What Are You Going To Do When Obama Is Elected Tomorrow?

By JJ
@myklj999 (13866)
Olney, Illinois
Wait...I meant "if" Obama is elected tomorrow... It's still anybody's race...it all depends on who votes tomorrow and who doesn't. I will use my 18 ACORN sponsored votes for Ralph Nader. I would have voted McCain, but I don't like Palin; it's as simple as that. I've been on here raising hell with people that attack Obama; not because I think he should be President, but because I think most of the anti-Obama posts I have seen (from certain people) really don't make much sense from a political viewpoint to me (although a handful of you, who I won't name, do actually make sense. I hope you know who you are; if you respond, I will acknowledge you). Here's hoping our country can survive the next four years...
@fwidman (11515)
Dewey Defeat Truman - President Truman holds up newspaper proclaiming his opponent the winner
Hallelujah! The election will be over tomorrow and I won't be getting any more stupid telephone calls or junk mailers telling me who and what I should vote for or against. Yippee! It is always anyone's race, as the attached picture shows clearly
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
Want me to throw a pair of shoes at them for bothering you?
@fwidman (11515)
Please do, Rosekitty. But, not the heels! Throw some old workboots at them
@Galena (9123)
from a non American, I would be very very releived. I don't think he's perfect, but the alternative is truly terrifying. McCain and Palin terrify me. there's no way they should have any power over any other human being.
@relundad (2311)
Amen
@whiteheron (4223)
Well, I have already done my civic duty and voted early. I stood in line for two hours to do so... It was a relief to finally toss out all of that clutter of junk mail information about pros and cons on the various propositions and local candidates that were also enclosed on the ballot along with the more featured Presidential race. I might go and flash my I voted sticker somewhere: Starbucks is offering a free cup of coffee on Tuesday to customers who say they voted. Likewise, Krispy Kreme will give customers a doughnut in the shape of a star, with red, white and blue sprinkles, to anyone showing the traditional "I Voted" sticker at participating locations. Ben and Jerry's will be giving away a free scoop of ice cream from 5-8pm on Election Day too just to celebrate our wonderful Democracy. And I will be looking for a job as the Clinic I counseled at closed down in May and I am amoung the ranks of the unemployed.
@irishidid (8563)
I was watching D.L. Hughley on CNN and Al Sharpton made a statement that I thought was quite relevant to the situation. "We'll be in the pilot's seat and we better know how to fly the plane or we never should have gotten on the plane in the first place." That may not be exact, but here's the link. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/11/02/dl.al.sharpton.cnn?iref=videosearch
@leenie50 (3992)
Hi mkl, I'm almost afraid to ask, but why don't you like Sara Palin? There is nothing simple about this election. If you don't want to say why, that's ok. I was just curious. leenie
@myklj999 (13866)
• Olney, Illinois
Because of her stance on abortion; she is opposed to abortion even in cases of rape and incest, and any woman that thinks a young girl raped by her father should have to carry a child full-term isn't much of a person I would want as the #2 leader of our country.
@leenie50 (3992)
mykl, Thanks for answering my question. As a woman who doesn't believe in abortion anymore, I feel like Sara Palin has more compassion then given credit for. As you and I know, neither the President or VP make the decisions about abortion. I used to believe that abortion should be allowed to any woman who wanted it. But as I have seen and learned too many women young and old have abused that right beyond belief. I still feel that some abortions are necessary but if made to choose, I would have to say no on abortion. Life is too precious to allow people to discard it at will. Please understand that I am not trying to change or even effect anyones opinion on this subject. It's just my opinion. leenie
@relundad (2311)
Let me answer...because politically she is dumb as a sack of rocks!
@lvaldean (1612)
CNN Prediction Map - Using the CNN Wall Map this is my prediction of the outcome. I of course could be wrong.
