Who Did What To Whose Cow...Behind WHOSE Barn?

By JJ
@myklj999 (14846)
That pretty much summed up how I felt this afternoon after checking one of my email accounts. Seems one of those mass mailing chain letter things had been sent by one of my friends to several people at the same time. While this appears to be a standard practice with emails, it is not one I approve of, because that puts my address out there to people I didn't plan on giving it to. A few others felt the same way. I wound up receiving letters from a couple others that weren't actually for me, but the responses appeared to have gone to everyone from the original mailing frenzy. So I'm reading these emails going "WTF did I do now, 'cause I sure don't remember sending any of this". Finally got it all cleared up. But the point is; just because someone gives you their address does not give you the right to share it or give it to anyone else. That's only common courtesy, isn't it? Of course, maybe it's not so common anymore. What do you think? If someone gives you their email address, do you keep it to yourself, or do you send it in mass mailing lists?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Repeat after me: bcc bcc bcc That's what I do unless I'm sending to a family group where I know they all have each other's e-mail addys already.
@cyntrow (8524)
Many people do not know how to send without forwarding. I always bcc, as I have a number of friends who don't want to be seen at all by other people I know. Long story. LOL.
@scorpio19 (1363)
Hi, I keep it to myself but what I do is have one email address that I give out and couldn't careless what went in there and I have one that I give to people I know I can trust but this is the net and it's so hard to keep an email address private, even the site you have the email address off sell your email address it's big money, an email list on the net.
Hi myklj999, Yes, I hate those e-mail as well I get quite a few of those chain mail and I hate them, I will to tell this person not to keep sending me those mail. Tamara
@fwidman (11515)
I generally only get mass mailings from my son (the recently married one) and the address just shows him I don't know how he did that, but I like it that way. As you say, just because you give your email address to one person it does not mean they should spread it around to others
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey myklj! I got that one too and I deleted it immediately! I hate those chain emails and I get them all the time and I refuse to read them and hit the delete button! I find that to be extremely rude to begin with first of all! And I definitely feel that if it is a mass mailing, which is usually is you have NO RIGHT to take some one's email address from there just because someone else sent it to you! It is wrong in all senses of the word! It is a definite invasion of one's privacy and one that I personally resent! That is why I delete them immediately. Once in awhile I get some rather cute and funny ones, but the ones that say forward to whatever I will not read! And I feel that it isn't right to include other's email addresses and then forward them on to who knows how many others! But, how do you stop this?
@myklj999 (14846)
The email addy I gave you and some of the others here has never received any spam yet. I don't give it to everyone; even most of my family doesn't have it. My other email gets so much spam I don't even check it most days.
@savypat (20246)
I consider email address just as I do return addresses, of course I have more than one and the ones I use for making money I don't even try to keep private, that would be very unrealistic of me
@camomom (7536)
I don't have that many people on my email list. I sometimes send mass emails but not chain emails. The people that I send emails to are considerate enough not to steal other peoples address's. None of them would give out anyone else's info without asking.
@pumpkinjam (5774)
I do send other email addresses in mass mailing lists but that is partly because I don't know how to change it to hide them! Also, the only people I have in my mailing list to whom I send mass mails are family and close friends who all know each other's addresses anyway. If that wasn't the case then I would just send stuff seperately although I don't send those chain letter things because I don't like them and as my "mass" mailing lists contains approximately 7 people who are all related to each other, I don't think I'm sharing info which I am not supposed to share. However, if I was sending mass mails to lots of people who didn't know each other then I would find out how to hide the addresses because I wouldn't want people I don't know to have my email so I wouldn't share others.
I've got yours and I'll never let anybody see it, I keep em' private, its common courtesy like you said.
@polachicago (19075)
You better talk to some of my friends. They are sending me those forwarded emails and I get very mad. I can have nice collection of other people emails, who knows how many. At some point I may even have yours....
My father in law does this to me all the time, worse yet his computer attaches everyone's instant messenger as well! I keep showing him how to do it the right way, but as a previous responder pointed out, seniors have a real bad habit of doing this because it's quicker and easier. The worst part is trying to tell him that I NEVER do chain letters in any form, especially the religious ones.
If for some weird reason that I feel the need to do a mass mailing I make sure that I do it in groups. Example would be a group from work who all already have each others e-mails. I also have a group of friends who are pastors. And if I forward such an e-mail to anyone I always delete all previous addresses out of curtsy to those previous people. I try to think how I would feel and then step it up a couple of notches so that everyone is comfortable.
I had never looked at it that way before but now I realise why I get so much spam or email from people I do not even know. Thanks!
@ZephyrSun (7385)
It was probably my mom I taught her how to use email and now she forwards all those stupid jokes, pictures, tests ect on to everyone. I just add email address to my address book and if I email more than one person the same email I send them a bcc.
Your email may have been part of a forwarded message, that was forwarded, and forwarded, and forwarded until someone harvested all of the addresses and passed them out. whenever I forward a message, I always delete the sometimes hundreds of addresses that are included in the forward. I don't share e-mail addresses unless the owner asks me to share it. Happy MyLotting!
Sorry, Mikey, I won't do it again, I promise. The only time I send out mass mailings, if ever, is to family members,so I don't bother to BCC. But, IF I were to forward something to friends, you can bet I would be using the BCC function on the addresses and cleaning the others that show in the e-mail itself out of the message.
@tessah (6621)
i really didnt think sending an email to more than one person at a time was that big of a deal. but then.. i dont have 17,000 people in my address book.. those i send an email to en masse are intelligent people that generally dont add people they dont know to their address book just to try to feel popular and start emailng strangers. guess i expect too much from people to be using common sense in that one. i DID reply to all in this particular email yer refferring to, because sometimes.. public humilation is the only way to deal with a pr|ck whos being uppity. honestly.. i didnt even bother to read the list of email addys that were on the thing, and i never do.. so i wasnt aware itd be goin to you at all in the first place *shrugs*
@tessah (6621)
*smirX* smartass
@myklj999 (14846)
I had a friend who broke me of the mass mailing habit by copying all the addys from one I sent and bombarding my other friends and my family with spam emails to join all of his money making internet schemes and stuff.
@tessah (6621)
well yer "friend" was an idiot. *nod*
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
I sure Hope I haven't done this to you,but if i have please yell at me ok..
@flowerchilde (12518)
I don't send other's email addresses in mass mailing lists.. I even hesitate before including relatives and friends on the same mailing.. Usually don't but did just this morning.. Now I'm thinking it's better to send individual emails and forwards at all times. I don't send out many forwards either, as I rather dislike them myself.. and what gives me the right to stuff other people's inbox?