Will this election turn into another legal battle?

We all know what happened to Florida and how the election ended up being faught out in the court system. With some of battle ground states being very close do you think that they could turn into another florida and have court battles and recount fights in the close states? If so we may end up weeks past the election and still not know who won. What do you think the potiential is for a multi state court battle over the election?
@newtondak (3950)
Since there are already discrepancies showing up with the voting, it is highly likely. There are already accusations that postal employees in Florida are throwing away absentee ballots that are being returned by mail - evidently the voter has to mark whether they are voting Democrat or Republican on the outside of the return envelope, which sounds like a stupid move to me!
very stupid move. and yes I see this election turning into the war of the lawyers in multiple states.
@newtondak (3950)
Unless they contact each absentee voter to see if they have returned their ballot, there's no way of knowing how many have - and how many votes have been lost.
@spalladino (17925)
I must have missed those reports in the news down here. Are these postal workers alleged to be Democrats or Republicans?
@spalladino (17925)
Multi state court battles, no. I believe that there will be some disputes over the results but not court battles since, even in the case of Florida, it was not the entire state that was in dispute...only certain counties.
@kdhartford (1152)
I think that lawyers are already packing their bags. There are already two lawsuits filed in Virginia, let alone all the ACORN mess. I think that we definately have too many lawyers in the US.
I think both sides are already talking with lawyers on what to do if battle ground states are too close to call.
@gewcew23 (8011)
Well I do not think it will be close enough to cause multiply state court battle royal where the last candidate in the rink wins. Obama will probably win with a safe amount of electoral vote that even if a state like Florida became to close to call the out come of that state should not matter to much. North Carolina, Virginia, and Ohio will probably go down to the wire also but with John losing in Colorado, Nevada, and Montana he would have to win all four of those state just to have a shot.
Will the whole ACORN mess and different things you have heard about voter tampering it could turn into one. The ground work is already being laid. We will just have to wait and see what happens. Personally I hope it doesnt. But I could see it happening.
@evanslf (485)
I don't think it is likely to happen, so long as the polls are correct and Obama seems to be winning by a 6 point margin or so. Remember back in 2004, there was all this prediction of another mess, but it didn't happen, basically because though Bush won narrowly, his margin of victory nationwide (2.5% or so) and in Ohio (again around 2% and something like 100,000 votes) was sufficiently large enough to dissuade Kerry from tring to mount a legal challenge, and Kerry therefore promptly conceded. So unless all the polls are all wrong and McCain closes the gap to make this very close (ie within 1.5% nationwide), like in 2000, then no I don't see this will be a problem.
@tdavis (117)
Once the president has been set the pratice will continue. When the demos. opened that door in 2004, I do not believe that they really understood the road they were traveling. Politics have always done this. The repubs used tactics in the congress when they were out of power, and then the dems used the same tactics later. If any elections fits the criteria for court intervention, you can bet your wife and kids, it will end up in the courts. As far as voter fraud, it has been going on for years. Here in California at my voting station, I do not show any ID, some places ask for name and address, some ask for name only or address only. What has been known to happen by both parties is their poll watchers can view the lists, after all they are sitting on a table in plain view. About a 1/2 hour before the poll closes the watcher will call friends and give them the name and address of a person that has not voted. The friends come in and give the info requested and vote. Don't believe me? Go to your polls in the last 1/2 hour and watch. I actual saw a guy come in and give his name and address. The poll worker told him Sir, you already voted. The guy immediately turned and ran out. Also both parties can get lists of voting records that show if people voted or not. If they see someone that hasn't voted in the last several elections odds are he/she will not vote again, they will use that info to have a substitute voter to vote how they want. Our voting system needs to be more secure, or at least use of identification to make sure the person voting is the person on the rolls. We have already had court battles to make states check for voter registration fraud and it has been fought all the way by the elected or hired officals. Our voting system is taking us to the level of a 3rd world country.