Intellectual imperatives.

What strikes many people about the Obamas is their intelligence. We're coming away from a period during which intelligence was suspect and fools were in the forefront.We are a nation of gifted thinkers, who have been ostracised and made the brunt of jokes for a very long time. From many sources I've read, Bill and Hillary Clinton had advisors to help them hide their brilliance, as if the average American is a complete idiot, and our politicians want to be sure we stay stupid. That way, we'll allow them to reward huge corporations for their horrible choices and actions, as we middle-class folk fall further and further into dire poverty! While the President-Elect is making appointments for Cabinet-level positions, couldn't he put together a think-tank of intellectual advisors, whose job it would be to get below the surface and help America once more excel? Where's Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or T. Boone Pickens when we need them?
@savypat (20246)
Look at T. Boone Pickens's web site for up to date info about him. He's one who is doing something to help our world, I think the others are also, they are just no in the public eye as much. The biggest problem is we have stupidity stuffed down our throats for so long we got use to it. I may not like Bush and his people but it's hard to believe that they are as stupid as they seem to be. I'll just bet there is a money angle behind our problems that we can't see. I do know that historically the rich get richer in times of trouble. My problem is I don't know enough to figure out how until it's all over.
Pickens and many others are actually seeking solutions. We need all the good ideas we can get!!!
@carolbee (16241)
I was so impressed many years ago with Barbara Jordan who was a politician from Texas. She lost her life a bit too early before she could get her fingers in this political ring and move our country forward. President Elect Obama speaks very well and hope he follows through with certain policies he wants to put into place. I'd like to call him the Whiz Kid but it may be too early to give him that label.
Barbara Jordan's brilliance was more of a problem for her campaign than her race. Just look at history and what happened to someone like Adlai Stephenson. The average person seemed afraid smart people would make them look stupid. We need, innstead, to look at intelligence as a positive character trait for a change! Whiz Kids are sorely needed in today's comples society!
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I think that we have allowed for our elected officals to act or actually be that dumb for way too long. People complain about our education system but, we continue to elect "average Joe" for high positions. What do they know about fixing the problems that face this nation? As an average Jane I don't know how to. I want my leader smarter than myself and my neighbor. I have been so disappointed with this election cycle with all the hate and racial divid that has gone on but, I wonder how many of these parents that have said in front of their children that Obama needs to be killed have actually read a book to them. Stop voting for "just like me" it isn't getting us anywhere.
The Clintons actually had people on staff to help them tone down their intelligence because the average American didn't want brainiacs in office. We need intelligence there, at the very least! Instead of picking on the Obamas for being highly educated, we need to show people that they're a good, happy family with brains, and they're to be emulated.
@redhotpogo (4397)
Bill gates stole microsoft, I don't know much about steve jobs, and I saw T. Boone Pickens speak. I hope its an act, cause he seems like we'll.... he seems a little "special"
They are not going to be ordinary, or they wouldn't have the talents we need. Bill Gates and his wife give literally billions of dollars to charities and schools. They also provide training and personnel for these places so that they can make the best use of what they have. T. Boone Pickens is trying to get people to band together to promote true alternatives to foreign oil. Windmills do a great deal for us if we let them. But they're even stronger as symbols of the relative ease with which a lot of the energy we use can be cleaner and cheaper, as well as much more logical. Steve Jobs continues with developing peaceful-use-only electronics, primarily for prosthetics, etc. They are people who are making the bst use of what they have, and realizing we are, indeed, our brothers' and sisters' keepers.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Pickens....hmmm...I dunno, I'd question a man who suggests putting up a ton of windmills in the middle of tornado alley and have our nation depend on them for central power. And natural gas for vehicals, great idea on the surface. but as cheap as natural gas is now, what happens when the demand surges 100 fold because we're using it for motor fuel?
these people are not smart they are rich. They didn't become rich off of their own smarts, they became rich from other people's smarts. People that weren't in the position to use their own ideas to benefit themselves, so they gave them to these people for a small amount of money, or it was just completely stolen as is bill gates case. we don't need greedy rich people to solve our problems. We have been trying that for years. Its not working.
@murderistic (2280)
"Rarely is the question asked - is our children learning?" - George Bush
We also need to ask "what are they learning".
Hmmm... actually I was just using that quote as a joke. haha.
They'd be learning a lot more and a lot better if there were a lot fewer overseers out there nitpicking and more teachers and students able to do what they're in school to do. Yes, Dubya did say something that stupid, and he stood behind it al the way!
@newtondak (3950)
Unfortunately, our leaders won't tap those resources - they don't want to admit that they don't know it all. It is, however, probably in our best interests for those people to remain outside of politics - they can have greater impact in the private sector.
We need those attributes, at least at the start, to get a new administration started on its way to solving the horrible problems we're stuck in now!
Want smarter Americans? Then fix the education system in this country. That is where the problem lies. We spend more money per student than some other countries and they have better scores than us. It has been talked about for a long long time but no president or congress in recent history has really done anything about it.
That was (I think) the basis for the No Child Left Behind programs. They've caused more students than ever to drop out and more teachers than ever to give up on the profession. Accountability is one thing, but when we spend five times as much of our time doing totally unnecessary papaerwork than we can spend teaching, it's totally counterproductive. I teach in the state that has the third-lowest expenditure per student, and budget cuts are piled on daily. Now they're instituting Adopt-A-Classroom to try to get the public to pay for unimportant things like paper, books, etc. Approximately 400 more people are being let go this week, which is going to have to mean losing our young teachers, whom we need so badly as we oldsters approach retirement.