Tips for saving money during the holiday season?

I was hoping we could start a discussion about how to save money during the holiday season. I don't have a lot of money to be spent on presents year (I'm sure we're ALL in that position with the economy the way that it is). What are some ways that you cut down on costs of presents? Here's what I mean: Buying holiday cards at the dollar store Putting presents on layaway (I think K-Mart does this) Making handmade presents Clipping coupons Buying online as opposed to mall shopping, etc Enjoy your holiday season! Thanks in advance for the responses!
We have had some pretty tight financial years, the past few. Kmart, and Sears just announced are both doing layaways. I would take advantage of those for sure. Baking cookies, or other goodies, like jams and jellies, and putting in a basket are nice gifts. Making gifts is great, but they can be expensive with the huge craft wave going on, all the craft items are up. We used to do nice pictures, and supply a nice frame for gifts to loved ones. We also had to trim our giving list. This was hard for us, and the receivers but it had to be done. This year, our finances are not so difficult, but I am still being conservative.
Exactly how does the layaway plan work at Sears and Kmart? You're right...I was also thinking about making Christmas cookies and putting them in baskets, but I was surprised to see how expensive the cellophane gift paper and baskets are! I don't ever remember crafts being so darn expensive! Thanks so much for the suggestions! Have a great holiday season!
For both Sears and Kmart, you pick the items you want, take them back to layaway, give some basic info, pay a small down payment, and then make payments at least every two weeks, until the balance is paid. Then poof take them home, wrap them up, and give them away. As for the baskets and cellophane, you could try Michaels, or a local dollar store this time of year you can get great prices. One more cool thing I just found out about is www.blackfriday.com they have black friday specials online. Of course you have to have the cash to purchase, but I spoke to people that used it last year and the savings were awesome.
@kkthom3 (279)
I am thinking of giving people things that I already have. I know it sounds bad, but I have a lot of books and they are in really good condition, so I might just give some of those away as presents.
That doesn't sound bad, that sounds smart! I have lots of DVDS and CDS that I haven't even played that I'm sure would make good stocking stuffers for friends. I also like to make framed picture collages of my friends. It is REALLY easy and cheap to make, and it means a lot to them! Thanks for the response!
I am going to be making several presents myself this holiday season. Another thing to do is to shop on "black friday" when they have all the big sales. Definitely shop around for those big ticket items to find the best price on them. Also ebay is a great way to Christmas shop! I have bought several Christmas presents from them in the past.
You know, a lot of people have told me in the past that Black Friday has great savings. At my mall, Black Friday is a HUGE event where people line up at the doors hours before the mall actually opens. I don't think I could drive all the way to the mall, find parking, and then fight off the masses of people all for saving $30 on a laptop. E-bay is definitely a possibility. I LOVE e-bay and I normally find a lot of good deals on there. Thanks for the reply!
@bowtieguy (5931)
Those are good suggestions. I also like to start my shopping in september so I can shop in shifts and not be spending so much money at one time.
@Pigglies (9340)
I'm buying a lot of presents at store closing sales and online. Another thing I'm doing, is writing articles to earn extra money for shopping.