How to trace lost laptop?

@healer (1784)
my friend bought a new XPS 1730 laptop recently but due to his carelessness it got stolen yesterday. He paid quite a huge amount for that laptop and he is really upset about it so i thought of discussing it here. He went to the Police station to FIR the case and i don't know what happened there. Since we don't have any idea about this kind of things so am asking for your help to suggest what to do or what shall he do to get it back. He have the box in which it has the IMEI number. I'll really appreciate your suggestions. I am from India.
Is it Dell XPS? If correct, than you better to lodge a report to Dell. I'm not sure whether they can track it back or not, but one thing for sure is that they can block whatever update that's available if the thief try to connect to Internet and updates the notebook. I'm sorry for you.
@healer (1784)
thanks a lot for your suggestions.
@adihindu (1922)
I am from India too. If the laptop was back, then it was a miracle. Sorry to say that. Now a days, we have programs to change anything even that Mac address or IMEI number. So I think police can't help as the thief of the laptop will sell it in second hand store. Try to trace where it lost and the nearest place of big second hand store. If it was stolen by a person who knew about laptops, then you have to forgot about it.