60 Minutes on our Reservists (US)

@dawnald (84155)
Shingle Springs, California
Was watching 60 minutes last night. I came in the middle of this one. Apparently many army reservists come back from deployment to find they don't have jobs any more. And some companies won't hire reservists due to the high possibility that they'll be deployed. Both of those things are illegal. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/30/60minutes/main4558315.shtml Outrageous. What do you think?
@SaintAnne (5454)
I think it's a shame. The country should do much better in taking care of the veterans after they've come back. They do so well with the recruiting but not so much with the support these brave souls really need once they go back to "normal" life. Not only can they not get their jobs back, a lot of them come home with life-changing physical and/or mental injuries/problems and not a lot of people are there to support them. And as for companies who won't hire reservists for fear they may be deployed, then that is just plain cowardice and greed. Let's not worry about this little fella over here who's going to fight in a war so we could focus on getting someone who could work for us and bring some more dough in. Argh!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah I know, it's sickening. Although I do think that for very small companies with reservists, the government ought to help so that they can stay in business.
@SaintAnne (5454)
Thank you, dawnald.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
You're welcome!
@twallace (2675)
I don't think that it's fare the didn't have there jobs when the came home. That is something they should keep open for them. It's not right, they have to come home and look for new jobs. Then might be turned down cause the are a reservist and could have to leave at anytime. That is something the government should secure for them. This looks bad on the US if they have reservist that leave for deployment and then come back to no jobs and no work. That's not right, they know they should fix that and fast. Oh wait that's not important to them that they don't have work or jobs. The just want them ready for deployment. Still it's not far, you don't read or hear about things like that no the local news. But sixty minutes you find out things that you don't get for the local news sometimes.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
It's illegal, but I think the problem is that some people don't realize that. Anyway, see response above, there is recourse through the government. The one about companies not hiring reservists is trickier, because unless they're stupid enough to come right out and say so, they can always claim they didn't hire them for some other reason.