What is it to be blind

@mayka123 (10598)
Helen Keller who was both blind and deaf had said in her essay 'Three days to see' "I have often throught that it would be a blessing if each human being were stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some time during his early adult life." If you were struck blind and deaf for three days what would you do in those three days?
@Roseo8 (2947)
Hi mayka......helen Keller was a great spirited woman who despite the fact that she became deaf and blind at a young age ,due to some illness,went on to make history by graduating and working as a teacher and social activist despite her handicap. But to become blind and deaf for even three minutes will be a real ordeal to me...And I am sure I will spent the time fumbling in the dark and will hopelessly become a nervous wreck..... Yes but I agree with what you are getting at.Its only if a normal person goes through these ordeals ,even for a short time,they will be able to realise the ordeals of these physically impaired people,and will be able identify with them better.Very often we tend to look at such people with pity,without realising that they have greater potential in them which can be brought out by helping them and encouraging them along......
@mayka123 (10598)
You are right in saying that the physically impaired people do not need out pity but our help. I once had a friend who was blind and would travel to work with us everyday. She would only once ask her daughter the colour of her earrings and bangles and the next time she wore a particular saree it would be with all mathing jewellery. Inspite of being blind she was very particular about her looks which I found very surprising. She would never like us helping her to walk on the road and would manage herself very nicely. We need to learn a lot from these people.
@Roseo8 (2947)
Infact Makya,its said that we should refer to these people not as physically handicapped,but physically challenged people.And its said that blind people have extraordinary sense of hearing and smell too ,which often make up for their lack of sight........
@mayka123 (10598)
Their sense of touch is also amazing. I remember my friend would feel each one's hand and say hello to us addressing us by our names. We did not have to open our mouths to speak for her to be able to recognize our voices.
@nanajanet (4436)
I think that we should all spend time in all other people's shoes for a week. What would I do? I would learn blind sign language, and work on my other senses. I would take time to pray and ponder.
@mayka123 (10598)
I think in three days you could just pray and ponder. And what sign language would the blind have?
@nanajanet (4436)
Sign language for the deaf/blind goes into the hand of the blind person so they can "feel" the words. Have you ever seen either of the movies about Helen Keller? She was an incredible woman.
@mayka123 (10598)
I have not had the chance to see any of Helen Kellers movies.
@dpk262006 (56170)
It is difficult to answer and imagine the situation, if we stuck blind and deaf for few days. I think, life would be very difficult, because we are used to visualise and hear everything. If we become visually handicapped and our hearing gets impaired, we may not feel and realise many things. We can use our wild imagination and guess work for things lying around us. As we would be deaf, so whenever we start feeling that someone is talking, we might thing that he/she would be talking about us only. I think, atleast for a temporary phase, I'll go mad and feel disgusted, if I have to face any such situation, before coming to terms........LOL! Very Good Post!!
@mayka123 (10598)
I think if we are blind, deaf and dumb for three days we would just end up in one place crying and feeling disgusted. For us to get used to being handicapped would take about a month or so. It is difficult to get used to using the other senses that the blind and deaf use to go about their daily task. It is a position that I would never want to be in.
@dpk262006 (56170)
You are quite right, we people do not any idea, how to use our other senses in our bodies, as are used by visually handicapped or deaf persons. No one would like to be in that position, for that matter. I recently read about two persons, they both become visually handicapped in their teens, one of them is working in IBM and another one is in a MNC, at a very good positions.
@Sreekala (22957)
Oh My GOD, I can't even think about the same because it is really horrible,then how can I say what I should do on those days. I am thinking about those who are physically challenged people. May be they are incapable of watch, hear and talk but most of them are really talented. In my native place, near our village there is a school for these children, and they have their own music troop and I can't explain how beautify they sing songs, really amazing. GOD has given some extra talents to cope with their difficulties.
@mayka123 (10598)
God has given all of us some special talents. And when he takes away something he makes up by giving us double dose of shomething else. They blind go by their ear and that is why they are very good at music. From childhood they learn to listen and that is why they are able to pick up music. We have to learn to listen to the sounds around us.
@Sreekala (22957)
Yes you are right.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hi Mayka Hellen Keller was brave woman and good writer there are few people who dont let these shortcomings take over them and fight and get their names in history If i have to face it , even for three days, i will be shocked and in perplexed situation as what to do.
@mayka123 (10598)
Helen Keller was indeed a brave woman and she wished for just three days to see so that she could just soak in the beauty around her and cherish those memories for a whole life. We have to learn to appreciate whatever good qualities we have and learn to live with our shortcomings.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
yeah u r right buit contentment, where to find it
@savypat (20246)
A very difficult question. Do I know it's only for 3 days? Where am I when it happens? Am I alone or are others with me? and that's just a start of the variables. The first thing I would do is study my remaining senses. Then I would try to locate myself and start to figure out what to do. If I was safe and in familiar surroundings I guess I would start to explore my loss. At the end of three days I would certainly be familiar with my condition and would have done some modification to accommodate the changes. I would never regard the world the same after having this experience.
@mayka123 (10598)
By the time you get familiar with your condition it will be the end of three days. It is really difficult to comprehend others loss until we experience it ourselves. I have tried closing my eyes for sometime and then tried going about my daily chores...it was just impossible inspite of me studying the placement of things before closing my eyes.
@nini89 (670)
Hi! Being blind and deaf for me I think it will be very very difficult as we were not like that. The people who are dear and blind they themselves know each and every creature in the universe as the god has given some kind of awareness. Duff and blind people go for services and they do all sorts of work. I pray to god always keep each and everyone healthy till alive. If accidently blind and duff occurs we cant help it. Happy mylotting and have a nice day.
@mayka123 (10598)
The deaf and the blind people go about the normal routine in a much more organized way that we do. But it is very bad for a person to be both deaf and blind as then it will be impossible for him to do anything at all. I would not wish this to happen to anyone. Thanks for joining the disucsion. Happy mylotting and have a nice weekend.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
cry alot i would imagine. that would be devastating. hope that doesn't happen to anyone.
@mayka123 (10598)
I too would never wish this to happen to anyone.
@guybrush (4661)
I think it would give us some very valuable thinking time. We could reassess the way we judged people on how they look - and we'd have to come to the conclusion we should judge people by their actions and words rather than the packaging on the outside.
@mayka123 (10598)
We have to stop judging a person only by their looks. And we have to appreciate what we have. The outer packaging may fool us many a times.
@riyasam (16578)
i would feel so good,.actually there are many instances in my life,where i have to act like a deaf and dumb person.many times i have to close my eyes and my ears to some of the things my loved ones do(which i normally do not approve),maybe it is because i love them.
@cyberfluf (5005)
• Netherlands
If it would happen unsuspectedly I would freak out at first. When I would have calmed down I would most likely spend my time filosofing about many different things and try how to communicate with my surroundings. I would also cuddle with my cats a lot because I allways do so and I would still have the sense of touching their soft fur so that would make me happy.