We won't know tomorrow unless it is a landslide one way or the other. There will be challenges and finger pointing. There will be claims of falsification and tampering. It will, without a doubt be decided by the Courts not the people, unless it is a landslide and indisputable. There is just no way this country with all its racist BS will allow a Bi-racial man to take office. People always forget that Barack Obama is 1/2 White. He is a product of the United States of America. He is not Black except in our mixed up logic of a "one drop" theory. He is Bi-Racial. But all that being said if he wins there will be challenges. There will be teeth gnashing. There will be hand wringing. There will be foot stomping, not the good kind. White America is not ready for this one, not at all. Me, I will pour my self a Appletini sit back and watch the returns. My husband being a West Indian can't vote but he and I have a bet going as to what the CNN map will look like when it is all said and done.
@lvaldean (1612)
What I specifically said is that unless it is a landslide "one way or the other" - do learn to read please. And yes I do believe that America remains essentially racist. If the show feets wear it with pride.
@lvaldean (1612)
Pointing out obvious issues in American sociology does not mean I am unAmerican. Nor does it mean I don't love my country. This has been a failed tactic of the right for far to long. What it does mean is that many Americans recognize that America remains at its core a country divided by racism. If you don't understand this than you are blinded. It doesn't mean that you are personally racist in your everyday life it means that the country as a whole is racist, it is also sexist by the way. This is why despite the many capable and competent Black men and women, the many capable women in this country who could run for office, who could run companies, who could do many things - you don't see them. The opportunities are limited and they aren't in the front. We remain a country bound by our "tradition" and bound by our "isms". This is why this campaign, this race is so polorizing. Whoever wins at the polls it will be a first - either a Black Man will win or a woman will be our first VP. Either way it will be a first. Either way there will be challenges. Either way there will be unhappy people, not because their candidate didn't win but because of the underlying "isms" within this country. But honestly, racism is by far the more prevelant and more far reaching. This isn't about me not loving my country. Nor is it about you loving it more. It isn't a contest. It is about the truth. As I said if the shoe fits wear it, not as a individual but as a country...we have to at some point acknowledge that this is the truth. If you are incapable of doing so that is ok, but it is out there even on mylot it is apparent all you have to do is look at the language that is used "lazy, ignorant, appathatic, uninformed" this describes those who vote for Obama, and in most cases also in the same breath informs the racial heritage.
@lvaldean (1612)
Amazing that you find me so. But that is fine. Your findings don't bother me or even offend me.
Same thing I would do if McCain is elected. I just don't really see much good happening in the next 4 years, regardless who wins tomorrow. Both candidates scare the crap out of me. All I can see to do is keep doing what I have been doing for the past 8 years. Things have to turn around, sooner or later. I just don't see it happening during this administration.......whoever wins.
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
Don't praise BO too much it might go to her head....ok here's a brownie..
*Wiggles eyebrows* Mmmmm brownies! What's going to my head? Air, maybe? My brother keeps telling me I need to close the valve........whatever that means.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
"If" Obama is elected tomorrow, I'm going to breath a sigh of relief that Palin isn't in line for the presidency. Not that I have some naive belief that Obama is going to fix all our problems...
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can handle that...
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
You mean its over tomorrow?..I really doubt it..things will happen that will make us realise we are in for another 4 more scary years..
@myklj999 (13866)
• Olney, Illinois
things will happen that will make us realise we are in for another 4 more scary years.. Come here and I'll hold you and chase all the bad things away.
@laglen (19782)
I am thinking Canada is a beautiful country! The fact is, I really do not know for sure what Obama stands for. It depends on where he is actually standing at the time. A very big reason I would not vote for him, is his stance on redistribution of wealth. Another biggy that's closer to home (because I am poor) his view on gin ownership. It scares me when a politician wants to disarm America. I also do not think that health care should be universal. If that is what you want, there are an awful lot of socialist countries out there.
@Opal26 (17690)
Hi myklj! I will just pray that the country can survive the next four years too and hope that maybe things can somehow get a little bit better??? Althought I don't know how they can being that they are beyond being fixed at this point since the President moron we have now has had eight years to really screw them up! And I had nothing to do with putting that azzhole in office either time! I will be voting for Obama because I really can't stand McCain or Palin and I am basically a Democrat! Since the choices are what they are that is the way it will have to be! I will be voting and I will be praying for our country! We sure do need so serious prayers!
