BRIGHT side of the global economic meltdown!

We might be poorer money-wise, but I believe this period will have great potential for people coming closer together, to help each other out. There will also be more innovation, to make resources go further. The "Transition Towns" movement seems to be quite a promising thing for the future. I'm going to investigate it further, there is one in Glastonbury, the town famous for it's music festival and new age shops and therapies... What do YOU think?
You're quite a man, dreamhealer! How wonderful it would be if anything werre to bring us together, in tolerance. It would be well worth it to be dirt poor for this to happen. Sadly, though, too many parts of the world are at war. We must all participate in fixing these things!
You're making me blush, with your compliments! Like you say, we should all try to participate in fixing things, it all adds up! :~)
You deserve the kudos, so don't be embarrassed, please. Even if we're only able to affect a few people here and there (myLot, for example), things tend to have a ripple effect. No matter how much flak we take from the cynamong us, we must never stop fighting for one another and there can't be any hatred or violence in that!
true to that. and also that we save more n try to spend effictly and avoid junk. it will also help ssave the environment
You're right on! Thanks for that, you're certainly quick to get five responses in quick succession!
@sk66rc (4261)
From what I understand, some of the brightest & best inventions were made by accidents. Others were made by absolute necessity. It's good to hear some of us are actually an optimists. When economy goes south, people will figure out a way to make things last longer & go further, like auto industry. All those conspiracy stuff set aside, like who killed the electric cars, rising energy made us look harder & deeper into alternative fuels & come up with better hybrid cars. They're getting better each year. Who'd thought they'd come out with electric sports car that out performs a lot of gas powered sports cars out now. http://www.teslamotors.com/ Also, I can't remember which company it is so I won't state an exact quote here but they have a freight train that can go over 300 miles carrying few tons of cargo on 1 gallon of gasoline. Like so many people here stated, including yourself, I agree that it's times like these that will bring people together & that's when great things will happen.
Tesla Motors sounds very promising, thanks for the hyperlink. Think I'm going to have a tricky job deciding BR, but yours will be under consideration! Cheers!! :~)
@jayyerex (224)
There is something to be said for acting locally and paying attention to global issues. With the age of the internet still ramping up I think we will see people band together to take care of each other. I now have friends all over the world and I care deeply for them. As such I will do for them what I can. At the same time I feel the need to concentrate on my local environment and make it as happy a place as possible for those who do not have as much as I do. It will be interesting to watch and see what happens over the next ten to twenty years in terms of how we help each other live and how we live ourselves. Change is coming and I for one can't wait for tomorrow.
My sentiments too! The consumer lifestyle, though comfortable, has turned out to be a quite empty way of living. :~)
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Hi dreamhealer The global economic downturn has certainly made us wiser and smarter. We would certainly be more money wise and would think twice in investing . Fund management certainly would be more stringent. The free money and the luxuries in life might slow down to realise the value of people, society and culture. We have learned a valuable lesson. Its not that we didn't know but sometime a thrash makes us realise it all. Thanks.
Thank you! Think you mean "crash" not "thrash", but you've made a thoughtful contribution. Like your flower as an 'avatar'. :~)
@paid2write (5202)
I also think it is of great benefit to the planet as people are exploring their own countryside rather than flying overseas and camping rather than stay in expensive hotels. People are spending less on luxury items and pre-packaged foods and are returning to growing food and cooking food at home. People are looking for alternatives to oil for energy. I think this economic climate is really going to help the actual climate by reducing pollution and carbon. I think it's great that towns and cities are being designated as Transition Towns too. Thank you for highlighting the good side of the global financial crises. I was only thinking yesterday how it is uniting people around the world, in a way even the war on terror has never done.
Cheers for your thoughtful response, with the pound sterling going down the tubes at the mo, that will also stop many of us flight happy Brits (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) from holidaying abroad! Yes, we will all have to think about more sustainable ways of living! :~)
@underdogtoo (9599)
I am all for bringing people together. There is a lot of good that can be gained from sharing time and space along with feelings of belongingness. Cheers!!
Thanks for your comment! No need to be an underdog though - have picked my tag to pull me towards a positive future!! Happy myLotting... :~)