What do you think about the DH rule in baseball?

@stinge (808)
I'm pretty sure this discusion has probably been started on mylot before, but screw you people cause I'm starting it again! They talked about it after the world series was over a few weeks ago. Some people think they should get rid of the DH and let the pitchers hit. What about when the all-star game is played in a National League park, does anyone wanna see a pitcher hit in the all-star game? I don't really care to see pitchers who go up to the plate and give a half a$$ed swing like they're terrified to be standing up there. I'm pretty sure every major league baseball player played little league ball. And like some of us 9-5ers out there who played, you pretty much played every position. And when you pitched, you also hit. I like seeing guys like Dontrelle Willis when he was with the Marlins come to the plate and actually look like an athlete with the bat in his hand. He's a guy that will go 2 for 4 in a game at the plate when he's scheduled to pitch. But I think they should put the DH rule in both leagues. I think in the national league, it's too easy to pitch around the 8th place batter to get to the pitcher for the last out. It's exciting to see a pitcher get a hit, but for the most part all they do is go up there to bunt or strike out. It's too much of an easy out for the opposing team. I think picthers should pitch to the best lineup 1-9 every game. If you find yourself in a jam with runners on base, no more walking the catcher because you know the pitcher's on deck. Suck it up and picth your way out of it!
Of the 4 teams I root for, three are in The National league. I love that the pitcher is expected to hit. I used to Hate th DH until I started rooting for the Red Sox. Without the DH , Big Papi would be out of the job. I think the leagues should remain the way they are.In the American league, they go by the creed, " Chicks dig the long ball." They seem to rely on the homerun . And with the National League, they play small ball. I have seen more hitters bunt for a hit in The National League. And bunting is what most pitchers are called to do.I love seeing a pitcher who can hit.I love the difference between the Leagues. It keeps baseball interesting especially with interleague play.On an American League field, which ace hitter will be the DH? And on a National League field, how will the pitcher hit? It is fun.
Let's face it , The National League is like a chess match. Do you bring a guy or not Do you let him hit or not?That's what I saw as baseball for decades before I really saw an American League so I am used to it. Before, I thought that the pitchers in the American League were being pampered until Big Papi. He can field but he is soo much better as a DH. That's why I am glad he has a place in the American League.If I hadn't joined the Red Sox Nation, I would Still think that the DH should go.
I like the extra work that a National League manager has to do throughout the course of a game. He has to plan ahead, sometimes several innings ahead, when he is considering getting someone up in the bullpen, making a pitching change, or making a double switch. I think not having a DH in the NL makes it more of a challenge for a manager, and ultimately shows which managers are the best in the professional game. That being said, however, I follow American League baseball more than the National League, as I am a die-hard Twins fan. I grew up knowing the DH as the standard, and appreciated the fact that the DH had to hit and then had two or three innings to think out the pitch he just missed, the extra base he tried to take and got thrown out, or about the pitch he took for strike three. I do like the inter-leaugue play during the summer, and find it a nice quirk when AL pitchers get to hit. In theory, this should give the NL an advantage, as their pitchers hit for the whole year, while the AL pitchers only get several at bats each year. The NL gets to use a DH when they travel to an AL park, and the AL does not have an advantage in this situation. (This is only in theory, though, as the AL beat the pants off the NL during interleague play in 2008). I don't think Major League Baseball will be making a change concerning the DH in the next decade. There is too much history and too many fans who do not like major change, and to change the DH rule would potentially alienate these fans.
I would allow the DH in both leagues, but only in the seventh inning or later. This would clear up difficulties with relief pitchers, most of whom are very poor hitters. Also, in a game that goes into extra innings, managers would not "run out of players" as quickly.