@mehale (2200)
Honestly this election concerns me for many reasons. One I truly don't like either candidate that much - I would have greatly preferred Ron Paul, but that is no longer an option. **SIGH** But seriously, either way it goes there will probably be trouble to come. If, by some miracle, McCain pulls it off and wins, people will cry foul; if we are lucky it will not become another election legal battle. On the other hand, there have already been threats against Obama - heaven forbid anything should really happen; but it is cause for worry. Plus we really don't know that much about him. We also don't know if either of them will do any of the things they have promised in their campaigns - most candidates do not even try to keep their campaign promises. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best.
@Lee_Rites (845)
Obama's ahead in the polls but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if McCain won in a landslide. Either way, tomorrow is my night off. I plan on throwing a few back and watching the fireworks.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I'm not crazy about Palin myself... but Nader is nuts!! I plan on voting for McCain, and in all honesty, if Obama wins the election, I think I will leave the country, because I will be far too terrified of what will happen to us if he does win. I bet ya all the rich people will leave too, so they don't have to pay his idiotic tax plan... then where will the country be without the rich people's taxes? I can't wait for 4 years to go by and tell all the Obama supporters "I told you so... are you happy now?" after the economy has completely crumbled.
@Barbietre (1440)
Funny, My sister and I said the saem of McCain wins. Palin will kill him off with an "accidentral shooting" and then she will revert the country to the OLD WILD WEST. And Mcsame will do nothing to help the ecomony either. On fact presidents really do not have that much of an effect on the economy.
McCain's plan has better hopes of helping our economy than Obama's. Rob from the rich to give to the poor? And you expect the rich to be okay with that? What do you think will happen then? The rich will quit their jobs or move away, then we'll have no more rich to rob from, and no more high paying jobs. What will we do for doctors and lawyers then?
@myklj999 (13866)
• Olney, Illinois
Who needs lawyers anyway? And doctors used to make house calls and actually care about their patients more than the money they get paid; then we have professional athletes being paid millions...give everybody minimum wage and to hell with it.
Well, it's official now. I can only say that I hope and pray that President-elect Barack Obama will keep his promise of being centrist and listening especially when we disagree with him. I just don't see it in his record so far. I believe in the future, people will see that Sarah Palin is NOT the ditzy bad egg they assume she is. And I hope and pray that we will also see that Obama is also NOT the naive, or cunning leftist that we assume.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Dog, I wouldn't hold my breath for that LAST one, were I you.... Maggiepie
@jerzgirl (8013)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Me...I will rejoice! I can only hope and pray that he does for our government what he has done for voter apathy. I realize there are disagreements here politically and I'm not trying to stir the pot. I did read your discussion - but I chose to answer the title.
@myklj999 (13866)
• Olney, Illinois
Well right back atcha!
I'm gonna say, Yippee! Because I know that unless someone "forces" a vote re-count like they did when Gore actually won the election... America will be better off with Obama!
@Thrask (6)
I gotta tell you. This is all so tough for me. I've been watching everything very closely and debate it every night with my family. We are a pretty politically conscious and caring family. I totally agree with you...Palin is SCARY!!! I'm voting more against someone than for someone. I think OBama is a great man and means well, but I fear for his economic policies and think his associations are shady. They are. I mean...tax in a time of economic struggle??? That number keeps going down. Pretty soon, there won't be small businesses to keep the rich employed to give half their salary to the poor!!! ughhh... So on character, experience, and economic policies, I'm McCain. But inspiration, some freaking diplomacy, having the world love us again, women's rights, and not getting Palin in office, I'm all Obama. Can someone please help me out here? I'm mad about this. I'm going to celebrate tonight in a land of Liberals and not quite sure which way I'll be happy or rooting to win.... I sorta love Biden though. Hmmm....
Hi myklj999, I wish you all the luck for your country and to the new president, i really hope it will be Obama as I don't like McCaine either, lets hope it will all work out well. Tamara
@xialinye (1403)
obama wins.... i have to say congratulation to him and god bless American!
Yes, GOD BLESS AMERICA -- and God bless you, too!