol But, if I were saying things about you that were untrue or the truth was stretched you could sue me. I really don't know why that isn't happening now. Obama is to calm because I would seriously be tearing her apart myself is she was saying that crap.
@taface412 (3176)
Maybe she meant in general when people ask questions about people's past and near recent past associations...Maybe she was meaning we should have the option to know more about things so we can decide instead of being forced into Obama infomercials. Maybe she was speaking in terms of "our" as you and me, because I don't know how it goes when you are in a discussion as touchy as this you get very heated comments and even bullies who try to diminish your voice so you cannot get the answers. I say if there is nothing to it what difference does it make, if someone hides or evades things there generally is a reason and politics are no different than our own persoanl politics in life. Really this is almost over and I honestly cannot stand any more of watching people turn against one another over this. The media already does enough protection it is silly. And in fact I have stopped watching the larger networks and only watch public broadcast stations and local news for info and then I look up the stuff myself. I am done with the propaganda and I exercise my right to access info for myself concerning both sides.
@Latrivia (2889)
You know, I listened to the interview myself, and I have to say, she doesn't help her own case when she says stupid stuff like this. The sad part is, you don't even have to take that phrase out of context to further the point that she's clueless about the first amendment. It's pretty evident. She even elaborated right afterward about how "Joe the Plumber" was attacked after he came out. Of course the media is going to swarm like a bunch of hungry dogs on fresh meat. That's what they do. The first amendment doesn't protect your free speech rights from other citizens. So long as they are committing libel, every word that falls from a candidates lips is fair game as far as the media goes. I feel kind of trapped in this election. I honestly feel McCain would make a far better president that Obama (though I still believe he's unqualified for the position), but with a VP like Palin, I wouldn't want him to win.
@anniepa (27240)
That's the problem with Sarah, her supporters love to say how she's so attacked by the media and how unfair those who interviewed her were to her, but she's done it all to herself, in my opinion. She doesn't think before she speaks at all and she sure didn't pay much attention in civics class. What some thought was such a "brilliant" move by McCain for choosing her has turned into his biggest blunder, so it appears. Annie
@sharra1 (6342)
Interesting. I cannot believe that she can be so ignorant. Or maybe she thinks if she yells loud enough people will think she can do as she pleases. I read up on the amendment and am aware that it covers free speech and freedom of the media. So what is her problem? She is one of those people who think they can do as they like and no one is allowed to criticize her because she is her! She thinks she is an untouchable? Or maybe she thought the media was on her side and now is upset because they are criticizing her.
@anniepa (27240)
She really does seem to have it twisted around, that's for sure! She seems to think the First Amendment protects political candidates against the media instead of protecting the media against the government. I guess it's just another "minor" misunderstanding on her part. Annie
@Bd200789 (2994)
I don't think she does. This is stuff I learned in elementary school. Does she really believe anything she says?
Guess what, it is in way. She has the right to question and bad mouth Obama, that Is her First Amendment Right. But the Obama campaign has the same right. So whenever she says anything, the other camp can criticize and retaliate.
@anniepa (27240)
She somehow missed that part! Now she's really on the "attack the media" warpath. She had another one of her priceless interviews or press conferences where she said something about being paranoid and a stinky basket of apples...lol! Annie
@irishidid (8734)
Do you consider what is said about Sarah Palin negative attacks? Is it okay for those who don't like her to say negative things, but not all right for her to say something? Perhaps I'm reading this different than you are. I'm seeing her say First Amendment right and ability to ask questions as two different things. Then again, I'm not hunting down every nasty thing to say about her.
The issue is not the rights or wrongs of who said what bad thing about whom. It's the issue of confusing the right to free speech with the antics of the media. Anyone is free to accuse her of negative campaigning - or positive for that matter. But for anyone, including the media, to say so is not an infringement of her first amendment rights, it's the exercise of their first amendment rights, whether they are correct or not. The concern is that someone who could become President having so little understanding of the constitution she would be bound to uphold. Lash
@irishidid (8734)
My point is that people who don't like Palin seem to think she has no right saying anything negative about another candidate but they do against her. There seems to be a double standard going on.
"....our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media." What part of this do you not understand? It's very simple. It's just like "Political Correctness", We have fewer 1st Amendment rights by proxy to speak the truth if it "offends" someone. The media accuses someone of racism, That person still has the "right" to speak their mind. but their words are ineffective because they come from a "racist". Or look what they did to Joe the plumber. All the man did was ask an honest question. Now he can't find work because Of attacks from the left wing media and Obama's minions in the Ohio State Gov't. Sarah Question's Obama's association with Ayers and she is ripped for it by the media. If they refuse to cover her or only cover her in a negative way, it has the same effect of silencing her. Or worse, making her look stupid. Yet Obama's entire campaign was Built On attacking McCain's association (real or imagined) to Bush. He could not make a speech without the words "The last eight years..".
@anniepa (27240)
If this discussion has anything to do with racism I guess I really don't understand. Annie