What are symptoms of depression?

@android (895)
What are the symptoms of depression? Do you suffer with depression? Can you tell us any ways that you can help deal with depression naturally? Personally, I think that antidepression medication is a waste of time and sometimes can be dangerous. What do you think?
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Symptoms of depression include constant fatigue and disinterest in doing anything. Sometimes there can be a certain cause that can be worked through with counselling, like an event such as divorce or miscarriage. But in other cases, like mine, it can be a chemical imbalance. I went through 8 different anti-depressants until I found one that works for me... and it really works. I felt so good after about five years that I tried to wean off the medication but became very down immediately. I was even given the generic over the brand name and I was miserable for a month until I realized it was the medication. I got back on the brand name and I was feeling better within a couple of days. So, yes, if not given the right medication anti-depressants can me dangerous. But being closely supervised by a doctor should prevent anything bad from happening. Depression is hereditary, so is just plain negative thinking I learned recently. There is nothing shameful about depression. I have been through therapy a couple of times which helped me with my attitude towards life and my situation, but I can say without any doubt that I could not live without the medication.
@android (895)
Thanks for your reply, you gave a good detailed response. I have suffered with depression for many years but the way I see it is that by becoming dependant on addictive medication I am just causing myself another problem which further adds to my depression. The medication also doesn't take any of my problems away. I would therefore be much happier to learn how to deal with it naturally.
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Like I said, it depends on the cause of the depression. I do not believe anti-depressants are addictive medications. After the experiences I had with the generic and with attempting to wean off the medication, I am sure it is a chemical imbalance and have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably have to be on it for the rest of my life. But they are not addictive. Pain killers can be addictive. There is also a difference between being dependent and addicted. If the cause of your depression is emotional then seek therapy. There are some natural herbs you can take, and gemstones are also helpful. But if your depression is severe I would definitely seek medical treatment.
The best symptoms of depression is the person can't concentration in his work or anythings of his life. He can't enjoy his life. Always in tense and always take long breath. This symptoms prove that a person is in depression. And there is no medicine for depression. Have a good time!
@android (895)
Good comments thanks. There is medication for depression such as antidepressants or SSRI's (Serotonin uptake reinhibitors) but in my personal opinion taking pills does not take away your problems and utimately your depression is usually caused by your problems therefore you're just getting yourself addicted to tablets which in itself is another problem to add to your depression.
@besthope44 (12145)
Well, sometimes its unavoidable that we feel depressed for the day..but for the health its not a good side, i believe in Meditation which will balance our mind and helps to be normal at situations.
@besthope44 (12145)
Most time, its my work..with ontime deliveries and work loads. I try to divert mind on music and i feel better.
@cdsamp (91)
• Argentina
As others said before, there are a lot of symptoms related to depression. Some of them are: loose of appetite, changes in the mood, weight problems, changes in level of hormones, insomnia, headaches, feelings of hopelessness, digestion problems, problems with concentration (specially noticeable when a student lowers his grades), stress leading to chronic stress, between other possible symptoms (these are the most common).
There are many symptoms of depression. Some of them are: losing interest in things that you used to like to do, feelings of hopelessness, feelings of impending doom, low energy, sleeping alot-or not being able to sleep, constant thoughts and feelings that you will never feel better...there are many more. Antidepressant medications can sometimes be dangerous, and should be prescribed by a psychiatrist... and sometimes they literally save lives. They do not work for everyone. It also depends on the severity of the depression. Depression is sometimes hereditary, but not always. Sometimes it is from a chemical imbalance, sometimes not. This is why it is important to get a proper diagnosis, and even a second opinion before trying medication. Natural ways to deal with depression are: Psychotherapy/counseling, exercise (to increase the "feel-good" chemicals in the brain, listening to/reading positive reinforcement material, meditation, hypnosis, self-help groups, and more. There are natural remedies that work for some people for depression, but these can be just as dangerous (if not more so) as the medication. Some of these are: 5-HTP, SAM-E, St. John's Wort, and others. Some of these can interact badly with medications, so seek the advice of a health care professional before trying them, especially of you are on any medication.