Obama and Bush meet today, how awkward will this meeting be?

Obama has spent the last two years saying some bad things about President Bush. Well today they get to meet at the White House for talks and a tour. Will this meeting be awkward? Will their be hurt feeling over all the things that have been said on both sides?
@newtondak (3950)
I would hope that this meeting would be the start of a joint effort to get an economic stimulus package passed ASAP - I would hope that both are willing to "reach across the aisle" to do what is best for the American people in the next few months. I think politicians view the various attacks as just part of the campaign process and don't pay much attention to them. Bush pretty much stayed out of the campaign, not showing support for McCain and not attacking Obama, so if there are hurt feelings, it would be on Bush's part for all of the things Obama has said about him. Bush has been attacked by members of both parties and by the majority of the American people! My opinion would be that Bush is more than willing to let Obama take over - and like everyone else is going to be watching to see if he can actually do what he has said that he will do.
I agree. I think Bush is just ready to go home and let someone else deal with this mess.
@newtondak (3950)
I am sure, with all the promises that Obama has made, Bush is interested in seeing just how many of them he can fulfill. Obama fails to realize that once he was elected, he is now the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong in this country - the same as Bush was once he was elected.
@irisheyes (4373)
It's always an awkward situation when the transition is made between parties but somehow they always manage to make it through. Occassionally, they even become friendly after both presidencies are finished and join together for humanitarian projects. Look and Clinton and George Bush Senior. If #42 and #43 can handle things gracefully, there's no reason #44 and #45 can't do the same.
@irisheyes (4373)
Opps, I think I got my numbers fouled up. We don't have a #45 yet, do we. Oh well, just take it all down a number. LOL
Both Bush and Obama are seasoned politicians.One may accuse the other for his wrong policies and decisions.It's all in the game and I hope that they will take this all in a sportsman spirit,speak about their differences,make up and lead the country forward with a concerted effort.That's what they can do in the best interest of the nation by leaving behind the differences and dream for a new resurgent america.
@jonesy123 (3950)
I don't think it will be awkward at all. Lots of the bashing is necessary campaign stuff and they both know that. I'm sure they'll have nice chit-chat and a few laughs. I don't think Bush cares anymore anyway.
@mehale (2200)
It may be uncomfortable and a bit awkward, but I don't think that hurt feelings will be too much of a problem. Most of what was said by both was simply politics as usual during the campaign season, and for the most part expected. Though I must say that I would like to be a fly on the wall and hear what really goes on during this meeting and tour! LOL
@evanslf (485)
Transitions are always awkward, particulary when power shifts from one party to another. It could get nasty, like when Truman handed power to Eisenhower or when Carter handed power to Reagan. Things did get very difficult in these two transitions. On the other hand, when Eisenhowever handed power to Kennedy, it went very well, so one never knows. So we really don't know how its going to pan out but I suspect that due to the severe economic crisis, they are going to have to work together and to put partisanship to one side. So I suspect it will go reasonably smoothly, even though I suspect Bush will try a few executive orders which Obama will then cancel after 20 January.
@anniepa (27242)
I'm sure it will be a bit awkward but both men have been in politics long enough to know all that happened during the campaign was just part of the "game". I've heard just about every political figure I've ever heard asked this question that it's harder on the families and especially spouses than it is on the actual candidate. Both Hillary and Bill Clinton, who have both been on both sides, have said that several times. They actually take it more personally when it's not directed at them personally! Considering that, maybe we should be more interested in how it goes between Laura and Michelle. We in the U.S. are held in high esteem around the world for how peacefully we're able to transfer power. Also, I've heard it said so many times that all of our Presidents, regardless of party, are a part of a very exclusive "club" so despite their differences they tend to have a special bond with one another. I also think Bush is more than ready to leave it all behind him. I know I would be! Annie
@anniepa (27242)
Thanks for the BR, Hon! It appears this meeting went just fine, at least both parties emerged without any visible scars as did the meetings between Obama and McCain and the one between the Bidens and the Cheneys. (Now THAT'S the one where I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall...lol!) Annie