A demotion--- but it's a good thing!

A couple weeks ago we learned there is a possiblity my husband will be demoted from his current position. It seems his company just hired someone from their competitor who's held that position for like 20 years, in that same neighborhood. My husband has only had this position since March. It makes business since to put this new guy in that store as the GM, so my husband will be demoted and sent to another store. This is actually going to be a good thing for us! Financially it's not going to make a huge difference. He's only losing $2,000 a year, but he will actually get bonuses now in his new position, which would normally be around $200 a month. It could be more, but probably won't be. But what's going to work in our favor is that he will actually be home a bit more often. First of all, the store he's going to is only 15 minutes away, where as the store he is at now is over half an hour away. Secondly, right now he is a salary employee. It is mandatory that he put in 50 hours a week, but he usually averages 55, sometimes more. At least 1 week out of the month he has to work 6 days. And some of you remember back a few months ago when he worked a whole 2 months without a day off at all, and couldn't even leave early! Well now he is going to be an hourly employee, and they do not allow their hourly employees to work over 50 hours at all! This demotion will take place sometime mid December, but his boss has already told him he will keep his currently salary until the 1st of January, so that will help us get through the Holiday season. Then the boss promised him a raise shortly there after as long as the store is making money. The beauty of it is, the position he is going to, is the one he likes the best, and the one he is the best at. He only took the GM position because it was more money, but he hates being a GM. He used to be the Accounts Manager, and technically assistant manager. He runs the collections department, and runs the store if the GM isn't there. So now he will be happier with his job, have more time for his family, and won't be losing too much money. I'm actually very excited about this, and he is too. Wouldn't you be? Have you ever had a bad thing actually be a blessing?
@camomom (7536)
That sounds great for you guys. Hey, you can reapply for assistance too since you should be within the income guidelines too. It sounds like an awesome gift to your family from the powers that be.
I had thought of that. It should help a lot. Between his bonuses and the assistance, and the savings in gas, we may end up having more money than we do now. Which will help us out a lot, since his job isn't the only thing that's about to be changing.
@camomom (7536)
Sounds like it's a great thing for you, you probably will be better off. We are better off without me working.
@gemini_rose (16194)
That sounds great for you all! Well where my hubby works since about April there have been over 1000 redundancies made, now my hubby has managed to escape them so far. He had decided he was going to change his career earlier this year and so the threat of redundancy has made him take action more sooner in this respect and that is what he is working on at the minute he is taking a course to be a HGV driver which is more money than he is getting now as they have had a big pay cut. When the last lot of redundancies were announced he was going to put his name down because the money would have paid for his course, but when we thought about it we realised that if anything went wrong and we ended up needing help with the mortgage or needed to claim benefits we would not be able to because if he takes redundancy they would say he left the job and so would not pay anything. So he is staying where he is until he passes the course or is made redundant, we are hoping actually that it works out to our advantage because if he can take the course before or just after christmas and passes he will have another job straightaway working for his Uncle and if redundancies come up where he is now then he can take it and we get a nice pay out!
That will be good for him. My husband is making so much right now. We actually looked into one of us going back to school to get a degree, and as it turns out, even with a degree we'd be earning less money than he is right now, or even how much he will be once he's demoted. So I guess I shouldn't complain.
@jonesy123 (3950)
I'm glad this is working out for you. Yes sometimes bad news can actually be good news. Not everybody necessarily sees it right away the way you guys do, but often the way things work out one is better off than before.
I was really angry at first, it seemed like a slap in the face. He told them he'd only take the demotion if his pay stayed the same, otherwise he'd quit. Then when they told him his pay would decrease we were made again, and I told him he should quit. I wanted him to leave right then and there. But after I thought about it for awhile, I realized that even though it would be a little less money, in the long run it would be better for us. I need him home more than I need money.
@sk66rc (4261)
I know sometimes situation like this can work for your benefit. One of the place I used to work, I was on commission. I used to put in about 32 - 35 hours a week & made more than 90% of the people that worked there & put in 45 - 50 hours a week. One day they told me there was a management position avaliable & they wanted me to take it. Turns out that over all, I ended up taking a pay-cut. After 30 days, I told them I wanted to step down from the management position & go back to commission sales person. While I was on commission, I was averaging $35 - $40/hour. When I got promoted, in comparison to hours I was putting in, I was making $22 - $24/hour. Why would I wanna put more hours into work & make less money doing it? They didn't have answer for that.
When I used to work for Pizza Hut, I started as a driver, then became a server. I was making a lot of money as a server, but then decided to start training for management. Before I took the position I realized it was stupid. Shift managers only made $7 an hour but as a server I was making a lot more than that.